Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 "Lint"  (Read 2412 times)

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
z3100 "Lint"
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:42:27 pm »

Maybe it's just the media.  I think it might be.  Using Breathing Color Aura Decor Textured 220 GSM and it's just covered in crap, even when I wipe it down pre-printing.  I get little flecks falling off the print with a simple wipedown, basically ruining 6 out of 9 jobs I've run so far.  I'm not sure if it's the cutting wheel in the printer that's creating this crap and it's flying up on the paper, or if it comes with the paper.

I got no lint at all on the BC Elegance Platinum in test, but it is a cotton product as opposed to alpha cellulose.  I wonder if the cellulose papers have a rep for this, or if it is a bad batch or .... because, I can't use this stuff, although the price seems good and the texture is very pleasant.  

It's really cheesing me off.  Any thoughts about this kind of thing?

(uh, stream of thought, after a beer, and a trash can half full of torn-up prints)

rdonson

z3100 "Lint"
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 11:07:50 pm »

Sean, describe your pre-printing wipe down, please.  I have some papers that I really like but I brush them down with a paint brush before printing to avoid issues similar to what you're describing.
Regards,
Ron

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100 "Lint"
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 11:37:51 pm »

Sean, describe your pre-printing wipe down, please.  I have some papers that I really like but I brush them down with a paint brush before printing to avoid issues similar to what you're describing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Just out of curiosity, Ron, which papers do you run that require that brushdown routine?  I sometimes use an anti-static synthetic featherduster on Photo Rag or the HP version of it, but admit to being lazy as often as not.  I've only lost one print to a dust spec, so I haven't learned the hard way (often enough) yet to do it for small and medium size prints.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

SeanPuckett

z3100 "Lint"
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:59:19 am »

Ron, I wear cotton gloves and rub down the roll of paper just before feeding it into the slot in the back of the machine.  I can only wipe so much because of the roll diameter, of course.

The flecks are pretty consistent a couple mm long and very slender.  I'm not sure how this paper is made, but if the fibers aren't very tenacious this is what I'd expect to see after a cutting operation -- either pre-printing from the slitter at the factory, or from the cut-off wheel in the z.  I don't see this stuff on other media.

rdonson

z3100 "Lint"
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 07:45:21 am »

Just out of curiosity, Ron, which papers do you run that require that brushdown routine?  I sometimes use an anti-static synthetic featherduster on Photo Rag or the HP version of it, but admit to being lazy as often as not.  I've only lost one print to a dust spec, so I haven't learned the hard way (often enough) yet to do it for small and medium size prints.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154594\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You've nailed it, Ron.  I brush down Hahnemuhle's Photo Rag series and I think a couple of others like Moab Entrada.  I've never had as serious a problem as Sean describes but I figured an ounce of prevention was worth a pound of cure.  The specs I've seen were indeed specs nothing as large and as prevalent as Sean.  

Sean, if Breathing Color is as good as they claim I'd call them and see if they'd send a replacement roll or confirm that's a problem with their product.
Regards,
Ron

SeanPuckett

z3100 "Lint"
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 07:59:26 am »

Here's what it looks like.  The ruler divisions are mm.  This print was 16x8 inches and has 5 such defects, along with probably a dozen smaller ones.

[attachment=3941:attachment]

And, yes, I'll be in touch with BC.  I like most of their products, but their Canadian shipping is standard UPS and with duties/brokerage is an extra 50-60% of the invoice, making it very hard to cost justify.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 08:03:16 am by SeanPuckett »

rdonson

z3100 "Lint"
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 10:17:39 am »

Here's what it looks like.  The ruler divisions are mm.  This print was 16x8 inches and has 5 such defects, along with probably a dozen smaller ones.

[attachment=3941:attachment]

And, yes, I'll be in touch with BC.  I like most of their products, but their Canadian shipping is standard UPS and with duties/brokerage is an extra 50-60% of the invoice, making it very hard to cost justify.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154660\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's not unlike what I've seen with some rag papers.  That's why I bought a good paint brush from a local hardware store and its single use is to brush down the paper before printing.  Its kind of a pain with rolls but works.  Its worth the effort if you like the results.

I've heard others who say they brush then blow air across the papers before printing as well.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up