Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: resizing  (Read 3162 times)

sbokos

resizing
« on: November 18, 2007, 01:40:40 pm »

i have an image that is 1600x1067 pixels, resolution 300 and total size of 9.77M.
i need to keep the same dimensions, but need a total size of 2M or smaller.  I don't care about the resolution size.
Can someone help me????
thanks...
susan

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
resizing
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 02:13:23 pm »

i have an image that is 1600x1067 pixels, resolution 300 and total size of 9.77M.
i need to keep the same dimensions, but need a total size of 2M or smaller.  I don't care about the resolution size.
Can someone help me????
thanks...
susan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153879\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It appears the document may be in 16bit mode, so reducing that to 8 bit mode will make it about 4.8mb.

However, the only way to reduce it further is to change the pixel dimensions, the resolution isn't a factor in file size, only the pixel dimensions.

Your only other option is to save it as a jpeg, which would most likely accomplish your objective quite easily.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:06:56 am by Wayne Fox »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
resizing
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:10:23 pm »

However, the only way to reduce it further is to change the dimensions, the resolution isn't a factor in file size, only the dimensions.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is incorrect. If you resample an image reducing the resolution but maintaining the dimensions the file size goes way down.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

sbokos

resizing
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 04:11:30 pm »

thanks for the info...i suspected that was the case.  i am in 8 bit mode, but will try saving as a jpeg and see what happens!

sbokos

resizing
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 04:18:18 pm »

This is incorrect. If you resample an image reducing the resolution but maintaining the dimensions the file size goes way down.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153930\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sbokos

resizing
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:26:38 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mark,
could you walk me through the steps to do that in photoshop?  I am trying to use "image size", but can't seem to get it.
thanks

sbokos

resizing
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 04:30:30 pm »

sbokos

resizing
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 04:32:20 pm »

mark,
could you walk me through the steps to resize?  I have been using photoshop "image size" but just can't seem to get it right.
thanks

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
resizing
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 04:51:50 pm »

mark,
could you walk me through the steps to resize?  I have been using photoshop "image size" but just can't seem to get it right.
thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, here goes:

When you open the Image Size dialog box, the first choice you want to make is whether or not to resample the image. Resampling means that you change the total pixel count in the image. You need to check the "Resample Image" box at the bottom of the dialogue if you wish to change the total pixel count.

If you select to resample the image, if the pixel dimensions shown at the top of the box will be reduced (the figure at the left of the bracketed figure) chose BiCubic Sharper in the very bottom drop-down menu. If the pixel dimensions will increase, choose BiCubic Smoother. Now, if you change Resolution, which is pixels per inch, you can leave the dimensions the same or you can change them. If you reduce dimensions or resolution total file size goes down. If you increase them file size goes up. If you reduce one and increase the other, you need to see the calculated result to know in a hurry what happened. When you resample there is always some loss of image quality, but doing it once while maintaining a good print resolution is not visibly harmful.

If you select not to reample (leave Resample Image) unchecked, then if you increase the resolution the width and height of the image will be reduced so as to maintain the same number of pixels. If you decrease the resolution the width and height will increase to maintain the same number of pixels. Or put otherwise, without resampling if you increase the width and height the resolution will go down, and if you decrease them the resolution will go up.

So much for the mechanics. Which options to use depends...............another chapter if you want it!

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
resizing
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 11:50:17 pm »

In the OP it stated

"i have an image that is 1600x1067 pixels ...i need to keep the same dimensions"

Had the dimensions stated been in anything other than pixels, then reducing the resolution and resampling may have been an option.  otherwise, as you know, changing resolution without resampling has no effect on the file.  The only way I know of to decrease the size of a file without changing its pixel dimensions is compression.

That is what I based my reply on, however I admit to not using the term pixel when talking of dimensions, which made the response a little unclear, and has been corrected..
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:08:41 am by Wayne Fox »

sbokos

resizing
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 09:29:56 am »

thanks to all who responded...have learned alot...
Pages: [1]   Go Up