Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Purple blotches on Leaf Aptus 75S files  (Read 13915 times)

jing q

• we are super
Purple blotches on Leaf Aptus 75S files
« on: November 26, 2007, 07:55:57 am »

I'm getting purple blotches on my files shot in tungsten lighting. I tried 200 ISO and 400 ISO. appears on both settings. This was shot tethered.
I'm attaching the file. I upped the exposure by 0.5 on the brightness scale in Leaf Capture 11. Even without any exposure adjustment the purple blotches aer obvious, and you can see it in the midtone white of the profoto box

Is there a fix for this? It happened a month ago when I was testing it (direct to CF card) and seemingly went away, and today it came back again.Seems pretty serious

I also had a problem where the top half of the image is purple and bottom half is green, when shot in sunlight with strobe fill, 100 ISO
Is there a fix for this problem?

I'll post up more images if I see more problems on my shoot today

I would appreciate it if people who've experienced similar problems or have a Leaf back can chime in, and appreciate that this thread doesn't turn into a rant zone, thanks.,
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 07:58:08 am by jing q »

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 05:58:33 pm »

So my Leaf back was replaced by Leaf America, big shout out to Rick who was amazingly quick about it.
I went about testing it today and was blown away by the quality.
I tested in TUNGSTEN light because I wanted to see how well it handled such situations...

in ISO 200 with a 35mm Mamiya at f/3.5 wide open and at 1/40s and 1/80s respectively (it's not a scientific test ok so...take it with a pinch of salt) and processed in ACR, sharpening was left at default of 25 and radius 1, and no colour or luminance reduction.(sliders left at 0)

This is the image at ISO 200 without exposure adjustment

This is the image at ISO 400 without exposure adjustment

This is a 100% zoom of the shadow area ISO 200 image, without exposure adjustment

This is a 100% zoom of the shadow area ISO 400 image, without exposure adjustment

This is a 100% zoom of the shadow area ISO 200 image, with exposure adjustment of 2.00 stops

This is a 100% zoom of the shadow area ISO 400 image, with exposure adjustment of 2.00 stops

Those of you who keep harping on exposing to the right, I have to say that even I wasn't expecting this much latitude with the shadows on my back. My previous back had serious problems compared to this replacement one..

I don't see any strange colours or clumps even when I push the exposure up.

Pity the back wasn't available for my shoot yesterday...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 05:59:07 pm by jing q »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 06:00:04 pm »

And if you exposed to the right, the noise would be even lower...

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:02:36 pm »

for comparisons sake I pushed the ISO 200 image up by 3.00 stops and interestingly the noise structure seems finer than the ISO 400 image pushed up 2.00 stops...

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 06:05:36 pm »

And if you exposed to the right, the noise would be even lower...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

of course.
but just be aware that striations and clumps of strange colour are not necessarily directly related to underexposure.

Even if the image is underexposed on the Leaf back and brought up by a few stops the only thing that gets added to the picture is more noise, which is what I experienced with a hasselblad 39megapixel back also.

It would be helpful if some reps came and clarified the effects of underexposure on a MF DB image.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

of course.
but just be aware that striations and clumps of strange colour are not necessarily directly related to underexposure.

Even if the image is underexposed on the Leaf back and brought up by a few stops the only thing that gets added to the picture is more noise, which is what I experienced with a hasselblad 39megapixel back also.

It would be helpful if some reps came and clarified the effects of underexposure on a MF DB image.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Your back is doing much better than my P45+ which stripes all over the place in the shadows.  I think there is zero reason to pay the Phase price and VA warranty add-on to get something that stripes and blooms, and a dealer who does not stand behind the product.

Of course  my dealer (Prophot in Paris) thinks that now I have paid there is little reason in helping me, all they need is keep telling me everything is fine until I go away, after all I have already paid. The problem is that Phase has subdealers, I got my back from Le Moyen Format in Paris who are honest, and now suddenly have to deal with Prophot who are the reps and couldn't care less.

My recommendation to everybody on this forum is learn from the respective responsiveness of the two brands  to complaints about high ISO issues, and avoid buying Phase if good ISO 400 performance is required.

Edmund
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:14:39 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

samuel_js

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 07:17:53 pm »

My recommendation to everybody on this forum is learn from the respective responsiveness of the two brands  to complaints about high ISO issues, and avoid buying Phase if good ISO 400 performance is required.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158251\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edmund, my P21 performs flawless at 400 or 800. I can't complain.

eronald

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 07:24:15 pm »

Edmund, my P21 performs flawless at 400 or 800. I can't complain.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158262\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wait, I will put up a Raw file of a 400 ISO shot similar to the gentleman's above, and you can examine the shadow areas yourself. Note that you have a P21, not a P45+, and probably a dealer who doesn't compete with his subdealers.

Edmund
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:31:20 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

samuel_js

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 07:32:49 pm »

Maybe you want to buy my back from me at 20% discount ? I'm not going to be able to get warranty service on it from Phase here in Paris.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158263\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It seems your dealer isn't helping you so much. Here in Sweden, it's been great so long. I'm planning to switch over to the new Phase One camera as soon is out and leave my H2 .But I won't move from phase one. Customer support and quality has been amazing. My first P21 had a fault, horizontal lines and problems writing to the card. My dealer was on a trip in Paris. I called him on his cell phone and told him about the problem. He said "call xxxx and tell him I send you this is the phone number". This was Friday, next monday the new P21 arrives at 12:00 to my door with return package to send back the original. What can I say?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:06:18 pm by samuel_js »

eronald

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 07:54:48 pm »

Here is the sort of mess (horizontal steaks in the shadows)you can expect at ISO400 pushed one stop in C1 when using my P45+ This crop has been resized with nearest neighbour. Bands are usually visible even without pushing, in shadow zones. I will post the Raw itself for inspection next.

