Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballhead quality and image sharpness  (Read 2732 times)

alba63

Ballhead quality and image sharpness
« on: November 17, 2007, 08:20:52 am »

Hi, I currently mostly use a Canon 5d with wide to short tele (85mm) lenses on a Benro fiber base tripod. My current ballhead is a simple Manfrotto ball head (small, relatively light model).

I have considered the Markins Q3 ("Emille") but before making the investment I would like to know if I can expect better stability and therefore sharpness on my pictures than with the simple one:

I often shoot between 1/30th and 1/2th second, sometimes longer. As the ground on which the tripod stands is often irregular and not firm, there is often instability of the tripod, so I wonder whether stability is not more limited by the ground than by the tripod.

My other camera is a Pentax 67 with wide lenses, which together are of course considerably heavier than the Canon by factor 2x.

What are your thoughts about the benefits of a stronger ballhead?

Thank you

Bernie

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 09:07:19 am »

Hi, I currently mostly use a Canon 5d with wide to short tele (85mm) lenses on a Benro fiber base tripod. My current ballhead is a simple Manfrotto ball head (small, relatively light model).
What problems are you having? If your 'pod is shifting in loose dirt a new head won't help that.
~ CB

alba63

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 09:18:39 am »

What problems are you having? If your 'pod is shifting in loose dirt a new head won't help that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153565\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Generally I am not having real problems except that the handling of the 484 is not very comfortable, specially in vertical position (camera is hanging to the side then) it is less than optimally stable. The tripod is not shifting in loose dirt, but for example on forest ground it is hard to get a solid stand, when pressing on the tripod legs are slightly sinking in etc. That's why I shoot with MLU and self timer.

So would you say that in these conditions a tougher ball head has no effect?

Bernie

panoak

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 11:31:55 pm »

You can spend as much as you care to for a ball head, and I would opt for some of the more elegantly geared Manfrotto models before plunking down the cash for those Arcos things.  IN ground where you are likely to sink, it can be worth the time to find some good flat stones to set your tripod legs on.  Hang your gear bag around your tripod posts, and wait a short time to see if everything looks stable.
     One guy suggested buying one of those pencil laser pointers,  (about $20, from Harbor Freight)  and attaching it to your lens with rubber bands.  Shoot at something about 20 feet away, and review the image, to see if the laser point moved.
     This is a good test to use in any camera store that will allow you to shoot tests with their equipment.  There is no wind in camera stores, but that would tell if the support is quivering under the load.  It's a good field test to tell you if you need to try harder.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 08:20:24 am »

Also look at using an L-bracket for vertical shooting. You would most likely need a head that uses the arca-swiss/RRS/Kirk quick-release plate system. For me, the ease of use going from horizontal to vertical and back is worth the cost of the system.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 06:46:43 pm »

Hi,

I used Manfrotto and don't really feel that their Quick Release system is really satisfactory. I'd suggest that the QR may be one of the major causes of instability. Arca Swiss type QR which is clamped on both sides is probably much more stable.

The Pentax 67 has problem with vibrations caused by the shutter. I could never get sharp pictures on my Manfrotto 55 tripod (Bogen 3039 head) with the 67 and 300 lens with or without extender. I bought a Velbon Carmagne 630, because of the weight, and was quite satisfied. Later I invested in the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead and RRS QR plates and that worked well for me. Right now I use the RRS BH-40 head with a level type QR on the Velbon and the Acratech is the Manfrotto.

Best regards

Erik

Also look at using an L-bracket for vertical shooting. You would most likely need a head that uses the arca-swiss/RRS/Kirk quick-release plate system. For me, the ease of use going from horizontal to vertical and back is worth the cost of the system.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153800\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 06:47:08 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up