Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hassy SWCM with Phase P30/P45  (Read 4294 times)

Gary Yeowell

Hassy SWCM with Phase P30/P45
« on: November 19, 2007, 04:46:12 pm »

Anyone using either Phase P30 or P45 and SWCM with success? Any issues with sharpness/fringing/vignetting etc as i know the rear element is very close to the chip and obviously designed for film, unlike Digitar's.

Thanks, Gary.

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:32:14 am »

Anyone using either Phase P30 or P45 and SWCM with success? Any issues with sharpness/fringing/vignetting etc as i know the rear element is very close to the chip and obviously designed for film, unlike Digitar's.

Thanks, Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154208\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gary:

I have many customers using this combination with P25 and also P45 backs. You will need to make a Lens Cast Correction for the 38mm lens. It is good but not as good as CamboWide DS using Schneider 35mm lens. And not quite as good as using Hasselblad H2 with HC 35mm. I see many images enlarged to 2x3 ft and their is more chromatic aberation produced with Hassy SWCM.

If you already have a MF back I would suggest you rent a CamboWide and compare results. The CamboWide also gives you the ability to stich images to make your lens wider. Not to mention basic rise and fall.

We have done some testing with clients that tried P30 and P21. Both were acceptable until you get into 18mm rise or fall, then these chips seem to produce a pattern that is very noticable in blue skys and trees. Turn on reduce pattern noise in C1 Pro and most of this disappears. If you plan on doing a lot of wide angle work stick with the bigger chips and you will never see these artifacts.

If you are in the US I could maybe arrange for a rental of the Cambo.

Chris Snipes
Image Production, Inc
www.imageproduction.com
Phase One Test Studio
Phase One Florida
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 07:46:46 am »

Thanks Chris,

Very informative, and in some respects what i thought. I did have a P20 and used the 40CFEIF which was exceptionally sharp but did have a fair amount of fringing and for some reason suffered from moiree more than other lenses, but that may have been because i used it more. I did try a Horseman SWD2 with a 35 but it was out of alignement and nothing was close to being sharp with my P20. Now my P20 and Hassy stuff is all gone except my SWCM, and i was thinking that it would be a great landscape/cityscape tool with a P30/P45, considering its size, however i think that i may have to try the Cambo or another Horseman SWD2.

Thanks for the rental offer but i am located in London.

Regards, Gary.  
Gary:

I have many customers using this combination with P25 and also P45 backs. You will need to make a Lens Cast Correction for the 38mm lens. It is good but not as good as CamboWide DS using Schneider 35mm lens. And not quite as good as using Hasselblad H2 with HC 35mm. I see many images enlarged to 2x3 ft and their is more chromatic aberation produced with Hassy SWCM.

If you already have a MF back I would suggest you rent a CamboWide and compare results. The CamboWide also gives you the ability to stich images to make your lens wider. Not to mention basic rise and fall.

We have done some testing with clients that tried P30 and P21. Both were acceptable until you get into 18mm rise or fall, then these chips seem to produce a pattern that is very noticable in blue skys and trees. Turn on reduce pattern noise in C1 Pro and most of this disappears. If you plan on doing a lot of wide angle work stick with the bigger chips and you will never see these artifacts.

If you are in the US I could maybe arrange for a rental of the Cambo.
Chris Snipes
Image Production, Inc
www.imageproduction.com
Phase One Test Studio
Phase One Florida
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:50:26 am by Gary Yeowell »

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 10:21:28 am »

Thanks Chris,

Very informative, and in some respects what i thought. I did have a P20 and used the 40CFEIF which was exceptionally sharp but did have a fair amount of fringing and for some reason suffered from moiree more than other lenses, but that may have been because i used it more. I did try a Horseman SWD2 with a 35 but it was out of alignement and nothing was close to being sharp with my P20. Now my P20 and Hassy stuff is all gone except my SWCM, and i was thinking that it would be a great landscape/cityscape tool with a P30/P45, considering its size, however i think that i may have to try the Cambo or another Horseman SWD2.

Regards, Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154359\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gary,

I would also recommend looking at some of Alpa's plate style cameras.  We currently have a Alpa 12SWA and it's a nice compact camera that offers rise/ fall and is incredibly sharp.  I would
recommend testing each camera.  The Cambo, Horseman and Alpa all have slightly different features that may be good or bad to a photographer.  

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 12:52:23 pm »

I would also recommend looking at some of Alpa's plate style cameras.  We currently have a Alpa 12SWA and it's a nice compact camera that offers rise/ fall and is incredibly sharp.
Hi Chris. Does Capture Integration sell new Alpa's? I know about Badger Graphics, but I assumed they were the only Alpa dealers in the U.S.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 01:35:41 pm »

Hi Chris. Does Capture Integration sell new Alpa's? I know about Badger Graphics, but I assumed they were the only Alpa dealers in the U.S.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154426\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We are a Alpa dealer. If you would like more information, please let me know.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 01:46:18 pm »

Thanks Chris,

Regards, Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154359\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gary:

The P20 would produce more morie than the P30/P45 because of the pixels size. Add the lens that is not corrected for chromatic aberation and you have several artifacts going on at the same time. And then back up and shoot wide angle and these tend to happen much more than with a head shot or hard lines items such as products.

The Alpa is also a great camera, just too expensive for most. You look at being able to get a Cambowide w/35mm lens for $3,500 and your in business. I have 2 of them a V and an H. I think you will find that the Cambowide is gear driven. If you have ever used a gear driven view camera compared to one that is not, you will be able to answer that question.

Please send me an email off line and I will be glad to let you know what Phase One backs and Cambowides I currently have.

Chris Snipes
President
Image Production
www.imageproduction.com
chris@imageproduction.com
8133352473 Cell
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 06:33:01 pm »

We are a Alpa dealer. If you would like more information, please let me know.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154440\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Chris. I've PM'd you.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:33:17 pm by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My
Pages: [1]   Go Up