Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The MFDB vs Slide Film Challenge!  (Read 46966 times)

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
The MFDB vs Slide Film Challenge!
« on: November 17, 2007, 08:21:11 am »

Hi

Been shooting the ZD camera parallel with Mamiya 7II. With Fuji Velvia 50 in the 7II, the 6x7's simply look amazing in color, detail and with a simple wow factor of chromes. Files from the ZD are really nice, but... perhaps I need to learn more of processing them... and can use some good advises .

Ok, the slides are in my hands and I will make Epson high quality flat bed scans of them and post here in about one week (I know a place that can get it done for me at that time). Before then, please show me what you can do in processing of my sample photos. I hope you are willing to teach me some new techniques or point me in directions to learn them. Kindly tell how you process and respect my copyright for other means. Any suggestions are welcome .

My procssed images from SilkyPix are attached, but I am also familiar with CS3 which I use at times. Use whatever program you prefer.

RAW file downloads (valid 7 days, first 100 downloads each):
Sunrise @ sea MMFC0513.MEF - http://download.yousendit.com/F9DE28C32C2B4127
Sunrise @ lake MMFC0623.MEF
- http://download.yousendit.com/F2DE4F745D7615E7
Temple MMFC0696.MEF - http://download.yousendit.com/D8CAF7A7181B5492

Much thanks

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 08:24:43 am by Anders_HK »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 08:36:15 am »

Anders,

I don't know much about reworking landscapes; this thread is going to be interesting - thank you for posting these images.

Edmund

Hi

Been shooting the ZD camera parallel with Mamiya 7II. With Fuji Velvia 50 in the 7II, the 6x7's simply look amazing in color, detail and with a simple wow factor of chromes. Files from the ZD are really nice, but... perhaps I need to learn more of processing them... and can use some good advises .

Ok, the slides are in my hands and I will make Epson high quality flat bed scans of them and post here in about one week (I know a place that can get it done for me at that time). Before then, please show me what you can do in processing of my sample photos. I hope you are willing to teach me some new techniques or point me in directions to learn them. Kindly tell how you process and respect my copyright for other means. Any suggestions are welcome .

My procssed images from SilkyPix are attached, but I am also familiar with CS3 which I use at times. Use whatever program you prefer.

RAW file downloads (valid 7 days, first 100 downloads each):
Sunrise @ sea MMFC0513.MEF - http://download.yousendit.com/F9DE28C32C2B4127
Sunrise @ lake MMFC0623.MEF
- http://download.yousendit.com/F2DE4F745D7615E7
Temple MMFC0696.MEF - http://download.yousendit.com/D8CAF7A7181B5492
Much thanks

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153549\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 08:55:12 am »

Anders,

I don't know much about reworking landscapes; this thread is going to be interesting - thank you for posting these images.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edmund,

Welcome . Please dont be shy.  

Rgds
Anders

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 10:19:50 am »

Hi Anders,

Great test...but...and don't get mad with me here as I know we can only do what we can do but...wouldn't a fairer test be between drum scanned film not epson flat bed...I'm not sure if we should compare the best processed zd files to not the best scanned film file?

Marc

www.marcwilson.co.uk
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

espressogeek

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 10:23:15 am »

Thanks for posting these. I have been wanting to get my hands on some raw files from this thing. The jpgs i have seen in comparison to other MFDB look a little soft. I keep thinking it is because different raw converters with unique default settings were used. I can't wait to see the chromes.

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 10:30:50 am »

I'm with Mark, get better scans. At least imacon 848 or better, you're not doing your mamiya or this comparison any justice going with cheap scans.

-N

Hi Anders,

Great test...but...and don't get mad with me here as I know we can only do what we can do but...wouldn't a fairer test be between drum scanned film not epson flat bed...I'm not sure if we should compare the best processed zd files to not the best scanned film file?
Marc

www.marcwilson.co.uk
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153582\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 11:07:14 am »

Hi Anders,

Marc

www.marcwilson.co.uk
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153582\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think doubtful if I can get drum scans but I will check. I have no place to get scans done where I am in Korea period. Will be in Shanghai next weekend where I have had scan done on quality Epson before. The guy said he was getting a new and better Epson scanner, perhaps V700, not sure (by memory think he said along with his new 1.5m?? wide Epson printer, & I know he is very good, print for photo art exhibits etc). Last time I spoke with him he said drum scan took few days and only little higher quality... I may not be able do that... but we shall see. Depends on price also... B.t.w. last time large prints in his gallery was from both drum and his then Epson scanner, also ones from scanner looked very good in comparison , so I am not sure how much difference we would see on web...

Waiting for your posts  

Regards
Anders

jpjespersen

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 11:23:34 am »

Here is my version

[attachment=3882:attachment]

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 11:26:27 am »

I think doubtful if I can get drum scans but I will check. I have no place to get scans done where I am in Korea period. Will be in Shanghai next weekend where I have had scan done on quality Epson before. The guy said he was getting a new and better Epson scanner, perhaps V700, not sure (by memory think he said along with his new 1.5m?? wide Epson printer, & I know he is very good, print for photo art exhibits etc). Last time I spoke with him he said drum scan took few days and only little higher quality... I may not be able do that... but we shall see. Depends on price also... B.t.w. last time large prints in his gallery was from both drum and his then Epson scanner, also ones from scanner looked very good in comparison , so I am not sure how much difference we would see on web...

