Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF8100 Firmware version 1.31  (Read 4057 times)

mcmorrison

iPF8100 Firmware version 1.31
« on: November 26, 2007, 04:42:25 pm »

Hello,

Does anyone know what differences version 1.31 of the iPF8100 firmware brings? Will it affect existing profiles?

Thanks!

Michael Morrison

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 06:39:21 pm »

Does anyone know what differences version 1.31 of the iPF8100 firmware brings? Will it affect existing profiles?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From the Wiki Home Page:

Here is the description form Canon USA: "iPF5000 Firmware Update Ver1.31 for Win2K or later. To improve the printer function, the firmware has been upgraded. These modifications apply to all current and existing models. During the Sleep Mode, when printing from the network, there is a case that the printer may not return from Sleep Mode. This problem has been corrected. The ink agitator movement may rarely function when returning from Sleep Mode. This problem has been corrected. Perform the optimization of waste ink amount (Reduction of pre-firing amount)."

--John

mcmorrison

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 09:27:02 pm »

Hello John,

Thanks for the info. I guess one can read between the lines and assume that these changes apply to the 8100 on the Mac as well, and that these are the only changes made. My apologies if I asked a redundant question, I perhaps should have been clearer. . . Is it your understanding that the step from 1.02 to 1.31 does not affect the dithering pattern, or other features that will affect profiles? It sounds like this is the case, but it is not always clear from Canon, nor explicit!

Again, many thanks,

Michael Morrison

John Hollenberg

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 10:10:18 am »

Thanks for the info. I guess one can read between the lines and assume that these changes apply to the 8100 on the Mac as well, and that these are the only changes made. My apologies if I asked a redundant question, I perhaps should have been clearer. . . Is it your understanding that the step from 1.02 to 1.31 does not affect the dithering pattern, or other features that will affect profiles? It sounds like this is the case, but it is not always clear from Canon, nor explicit!

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, there was a change in firmware 1.23 that improved the dithering/screening pattern:

[a href=\"http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Latest+Drivers%2C+Plugin%2C+Firmware+and+Utilities]http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Latest+Driv...e+and+Utilities[/url]

(near bottom of page)

Presumably one might need new profiles for 1.23 onward, but not really sure about this.

--John

mcmorrison

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 10:23:33 am »

Hello John,

Thanks again for the link.  I guess that part of my question follows from uncertainty about whether the firmware updates are the same for all the iPF printers, or different for each model. The iPF8100 shipped with firmware 1.02, and they recently posted firmware 1.31 on the Canon USA site. I have the iPF5000 firmware v 1.31, but it wouldn't install on the 8100, while the 1.31 update from the 8100 page did. Are they different? Presumably they share some attributes, but which ones? Firmware 1.25 has been around for awhile, but was not shipped with the new 8100, so is the 8100's 1.02 firmware equivalent to the 5000's 1.25?

In the end, I guess it doesn't make too much difference, except for deciding whether to re-profile or not after updating. I have spoken with Canon support, and they were not aware of the 1.31 update, nor could they tell me anything about what had changed. They tell me they will get back to me with what they can learn, and I'll post a report if I learn anything of interest!

Thanks again,

Michael Morrison

John Hollenberg

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 02:30:30 pm »

My guess (and this is purely a guess) is that 1.02 for the iPF8100 would probably have the newer screening/dither of 1.23 and later for iPF5000.  Thus I would not expect you to need to re-profile going from 1.02 to 1.31 on the iPF8100.  Wish we had more info; obviously Canon USA doesn't have the info either (and no, I don't think they are withholding it.  I think they don't get any info from Canon Japan on these sort of issues).

--John
Pages: [1]   Go Up