Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LLJV16: Brooks Jensen  (Read 6326 times)

Sunesha

• http://sunesha.se
LLJV16: Brooks Jensen
« on: November 23, 2007, 05:33:16 pm »

I just wanted share that it really made me happy to see this interview. Even that I know equipment isnt the magic bullet. It is kinda hard for me not be drawn by the gravitation force of all new cameras that currently realeasing.   For Example:The Nikon D3 for fullframe for my lenscollection.

But being quite financelly challenged the last 3 year due to illness living on my sick pay.I scout around the internet for old golden gems lenses that people sell cheap because they arnt that modern or just have manual focus. Sporting a Nikon D80 I sure sometimes miss Mirror lockup and other things.

Brooks Jensen really showed me how well and how great his photos are. I was very impressed how did his printing. His "loose" prints portfolio was just great. A good way to give away prints that I usually do to friends and family. But the cool thing I thought was that present a couple photos as theme and unit. His idea with a text was just great.

But what made feel good that is so hard for me to not become blind after drooling over expensive gear and look down on my current gear. It really inspired me to just relax and work more with my photos and not drool on the next great thing that probaly wont afford

Cheers,
Daniel Sunebring, Malmoe, Sweden
Homepag

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 12:30:59 am »

Some of his prints are available on the lenswork site.  Extremely affordable.  Just put one of his up on my wall today, actually.

Be sure to check out the lens work podcasts available at the lenswork web page.  I find them very interesting.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 10:35:42 am »

But what made feel good that is so hard for me to not become blind after drooling over expensive gear and look down on my current gear. It really inspired me to just relax and work more with my photos and not drool on the next great thing that probaly wont afford
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155309\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Looking back I can say with some assurance that every time that I have made significant "upgrades" to my equipment, the quality of my seeing has gone way down until I have gotten completely used to the new stuff. In general, the simpler the grar I have with me, the better the results are likely to be.

I agree: Brooks Jensen is very inspiring.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Sunesha

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 04:30:50 pm »

Looking back I can say with some assurance that every time that I have made significant "upgrades" to my equipment, the quality of my seeing has gone way down until I have gotten completely used to the new stuff. In general, the simpler the grar I have with me, the better the results are likely to be.

I agree: Brooks Jensen is very inspiring.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155472\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Heh guess I am not the only one. Everytime I get a new lens I tend overuse it. Before I get to know the lens I just shot many many shots that are far from good.

When I got a 180mm AF I tried to use for all the things. Which turned out to be good learning experience. But was missing many shoots ;-)

Some of his prints are available on the lenswork site. Extremely affordable. Just put one of his up on my wall today, actually.

Be sure to check out the lens work podcasts available at the lenswork web page. I find them very interesting.
Sweet thanks for the tips. Will dig a bit more here.

Need some roadmodels and inspirations.

Cheers,
Homepag

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 06:09:51 pm »

The two lenswork podcasts are good too.

One is his assorted thoughts on various photographic matters. In it he comes across as a little arrogant. But, I end up agreeing with him most of the time anyways. Often entertaining too -- "Instant art is like instant coffee -- a punishment to those who won't let the fuller flavours develop".

The other is an in depth discussion about a print featured in Lenswork. This is, refreshingly, done in an Art Historical manner and not as a photo-critique.

billg71

• http://www.billgrahamphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 09:35:18 pm »

After seeing the interviews with Brooks on the VJ, I became an instant fan. I have a couple of his prints, a subscription to Lenswork, and his podcast on my iPod.

Maybe because we're of an age, I don't find his podcasts arrogant at all. Opinionated, for sure, but his opinions seem to be based on his experiences, not what he read on the Internet this morning.  And you can't say the guy doesn't have the experience and accomplishments to back it up, he's managed to make a living doing what most of us only dream about for 30 years or so.

I guess I could be called the same(either arrogant or opinionated, or both, depending on your perspective   ), but I've put a lot of time and effort into developing those opinions and they work for me. YMMV. But I have a lot of respect for someone who's willing to just say it like he sees it instead of catering to the "I'm offended! You better apologize or I'll call my lawyer!" crowd. In the short time I've been a regular visitor to photo forums, I've seen enough glad-handing and back-slapping over crappy snapshots I'd have thrown away without a second glance to last me a lifetime! Crap is crap, no matter if it's beautifully printed and bound or posted at 640x480 on a message board, period. It doesn't seem to matter if its blurred, over/underexposed, composed well or poorly, etc., if you look long enough you can find a forum to post it on where you'll get the accolades you feel you deserve...... And maybe that's EXACTLY what you'll get... what you deserve.

So, while I don't agree with Brooks' views on everything, I find his opinions refreshing and entertaining and I like his magazine and his work. Maybe it's just because I encountered him at a time when I felt I had gained some semblance of technical expertise in the craft and was looking for inspiration for the right brain, I can't say for sure. But watching the interviews and listening to his 'casts have given me a fresh look at what I'm doing and where I'm going with my art.

Just my humble $.02/worth,

Bill
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'][span style='color:blue']"The doctor told how he was once fishing in the Wind River area of Wyoming and he looked up and far above on the side of the canyon two dogs sat on a rock peeking at him from the brush that surrounded the rock. Only they weren't dogs, they were coyotes. They were curious about what he might be doing standing in a river waving a stick." [span style='color:black']Jim Harrison, Farmer[/span][/span][/span]

Sunesha

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 02:03:16 pm »

I agree. I kinda find it re-freshing with his own made up opinions.

I find that new "political-correct" term need to be founded. Internet-correct. There is unwritten code how shall do things on internet.

I found for example Michaels Nikon D3 and Canon 1dsMIII funny as it wasnt not all internet-correct. That put a big smile on my face, as I imagined in my head  that the internet lemmings just started their death march.

After digging deeper into Brooks Jensen, I found not always to agree with him. But learnt a great deal as he expressed things from his experience. I always found empirical knowledge is the best when I am learning things about creativity-based knowledge. He is re-freshing indeed.

Hmmm, I will start to use my new found word "internet-correct" alot more  
Homepag
Pages: [1]   Go Up