Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Printer Utility  (Read 9164 times)

Mary K

HP Printer Utility
« on: November 26, 2007, 07:18:19 pm »

I have an HP Z3100 44" printer, and I am operating it from a new Windows Vista 32 bit PC.  I installed the latest drivers and the Printer Utility on Saturday after setting up the PC.  I also installed Photoshop CS3 and the new printer updates from Adobe on the same day.

Prints originating from CS3 would not position themselves on the paper properly, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer driver and the HP Printer Utility.  Now, when I double click on the Printer Utility I get a message saying "The address is not valid".  I uninstalled and reinstalled once more, but with the same results.  I redownloaded the drivers and print utility before installing the second time.  

I called HP Tech Support this morning, and they had me redownload the driver and print utility and do another uninstall-reinstall, with the same result.  They then told me that they were emailing a "scrubber file" so I could remove all instances of the printer drivers and print utility for sure before doing another reinstall.  I was told the email would arrive in less then 2 hours, called them back 4 hours later to see where the email was, and they told me that it sometimes takes 6-8 hours to get the email.  It has now been over 8 hours and I still don't have the scrubber file.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you resolve the issue?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:08:27 pm by Mary K »
Mary Konchar

rdonson

HP Printer Utility
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 10:08:39 pm »

How is your PC connected to your printer?  If ethernet, check to see if your firewall is blocking communications and giving you the message "address is not valid".
Regards,
Ron

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
HP Printer Utility
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 11:01:45 pm »

I had a similar problem with my B9180; Vista's Firewall was blocking hpznui01.exe from accessing the network.  To fix, open Windows Firewall (tip: Start Button | Type "firewall" in Search Box)

Click on Inbound Rules in Left List - my system showed as follows:

Right click each instance of your print monitor and Enable Rule . . .

hth - John

Mary K

HP Printer Utility
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 05:49:36 am »

I am connected directly to the printer via USB.  I installed AVG Internet Security the same day that this problem showed up, so perhaps AVG is stopping the program.  I've emailed their tech support and am hoping they will have a solution.

On another note, it has been over 17 hours since HP tech support sent me an email containing a scrubber program that they want me to run, and I still haven't received it.  I talked to them again last evening and had them resend the email, but it too has not arrived after 10 hours.  They verified my email address both times they sent it, and it is not caught in my spam filter.  Apparently they have to route their emails through another server on their system before it gets sent out.  

Unbelievable!

Mary
Mary Konchar

Harry Carpenter

HP Printer Utility
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 08:19:54 am »

Hi Mary I would have to say that this is unlikely to be a HP driver issue and that it is very likely to be a setting within the Vista firewall or the AVG security settings. Is it possible that both Vista and AVG are both running firewalls, as this will always cause problems with them conflicting with each other.
With regards the missing email, set up a yahoo or gmail account and have the mail sent to that address, as it maya agin be that AVG or Vista is blocking it for some reason.
It is also usual for a large company to send out email via additional servers if only for security so again I suspect it is not a fault at HP.

If in doubt, disconnect from the internet and disable both AVG and Vista firewall and see if you can see the printer then. You will also get a more reliable connection to the printer via an ethernet connection rather than USB.

Mary K

HP Printer Utility
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 03:01:24 pm »

Okay, I uninstalled AVG, the printer drivers and the HP Printer Utilities.  I ran Registry Mechanic, then  I  reinstalled the printer drivers and the printer utility.  I tried starting the Printer Utility and got the same message:  The address is not valid.

Since AVG was not installed I figured that it wasn't the problem, so I reinstalled AVG.

Still waiting on  HP at this  time - they told me that they were sending the scrubber again this morning -- they have been trying my gmail address, and I now asked them to send it to my comcast address too.

The Windows firewall is, and has been, disabled.
Mary Konchar

Mary K

HP Printer Utility
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 03:04:53 pm »

Perhaps I need to clarify something.  I can see the printer in control panel, and I can print a test from it.  I just cannot get the Printer Utility to run.
Mary Konchar

Mary K

HP Printer Utility
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 06:33:45 pm »

Well, I've been on the phone with HP tech support for about 2 hours. I had already run the scrubber files and did a reinstall, but that didn't solve the problem. After jumping through all the hoops that tech support wanted to try without any success, the technician flat out told me that they couldn't get the Z3100 printer to work on Vista. His suggestion was for me to either do a  system wipe and reinstall, or to call HP and tell them I didn't want the new computer because Vista can't run this printer. He said the system wipe would only work for awhile, and that the next time I had to install drivers I would start to have problems again.

It has been three agonizing days!  I'm letting the batteries charge back up on my phone, then I guess I'll call the desktop support people.
Mary Konchar

Frank Remar

HP Printer Utility
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 05:40:42 pm »

Well, I've been on the phone with HP tech support for about 2 hours. I had already run the scrubber files and did a reinstall, but that didn't solve the problem. After jumping through all the hoops that tech support wanted to try without any success, the technician flat out told me that they couldn't get the Z3100 printer to work on Vista. His suggestion was for me to either do a  system wipe and reinstall, or to call HP and tell them I didn't want the new computer because Vista can't run this printer. He said the system wipe would only work for awhile, and that the next time I had to install drivers I would start to have problems again.

It has been three agonizing days!  I'm letting the batteries charge back up on my phone, then I guess I'll call the desktop support people.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156530\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been trying unsuccessfully since last July to get my 24" Z3100 to run on a Windows Vista 32 bit PC that I purchased specifically for my printer workstation after my vendor assured me that the Z3100 was compatible with Vista.  I gave up and backed off unitl the new drivers and print utility were released at the end of October.

I began trying to make it work again last week.  Like Mary, I am able to access the printer from the control panel and print a test page, but I can not install the print utility.  I downloaded the new print utility and go through the installation wizard.  When I click "install" I get the following message: "Error 1720.  There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A script required for this install to complete could not be run.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I also spent 2 hours yesterday with HP technical support and they are completely clueless.  We did various uninstalls and reinstalls and enables and disables to no avail.  The bottom line was they have never heard of error 1720 and their resolution was that a new release of the print utility is coming out at the end of the year and maybe that will solve the problem.  I guess that is consistent with what Mary was told - that they can't get the Z3100 to run on Vista.  I find it absolutely incredible to be in this position after Vista has been out for a year.

Has anyone else encountered error 1720 and is there a solution or should I just quit waisting my time.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
HP Printer Utility
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 12:27:50 am »

I downloaded the new print utility and go through the installation wizard.  When I click "install" I get the following message: "Error 1720.  There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A script required for this install to complete could not be run.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157084\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A 1720 Error usually either indicates an outdated  version of Windows Installer (unlikely with Vista !!)  or some problem executing an included script - either a permissions issue or possibly a file path issue.   Vista has changed the locations of system user folders likely confusing scripts that were hard coded to use XP or Win2K folder locations.

Try creating a folder right off of C:  ( c:\temp ) and copying and executing the installation package there.  Let us know . . .

Frank Remar

HP Printer Utility
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 05:59:11 pm »

A 1720 Error usually either indicates an outdated  version of Windows Installer (unlikely with Vista !!)  or some problem executing an included script - either a permissions issue or possibly a file path issue.   Vista has changed the locations of system user folders likely confusing scripts that were hard coded to use XP or Win2K folder locations.

Try creating a folder right off of C:  ( c:\temp ) and copying and executing the installation package there.  Let us know . . .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157164\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for the suggestion.  I downloaded the print utility directly to C: and executed the installation package directly from C: and received the same 1720 error message.
Pages: [1]   Go Up