Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waiting for a new Canon Ipf9000  (Read 3785 times)

fsepulveda

Waiting for a new Canon Ipf9000
« on: November 20, 2007, 03:02:27 pm »

Hi all, this is my first post.  I own a printing shop in the Dominican Republic.  I have two Epsons 9600 and just got one of the few and last Canon Ipf9000 available (I think for a very good price).  I don't have formal support for that printer so I'm going to install it myself.  I would appreciate a lot if anyone can give me recomendations of what to do or not to do with this printer, also any help that you might find valuable is welcome.  Thanks in advance!!!

Felix

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 03:18:25 pm »

A likely place to get input/advice is the iPF Printer Wiki:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com

--John

fsepulveda

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 09:26:29 am »

Thanks John, I followed your advice and just join the Wiki.

Most of the things that are found are for the Ipf5000, looks like IPF9000 owners are not that many or are very happy with the printer.

Regards,

Felix

John Hollenberg

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 10:05:21 am »

Most of the things that are found are for the Ipf5000, looks like IPF9000 owners are not that many or are very happy with the printer.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154675\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True, but we have some iPF8000 owners as members and I believe at least one independent consultant, Scott Martin, has purchased an iPF9000.  So, still a good place to ask questions.

--John

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 05:55:33 pm »

Don't forget about me John, I have a iPF9000.

I can't help you much if your printing from Windows. Just didn't care to mess with it in Windows.

Doyle

John Hollenberg

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:33:46 pm »

Don't forget about me John, I have a iPF9000.

I can't help you much if your printing from Windows. Just didn't care to mess with it in Windows.

Yes, couldn't remember if you had the 8000 or 9000.  In my mind both are in the category of "really big"  

--John

fsepulveda

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 09:12:50 pm »

Thanks all !!!

Hey Doyle, I will print a lot in canvas, which canvas do you recommend ?

BTW, I will be printinf from windows: Photoshop CS2 / and I can make my own profiles (RGB) using the Pulse Color Elite from X-Rite..... Are you using a Rip or Mac Based ?

Right now I'm very confortable with the Epsons (less the ink consuption and some cloggins).  But still I know this beast is different than my Epsons.

If I'm printing 58" by 80", which is the minimum file resolution (ppi) I should use ?

Regards,

Felix

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 09:51:15 pm »

BTW, I will be printinf from windows: Photoshop CS2 / and I can make my own profiles (RGB) using the Pulse Color Elite from X-Rite..... Are you using a Rip or Mac Based?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154821\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
FYI, the Perceptual Rendering from Monaco Profiler will yield significantly more saturation than Pulse Color Elite Profiles. You could potentially send ColorPort target measurement data to someone with MP for profile generation. Not too many people use these printers with a RIP - the driver and plug-in deliver fantastic quality.
If I'm printing 58" by 80", which is the minimum file resolution (ppi) I should use ?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154821\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Whatever the true optical resolution of your originals is. As to what resolution do you need for decent quality? That's totally subjective and can be influenced by the image content and media surface. Textured surfaces are more forgiving for example...  Have fun - grand format printing is a totally new ball game with lots of great challenges! (and I mean that in the most optimistic, positive way)
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 09:52:21 pm »

BTW, I will be printinf from windows: Photoshop CS2 / and I can make my own profiles (RGB) using the Pulse Color Elite from X-Rite..... Are you using a Rip or Mac Based?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154821\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
FYI, the Perceptual Rendering from Monaco Profiler will yield significantly more saturation than Pulse Color Elite Profiles. You could potentially send ColorPort target measurement data to someone with MP for profile generation. Not too many people use these printers with a RIP - the driver and plug-in deliver fantastic quality.
If I'm printing 58" by 80", which is the minimum file resolution (ppi) I should use ?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154821\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Whatever the true optical resolution of your originals is. As to what resolution do you need for decent quality? That's totally subjective and can be influenced by the image content and media surface. Textured surfaces are more forgiving for example...  Have fun - grand format printing is a totally new ball game with lots of great challenges! (and I mean that in the most optimistic, positive way)
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

fsepulveda

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 07:28:18 am »

Thanks all again, well I think my printer arrives on Saturday.  I will post my initial impressions.

Regards

Felix

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 11:51:36 am »

I have used Canon Graphic Canvas. A bit thiner than the other but for small prints I like it.

I get great results from Breathing Color Canvas and have used Lexjet's Sunset Matte canvas with almost as good results. The Breathing Color has a slightly larger gamut.

Doyle

jpgentry

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 09:28:23 pm »

ipf8000 here and I print alot of canvas.  I recommend Breathing Color if you want highest quality and Frederix 901WR if you're looking for a quality/price comprimise.  Spray coat it with GlamourII and an HVLP spray gun.

I love my ipf8000.  Get the 9100 if you do alot of glossy/satin but the 8000/9000 is great if you work with matte/canvas.

-Jonathan

My opinions
Pages: [1]   Go Up