Waiting for your posts   

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

forget about epson scans. Absolutely useless!
get at least an Imacon scan.

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 11:26:42 am »

... I may not be able do that... but we shall see. Depends on price also... B.t.w. last time large prints in his gallery was from both drum and his then Epson scanner, also ones from scanner looked very good in comparison , so I am not sure how much difference we would see on web...

Waiting for your posts  

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Hi anders,

Sorry if sounded negative before...did not mean to put you off at all.
I just know that medium format side film I have had flat bed scanned and then also imacon and drum scanned have shown a big difference in detail in landscape shots once you print up to 30inches wide etc. (I printed 10x8 sections to test some about two years ago to see if the drum scan was that much better then the imacon, but I know flatbed scanners have improved since then...sorry but I no longer have those tests)

But this is your test, and if the epson is the way you would scan your film then that is the comparison that will be important to you..and still interesting to others also.

Marc
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

espressogeek

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 11:30:17 am »

Here is five minutes with one of the zd files and photoshop. I processed the files two different ways and then blended and sharpened.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 11:37:40 am »

Hi anders,

Sorry if sounded negative before...did not mean to put you off at all.
I just know that medium format side film I have had flat bed scanned and then also imacon and drum scanned have shown a big difference in detail in landscape shots once you print up to 30inches wide etc. (I printed 10x8 sections to test some about two years ago to see if the drum scan was that much better then the imacon, but I know flatbed scanners have improved since then...sorry but I no longer have those tests)

But this is your test, and if the epson is the way you would scan your film then that is the comparison that will be important to you..and still interesting to others also.

Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153603\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marc,

No worries at all. It is very late here so my sleepy eyes did perhaps not make me write well in reply. Definently much like the clouds in your post   . How did you process those?

All,

The guy that will scan it it is very young and has had his business for about two years. Before that he worked at Shanghai Epsite which is owned by Epson, so he has been trained by Epson. He is very talented and good at his work. His gallery impress me much each time I have visited. He can also send out for drum scan, but I am not sure how new drum scanners they may have or how good they are at doing drum scans. I will check and depending on price .

Much thanks for all posts, and please post details on how you process .

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 11:42:18 am by Anders_HK »

espressogeek

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 12:01:14 pm »

I'm just curious which lenses did you use on these? The level of detail from the ZD on the temple shot is quite amazing.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 12:16:36 pm »

5 mins in PS

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:33:34 pm by foto-z »

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 12:19:03 pm »

I'm just curious which lenses did you use on these? The level of detail from the ZD on the temple shot is quite amazing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153618\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marc,

Much kind thanks for your postings. That was the 55-110 AF, for the other two the 35mm AF. I think I used MUP on all, but I may have missed also .

Regards
Anders

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 12:20:59 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, will try  , no promises....

espressogeek

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 12:34:57 pm »

Marc,

Much kind thanks for your postings. That was the 55-110 AF, for the other two the 35mm AF. I think I used MUP on all, but I may have missed also .

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153622\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

WOW, after all that talk of the 55-110 being a dog I could sure use that dog in my pack. I'm sure that it is normal for most of you MFDB peeps but for a DSLR shooter that looks pretty darn good.

Pantoned

• http://www.arnauanglada.com/
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 01:17:27 pm »

A couple of interpretations from the first one, a traditional and a polaroid-like one.

Arnau
---------------------------------------

TJ Asher

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 04:46:34 pm »

Anders,

Here is my interpretation of your landscape scene with the processing steps I took. As with anything like this, each individual has their own vision/idea of how the scene should look.

[attachment=3885:attachment]

I opened the file in Camera RAW two times.

I used two different settings and opened one image for the shadows pretty much as is and opened one image to open up the shadows a bit.

The Camera RAW settings are shown here:

[attachment=3886:attachment]

[attachment=3887:attachment]

I took the lighter image and copied it onto the darker image.

I set the lighter layer at 50% opacity in the layer pallette.

I duplicated the lighter layer.

I added layer masks as shown in the final attachment. The upper layer was masked a bit darker than the lower. This was done to keep the sun in the valley the same as the original darker image yet raise the shadow area up and fill in some detail.

I finally added a hue/saturation adjustment layer with the saturation at 20%.

[attachment=3888:attachment]

Whoops! I just noticed the layer masks were not visible in the screen capture so I made a new one and added it here:
[attachment=3899:attachment]

I can provide the full Photoshop file for you if you wish to see the full image.

Best regards,
Todd Asher
www.tjasher.com
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 10:23:00 pm by TJ Asher »

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 07:54:07 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It will be interesting to compare the digital with an epson scan because that is what's practical for most on a regular basis.
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up