Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New PC question  (Read 1947 times)

DarkPenguin

New PC question
« on: November 23, 2007, 06:59:50 pm »

How many cores can lightroom effectively use?

Specing out the new machine and I see that the 2.4ghz core 2 quad is about the same price as the 3ghz core 2 duo.  The core 2 duo would be nice if I buy call of duty 4.  But if lightroom would be happier with more cores I'll go with the core 2 quad.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
New PC question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 01:45:18 am »

Great Question!  I just did a quick check on my home desktop (Dual CPU - Dual Core Xeon - Vista) and most LR tasks seemed fairly evenly spread among each core.  There are some exceptions - Slide Show and Web Creation seemed to be dumped primarilly to a single core, with exception of disk IO (?)  (this machine is dual controller SCSI Raid, so i'm not really sure what o/head should be in this type of app).  I'll load some trace tools (from sysinternals) and report more results . . . .

-John
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 01:49:37 am by Joh.Murray »

DarkPenguin

New PC question
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 12:32:45 pm »

Very cool.  I'm leaning towards going with sheer speed of core rather than more of them.

I'm jumping from an AMD 3800+.  I'm pretty sure the 50% clock increase combined with the faster core 2 architecture should about double the processing power.  So I should be happy with this no matter what.
Pages: [1]   Go Up