Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase P45Plus and portable storage - read files?  (Read 2493 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Phase P45Plus and portable storage - read files?
« on: November 18, 2007, 07:28:35 am »

Wanted to get an update on what devices you have found that work well for portable storage of P45+ files.  Looking at Jobo and Epson, possibly the Porter Elite but open to all suggestions.

Key is it must read P45+ files, and I only shoot in RAW format.

Thanks,
Jack
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 07:29:04 am by Lust4Life »

David WM

• http://
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 07:57:57 am »

I decided that a Macbook was ideal for portable storage, cos it can do so much more. I suppose it depends on how small you need it to be.
Wanted to get an update on what devices you have found that work well for portable storage of P45+ files.  Looking at Jobo and Epson, possibly the Porter Elite but open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
Jack
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153793\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

D_Clear

• DERMOT CLEARY PHOTOGRAPHER
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:44:57 am »

Wanted to get an update on what devices you have found that work well for portable storage of P45+ files.  Looking at Jobo and Epson, possibly the Porter Elite but open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
Jack

I shoot with a P45+ and purchased a new Picture Porter Elite last month for a location fashion shoot, unfortunately the PPE was a substandard product in my experience, in fact it was dead weight, sat in my bag unusable.

Though I knew in advance of the less-then-ideal USB connection and 'just-ok' screen res, I was surprised to learn the PPE was finicky about which of my cards it wanted to read - I use a mix of Sandisk Ultra III and IV's.

Fortunately Vistek were gracious enough to give me a full refund when I returned from the shoot.
DC

Mort54

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 01:50:33 pm »

Since the P45+ can't generate JPGs (or anything other than RAW, actually), that's a good thing :-)

All of the Epson's will store the files just fine. I use a P-2000. The question is will they display the images. I don't know any product that will display the full RAW file, other than a laptop (but I'm not up-to-date on this, so there could be something available now). I seem to recall reading that the newer Epsons will at least display the small JPG embedded withing the RAW file, but if so, it would be too small to do anything other than judge composition.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 08:54:30 am »

Thanks,
Jack

Hi Jack:

The Porter Elite is the only one I have found that works with RAW files from Phase One. I have had several fashion shooters buy this because Jack Varney who post on LL confirmed he had done all the research on this one. Jack also uses the P45. Search Jacks post on LL.

I rccently had an issue that we discovered when integrating the Poter Elite with a smaller MP Phase One back.  The P21 shoots a smaller RAW file and also makes a smaller preview file. When loaded into Poter Elite the preview is smaller and becomes more pixelated when you fit to screen.

I know for sure that the Porter Elite will display the preview from Phase One files and it does work better with larger images like your P45 Plus. I exchanged several emails with their tech support staff and found this out.

Chris Snipes
President
Image Production, Inc
www.imageproduction.com
New and used Phase One backs
Phase One Test Studio Florida
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

Jack Varney

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:12:16 pm »

Chris is correct. I have had good success with the Picture Porter Elite. It displays the P45 and P45+ preview TIFFs. I have used it with SanDisk Ultra II and Extreme III CF cards. No problems of any kind with this unit in two years of use.

That said, do not expect high quality display of the images. It is OK and great when a laptop is inconvient. It also displays the Histogram for evaluation.

I have a 100GB version (special order). I like it.
Jack Varney
Pages: [1]   Go Up