Re. my dealer, he is a subdealer. Phase have a "dealer/rep" in France who competes with his own subdealers. This rep, Prophot obviously could not care less about people who have purchased from a subdealer, as he has had to share the profit. The dealer "Le Moyen Format" have in the past supported me well with other brands (Canon, Leica) which is why I like doing business with them, but they cannot stand up to the Phase rep, and cannot deal directly with Phase.

Edmund

Edmund

It seems your dealer isn't helping you so much. Here in Sweden, it's been great so long. I'm planning to witch over to the new Phase One camera as soon is out and leave my H2 .But I won't move from phase one. Customer support and quality has been amazing. My first P21 had a fault, horizontal lines and problems writing to the card. My dealer was on a trip in Paris. I called him on his cell phone and told him about the problem. He said "call xxxx and tell him I send you this is the phone number". This was Friday, next monday the new P21 arrives at 12:00 to my door with return package to send back the original. What can I say?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158269\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:02:39 pm by eronald »

eronald

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 08:19:32 pm »

Samuel,

Here is the link to the Raw file, it has about 1 stop headroom, I believe, with the standard film curve. You can push it in C1 yourself and examine the shadow areas.

http://download.yousendit.com/D041A8CE06939BE1

Edmund

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 08:27:08 pm »

Edmund
if your dealer can't go directly to Phase you can... and you should. BTW let them know how act their rep.

samuel_js

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

Here is the sort of mess (horizontal steaks in the shadows)you can expect at ISO400 pushed one stop in C1 when using my P45+ This crop has been resized with nearest neighbour. Bands are usually visible even without pushing, in shadow zones. I will post the Raw itself for inspection next.

Re. my dealer, he is a subdealer. Phase have a "dealer/rep" in France who competes with his own subdealers. This rep, Prophot obviously could not care less about people who have purchased from a subdealer, as he has had to share the profit. The dealer "Le Moyen Format" have in the past supported me well with other brands (Canon, Leica) which is why I like doing business with them, but they cannot stand up to the Phase rep, and cannot deal directly with Phase.
Edmund
Edmund, I still have a few test shots from my first p21 (the faulty one) at ISO 800.
0.3 seconds at f.22. H2 with HC35 mm. Standard settings in CO:

Pushed shadows (faulty P21 see white dots)

/Samuel
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:40:01 pm by samuel_js »

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 08:36:14 pm »

Edmund
if your dealer can't go directly to Phase you can... and you should. BTW let them know how act their rep.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158283\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

my sentiments exactly
my original dealer contacted the asia side of Leaf and they basically blamed me for the problems. (went along the lines of "there could be hundreds of reasons for what he's seeing..." without even agreeing to inspect it or noting any problems!!!)
It takes a blind man not to see the issues noted in my earlier files.

Leaf America was blindingly wonderful , looking at my MOS files and telling me straightaway to send it in. One day after they received it, I got my back.
A-star, absolutely fantastic, I highly recommend them.

All this talk about the joy of dealer support justifying the price of MFDB...and there are so many lousy dealers out there.

eronald

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 09:20:40 pm »

my sentiments exactly
my original dealer contacted the asia side of Leaf and they basically blamed me for the problems. (went along the lines of "there could be hundreds of reasons for what he's seeing..." without even agreeing to inspect it or noting any problems!!!)
It takes a blind man not to see the issues noted in my earlier files.

Leaf America was blindingly wonderful , looking at my MOS files and telling me straightaway to send it in. One day after they received it, I got my back.
A-star, absolutely fantastic, I highly recommend them.

All this talk about the joy of dealer support justifying the price of MFDB...and there are so many lousy dealers out there.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158286\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've just forwarded my file above to Phase, and hope they won't cry "underexposed" again this time. I just hope that I will in the end get a P45+ that matches your Leaf back in hi-ISO shadow noise quality.

Edmund

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 03:35:15 am »

You should always be able to go directly to the manufacturer. You & the manufacturer basically have the same interests. It is amazing manufacturers are quite shy of communicating with the actual users.

I must admit in a lot of areas Leaf is very helpful towards its customers. They seem to understand that's important.

I just send a question to Hasselblad instead of answering they ask me where I live and want to send a dealer. The same dealer that still hasn't send me the items I ordered from them 4 months ago?

My reponse was that if I have to deal with a dealer I prefer one I can select myself and even when I live in the Netherlands I would prefer Steve Hendrix.  

I hope Phase will step in and fix whatever is wrong with your back quickly. Even if the back is perfect I am sure you feel too uncomfortable using it by now under the circumstances the problem occurs.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 03:36:38 am by Dustbak »

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 01:08:32 pm »

hmm... actually I would like to see some ISO 400 and ISO800 files, I feel the noise level is really high in my aptus 65, I would like to know is this normal.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 01:47:49 pm »

hmm... actually I would like to see some ISO 400 and ISO800 files, I feel the noise level is really high in my aptus 65, I would like to know is this normal.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158737\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hey ruey i'll be back in SG next week, if you want you can test mine out with yours

yaya

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 02:09:59 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158737\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ruey if you want you can send me a RAW file and I believe I'll be able to tell you if it is normal or not

Yair

samuel_js

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 02:52:34 pm »

I've just forwarded my file above to Phase, and hope they won't cry "underexposed" again this time. I just hope that I will in the end get a P45+ that matches your Leaf back in hi-ISO shadow noise quality.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158294\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Edmund, I've checked the RAW file. Actually, the stripes or striations can be seen in my monitor even before you push the exposure. It's more visible even when pushing about two stops but I can clearly see the the stripes at 50% magnification.

You should open a support case at phaseone.com. They will help you.

/Samuel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up