Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: catalogs: mutliple to single with prev only?  (Read 1954 times)

stewarthemley

catalogs: mutliple to single with prev only?
« on: November 24, 2007, 05:31:49 am »

I’ve done a search on this in LL and also scoured LR help but couldn’t find an answer. Sorry if I’ve missed it.

Basically, I have just started using LR as my DAM and have so far put about 10,000 images in with many, many more to add. I set up multiple catalogs but see that this is not the best way for me so I want to change to just one cat and then use the folder system to put images where I want them. Eg, in my only cat there would be folders a, b,c, etc (using letters here instead of names, for brevity) and within each folder there would be a1, a2, a3, etc. I imagine that’s how most people work.

Because it suits how I store my files, I removed the actual image files and simply kept the previews. They show in red as the original file is missing, but that’s fine. Now I want to move them into the one master cat and into my new folder system, but can’t make it happen. I started a new cat with a new folder, eg “a” and tried to import an existing cat into folder “a” but it simply goes in as another folder alongside “a”. And because the original image is missing I can’t do the move or rename bit. So I would end up with an unworkable number of folders.

I fear I have to start again, copying all 10,000 images into a new master cat making the folders as I need them. Is this right?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 06:07:08 pm »

If I understand your question correctly... when you move or delete a file that was previously in the Lightroom database, Lightroom will still show you the preview image as a placeholder only.  If you try to actually DO anything with this file, Lightroom comes up and ask, 'Okay, now where did you put this file anyway?'  So if all you have are placeholders in your database, and they're links to missing files, then Lightroom can't do anything with them until you point it to the missing files.  

Imagine taking a picture of your car keys and placing the image on the shelf by the door.  It may remind you that you need your keys to start the car, but it won't fit into the key slot...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

stewarthemley

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 03:47:52 am »

Mike, thanks for the reply. Yes you understood the question fine and I can't see any way to "find my keys" now that I've moved them. I guess I'm hoping for a fairy godmechanic to show me how to start the car... Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up