Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginner Needing Feedback on Southeastern US shots  (Read 3620 times)

htony

Beginner Needing Feedback on Southeastern US shots
« on: November 24, 2007, 11:29:42 am »

I can't figure out how to post pictures from an online picasa gallery because it gives me some dynamic message?

but I was able to link a gallery I created to my myspace page, so if anyone has a minute to give me some feedback on it I would appreciate it.  Feel free to be honest because you wont hurt my feelings

the pics are here on the left side of the page setup as a slideshow

myspace gallery

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:29:59 am by htony »
[url=http://picasaweb.google.com/tbharde

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 03:44:28 pm »

It's a bit hard to critique an entire body of work, especially when the subjects of the photos vary so widely. But in my opinion, you have a pretty good eye, and it's easy to see your intent with each photo.

I'd suggest that you work towards editing more tightly; that is, make the tough decisions to cut the ones that aren't up to the highest standards, and try organizing the different kinds of images into discreet bodies of work. You'll find that series of related images represent stronger than a mishmash of selections.

But overall, good exposure, decent composition, and I like that you're processing some as BW. Try looking at the images as collections and build separate portfolios and I think it will help guide your future shooting as well.
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 09:05:06 pm »

Some nice shots...but whoa...talk about distracting website. I think that is just my prejudice against MySpace.  You have decent tecnique, but I agree with what was said above, focus on some genres of photography to make a more coherent presentation.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Angst

• http://
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 09:38:26 pm »

A few technical notes on some really nice photos

Check Your Target - is crooked. Use the Straighten tool in whatever software you have. After you straighten, you can crop the arm on the far left, then you have a greatly improved shot.

Shallow Fog - seems crooked and is too "centered". Try to make horizon about 2/3rds up (more water) or down (more sky). Try NOT to cut photos in half.
Hopeful by Cedar Island - not centered and looks better for it. Needs straightening though.

Paris Morning - straighten center tree and its A+.
The Business End - straighten horizontally and its a winner too.

Last Man Standing is straight and wonderful. If you ever go back, walk up even closer and come back at different times of day when the light is different. There is a lot to that place! A lot more shots.

Negotiator - it is really distracting to have shells touch the border. Back of just a tad or cut them part out, as with the grip and mag.

you got 10 shots - nearly perfect except where the shells touch the border. a small amount of room would frame it perfectly.

You might tone down the copyright to a gray -- less distracting.

Excellent eye!  Is that the critique you wanted???
- Angst

htony

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 11:06:02 am »

thanks for the reviews.  I feel much more encouraged now. After looking over my pictures i feel they are very ordinary.  Maybe there is hope.  I will try some edits and get them back up.

Where do you guys host pictures that I can organize them and link them to discussions.

my gmail account, photo section doesn't work.  any though?

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 11:09:46 am »

thanks for the reviews.  I feel much more encouraged now. After looking over my pictures i feel they are very ordinary.  Maybe there is hope.  I will try some edits and get them back up.

Where do you guys host pictures that I can organize them and link them to discussions.

my gmail account, photo section doesn't work.  any though?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156101\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Smugmug seems to be a popular option that is very customizable.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

htony

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 11:19:05 am »

I finally found the time to edit and organize some of my shots and put thim in a web-album that should be viewable.  If you guys/gals get a chance to view them I would like some feedback.

Photos

Please ignore the football game shots.  I was just snaping away and have not edited them.  I would not call them quality images

thanks in advance

teague_l

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 01:46:21 pm »

Nice work, I especially like the Garden City rocks in b/w. However, the Tupelo Sentry and Congaree Woods photos look a bit too centered and bilaterally symmetrical for my taste -- photos down in the Congaree floodplain forest and bluff areas can be hard to frame well, there is so much going on. Also, the setting  can present difficult lighting issues. On your Congaree Woods you're losing your shadows, but you did a good job of not blowing out the bits of sky that are showing. (On my first photos down there, when I was just beginning to be interested in photography, I blew every highlight in sight by exposing for the deep shade of the woods). Best wishes for many happy shoots in the SC woods!
Pages: [1]   Go Up