Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Website Critique comments addressed  (Read 3517 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Website Critique comments addressed
« on: November 23, 2007, 05:46:13 pm »

I took my comments and went back to the drawing board....actually just evolved the site another step.  

What I did:
* Made text more traditional spacing, sans serif
* Increased image size, worked on sharpening
* changed background to black--hard to beat basic black
* Used columns in image description pages.
* Annotated image title in graphical font for interest

http://marcshaffer.net/

Comments appreciated.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

airchinapilot

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 05:57:47 pm »

The header graphic and logo seem a bit too scrunched. Your logo-font needs room to breathe. Plus you can then show off more of that impressive background.

I think the menu should be permanently aligned and not be centered because when you go from home and about to porfolio the menu jumps around. Actually I should say that whenever the width of the photo changes it also causes the menu to jump. This is because of the center alignment. You could still have the menu centered compositionally but fix it statically by giving it an absolute position set in pixels.

I would like to see the line separating the menu from the header and center elements to be a dark or light grey. The line calls attention to itself. The menu already has a different color that separates the menu from the other elements.

The same with the border of the images. The background is already black, therefore you don't need as distinct a border line for the images.

I'm not a fan of the font for the photo captions. It may work for your logo font in the header but I don't see a compelling reason to make captions a display font.

Need more spacing between the body text and the sub heads. Again to give the elements space to breathe. More negative space.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 05:59:19 pm by airchinapilot »

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 06:50:28 pm »

I think the menu should be permanently aligned and not be centered because when you go from home and about to porfolio the menu jumps around. Actually I should say that whenever the width of the photo changes it also causes the menu to jump. This is because of the center alignment. You could still have the menu centered compositionally but fix it statically by giving it an absolute position set in pixels.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155320\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't see this happening in my browser.  What browser do you use?

airchinapilot

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 04:26:46 am »

I don't see this happening in my browser.  What browser do you use?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155337\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Firefox.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 05:53:30 am »

Firefox.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155422\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Doesn't happen in FF 2.0.0.7 on my computer - the menu stays centered just fine with About page, portfolio, and landcape and portrait images.

I agree that there might be some room for negative vertical space at the top of the page, especially around the menu. Otherwise this is much better than the earlier incarnation. Simple is beautiful! And so are the photographs; I especially like Canal Cedar Island as that reminds me of Finland.

A design comment: right now the incentive to click on your images is for people to know the price or get some text on those images. If you included larger images on the individual photo page, they would have more incentive to click. This way you'd get more information on which images are most compelling - which might be useful marketing info for you!

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 08:57:35 am »

I agree that there might be some room for negative vertical space at the top of the page, especially around the menu. Otherwise this is much better than the earlier incarnation. Simple is beautiful! And so are the photographs; I especially like Canal Cedar Island as that reminds me of Finland.

A design comment: right now the incentive to click on your images is for people to know the price or get some text on those images. If you included larger images on the individual photo page, they would have more incentive to click. This way you'd get more information on which images are most compelling - which might be useful marketing info for you!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155430\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the compliment. I will need to mess with the spacing in the menu-header to see if I want to make a change.  The idea of a larger version on the detail page is a good one.  I have been considering putting links to zoomify versions on those pages.  I am not sure that I want to go much wider than the 800 pixels that they currently use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up