Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out of Gamut:Canned vs Z3100 profiles  (Read 2495 times)

walter.sk

Out of Gamut:Canned vs Z3100 profiles
« on: November 26, 2007, 09:22:13 am »

I calibrated and made a profile for a Bergger PN33 paper on the Z3100ps.  I got a print with gray splotches in highly saturated areas.  I went back and softproofed the image in CS3, using the Bergger profile I had generated, and the Out Of Gamut warning covered areas of the picture with the dreaded gray.

I down loaded Bergger's new Z3100 profile for that paper.  When I softproofed the same image in CS3 using their canned profile, *nothing* in the image showed up as out of gamut.  Their canned profile was much better than the one generated by my Z3100.

I had selected Fine Art Paper >250 gsm, as this paper is 300 gsm.  It is also textured.
I used the profiling target that would fit on 13x19 sheets, which is the size of the paper I have.

Is this the best I can expect from the Z3100 advanced profiling software and builit in spectro combination?  I went back and softproofed some images for the Epson Enhanced Matte profile I made, and it, too, showed Out Of Gamut areas.

There's gotta be a better way, for example, to know what paper-types to choose in setting up the printer for profiling.  I downloaded the latest HP white paper on profiling non-HP papers, but that still leaves a large, vague and unspecified area of information needed for us to make the best choice for a given paper.

I also checked out the Wikipedia website where some information about Z3100 profiles are posted, but that was not much help with the Bergger paper.

I think it would be good on the Luminous Landscape forums to have a spot for Z3100 profiles, not necessarily to post profiles, but at least the choices of paper type that have produced successful profiles using the built in spectro and APS.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:24:23 am by walter.sk »

rdonson

Out of Gamut:Canned vs Z3100 profiles
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 10:24:06 am »

I calibrated and made a profile for a Bergger PN33 paper on the Z3100ps.  I got a print with gray splotches in highly saturated areas.  I went back and softproofed the image in CS3, using the Bergger profile I had generated, and the Out Of Gamut warning covered areas of the picture with the dreaded gray.

I down loaded Bergger's new Z3100 profile for that paper.  When I softproofed the same image in CS3 using their canned profile, *nothing* in the image showed up as out of gamut.  Their canned profile was much better than the one generated by my Z3100.

I had selected Fine Art Paper >250 gsm, as this paper is 300 gsm.  It is also textured.
I used the profiling target that would fit on 13x19 sheets, which is the size of the paper I have.

Is this the best I can expect from the Z3100 advanced profiling software and builit in spectro combination?  I went back and softproofed some images for the Epson Enhanced Matte profile I made, and it, too, showed Out Of Gamut areas.

There's gotta be a better way, for example, to know what paper-types to choose in setting up the printer for profiling.  I downloaded the latest HP white paper on profiling non-HP papers, but that still leaves a large, vague and unspecified area of information needed for us to make the best choice for a given paper.

I also checked out the Wikipedia website where some information about Z3100 profiles are posted, but that was not much help with the Bergger paper.

I think it would be good on the Luminous Landscape forums to have a spot for Z3100 profiles, not necessarily to post profiles, but at least the choices of paper type that have produced successful profiles using the built in spectro and APS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156076\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You don't mention how the print came out with the Bergger's profile.  The proof is in the pudding so to speak.  Softproofing is one thing, the actual output another.  I have a lot of images that will show out of gamut on most if not all matte papers even on the best profiles.  Its not a matter of the profile, its a limitation with the paper.  You can't expect matte papers to have the same gamut and DMax as a glossy or satin paper.  

You also don't mention if you made any adjustments to the image for printing based on softproofing.  

FWIW I think you chose the proper paper type for creating the profile.  What options were you using for creating the profile?  (profile version, luminant, etc.)
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up