Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another backpack question  (Read 4408 times)

marcmccalmont

Another backpack question
« on: November 19, 2007, 01:03:32 pm »

I did a search for comments on backpacks but they don't specifically address fitting a 645 AFD /P30 and lenses. So if any of you are happy with a slightly padded backpack that would fit a medium format kit and still make it into an overhead compartment please let me know.

1. slightly padded not to bulky, enough protection for the trunk of your car but still able to fit in an aircraft overhead
2. fit a 645 AFD/P30, 35mm, 55-110, 120mm, 105/210, batteries, filters etc.
3. well made

Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 01:15:41 pm »

I have a LowePro Nature Trekker AW - had it for years, fits a ton - plus a small laptop in
front compartment - now holding my MF system. should fit all the lenses, not sure
about the zoom, not familiar w/ how big that is. Next size up would totally work if this did not.  fits in overhead, no problem. has straps you can tuck away and carry briefcase style , shoulder strap, etc. has a built in rain jacket too. I feel that Lowe builds the best soft cases for travel, personally. I have a slingshot as well.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 02:04:56 pm »

Marc,

Tenba makes a few backpacks that might work for you.  The Shootout line offers several different sizes and configurations.  I might suggest the Medium or Large Tenba Shootout backpack.  The large comes in a rolling option if you like.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com

godtfred

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 02:14:51 pm »

I did a search for comments on backpacks but they don't specifically address fitting a 645 AFD /P30 and lenses. So if any of you are happy with a slightly padded backpack that would fit a medium format kit and still make it into an overhead compartment please let me know.

1. slightly padded not to bulky, enough protection for the trunk of your car but still able to fit in an aircraft overhead
3. well made

Thanks
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Check out the National Geographic backpacks from KATA, if you are into that style. Also i hear great things about the Burton photo backpacks from some snowboarding friends who shoot a lot with Canon 1's and long teles, should fit a Mamiya kit?

I'm having trouble finding a decent backpack for my H2 kit (like the mamiya), as they all seem to have these set dividers in the middle, fitting a short DSLR body, and not the longer mirror boxes and digital backs of MF gear. I found a lowepro backpack that takes my Linhof M679cs, 47mm, 90mm, 120mm, sliding adapter, wide angle bellows, viewing accesories, harddrive, digital back, etc. It rolls for easy transport in airports, and is an extremely tight fit on a normal boeing overhead compartment... Don't remember the exact model, but I can find it out if you want?

Others to check out are Tenba, Thinktank, etc. (Hear good stuff about both of them...) Never been a huge fan of the look that lowepro has, but the one i got seems very well made with huge zippers and seams.

-axel
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 02:38:43 pm by godtfred »
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

NBP

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 05:20:19 am »

I have a Lowepro computrekker AW Plus which I'm very satisfied with. Carries a 2 lens RZ67, Aptus 65 & 17" Macbook Pro, plus all the bits & bobs (prism/meters/batteries/hoods etc).
Exact airline carry on dimensions.
Think they do a slightly smaller one too.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 05:20:54 am by NBP »

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 09:39:07 am »

The Computrekker AW Plus will easily handle your Mamiya 645AFD and MFDB.

I like mine and use it with my Canon 5D----can carry the 300mm 2.8, 70-200, a couple of other lenses and accessories.

I also use it with the 645AFD and P30----it is no problem to pack all the lenses you have listed, including the Mamiya 300 (which is similar in size to the Canon 70-200), and accesories.  The pack will fit in the overhead plane compartment, but for small hopper (commuter) planes, make sure to get a good seat to cram the bag underneath (no overhead bins!).

But the pack is heavy!  I want a backpack that doesn't weigh so much!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 10:54:52 pm by kdphotography »

Adhawk

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 10:34:32 am »

I'm very happy with the ThinkTank "Airport Acceleration" model.  Extreamly well made.  I've traveled all over the world with it's big brother.  This fits in most overhead compartments and works well in the field.  I carry a H3D with a 28, 50, 80,120, 250 and extra batteries.

j.miller

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 05:44:20 pm »

Marc,
     LowePro has a nice series of backpacks called the Vertex series. There are few sizes available depending preference. The Vertex 200AW or Vertex 300AW would be appropriate for a medium format kit. Here is link to some info.

LowePro Vertex Bags

Regards,

Jordan Miller

3. well made

Thanks
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:11:02 am by j.miller »
Pages: [1]   Go Up