Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't use Lightroom  (Read 2051 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
I don't use Lightroom
« on: November 28, 2007, 08:43:36 am »

I have some superficial knowledge of Lightroom.  When it was in Beta, I downloaded it and experimented with it.  I liked Lightroom, but didn't really NEED it.  

At the time, I was using Elements with its pretty good organizer that could do stacks and versions.  I don't know why they can't bundle organizer with Photoshop CS products.  

Now for my situation...I make large panoramic images using PTAssembler and CS3.  So, I have a workflow that is a bit untraditional.

1) Downloading: I use downloader pro to make filenames I like, and place files in folder structures by shoot date and job code.  I like how this is working.
2) Raw Processing: I open between five and eighty images at one time in ACR to synchronize the white balance, exposure, and sharpness settings.

a ) If going to PTAssembler for stitching, I save to a new location as TIFF.
    b ) If going to CS3 (generally for panos under 25 images or where complex masks are unneeded) I simply apply the raw settings and say "Done."

3) Panoramic processing: I use PTAssembler or CS3 to stitch the large resolution images.  the output files frequently far exceed the thumbnail preview size in Bridge (even though I have increased it to 600MB). For CS3 stitch, I simply select raw images and use Bridge menu to pick panoramic stitch.
4) Open panoramic output file and edit masks in CS3.  
5) Complete normal photo optimization and editing in CS3. Save as PSD
6) Assign metadata to panoramic image.

How would I do this in Lightroom?
How would Lightroom handle working with so many images simultaneously.  It seems to break the model a bit.
I am frustrated with the buggy tagging support in Bridge, will I be happier in Lightroom?

I hate to admit it, but I see lightroom as very nice image browser with ACR.  But, Bridge does okay at browsing images.  I hate buying software and seeing it doesn't meet my needs.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 08:44:25 am by fike »
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: [1]   Go Up