Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lacie Rugged Storage on the Road  (Read 10764 times)

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
Lacie Rugged Storage on the Road
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 08:38:49 am »

I have been using a little kano surefire mobile drive for the last couple of years, it is very small and has the fw800 connection.
has been very reliable..so far, not sure if they are still available though.

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 09:13:16 am »

I dont know how many dozen times I have read about LaCie drives breaking down, it astonishes me that anyone buys ANY of their products. Once again - they buy the cheapest drives they can (to make them extra $) and stick them in a cool looking but badly designed case (no fans= hot drives) and charge premium prices for them by clever marketing.

Please dont buy their crap: AVOID LaCie.

buy Seagate or WD or just about anyone but them.
make sure you have a fan in the case. or is well vented. if it must be ruggedised try one of the notebook external drives like Seagate, up to 200Gb these days, perpendicular heads and all you could need in reliability.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153984\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You have to bear some thngs in mind. LaCie sells A LOT of hard drives, so it's natural that you would hear of more problems with their drives. Their is no evidence that they buy the cheapest drives (to make extra $, as if that was some sort of sin). In fact - and this may have been implementd recently, not sure when it started - they actually do have hands-on quality control procedures with their drives, which is something not all drive solution sources have in place.

In our experience, LaCie drives have been about average in reliability overall. The "fancy" ones like the Porsche series, etc tend to be less reliable. The d2's have actually had a pretty good record with our customers. You have to remember that most drives have a mtbf of 24 to 36 months. So, saying you bought 6 drives and within 2 years experienced 2 failures is not bad performance. All drives will fail. If you have drives that have not failed, you've been fortunate.

Something else to keep in mind. Manufacturers are not static entities. Things change. LaCie is very aware of some of the reliability issues they've had on some of their products in the past. They have made concerted efforts to improve reliability and support with the QC procedures and they now offer 3 year warranties with optional hot swap warranties.

I think they have responded to some of their issues.

I'm not saying they're the best, I'm only saying they've had some issues, they are repsponding, and the fact they sell so many drives can make their products seem like unreliable choices given the amount - not the rate - of failures.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 10:39:23 am »

LaCie d2 are better than most externals - in my experience - I've received or delivered probably 75-100 of these drives in the past 3 years or so and never had a problem with them. all types of file formats, etc, PSD, TIFF, FFF, CRW. I currently have 4 500GB ones in daily service in my studio and a few in boxes for delivery options...

I also use Rocstor drives a lot, I have 2 1TB drives and a 500GB, they seem to be solid as well. I have a Rocstor 160GB pocket drive that has served me well - FW800, 400 and USB2 - this might be the best small drive out there IMHO

I actually had a LaCie Porsche USB2 drive that went kaput pretty quickly not that long ago - luckily it was only an MP3 backup - looked nice but crap as far as quality...

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 12:22:59 pm »

I use a la Cie Rugged back up drive with my Mac Book Pro when traveling (with SuperDuper back up software).  I also always take another completely separate portable storage device that I can load my cards in directly in case my Mac Book Pro Drive fails.  I would never totally depend on my computer hard drive as I know they can fail.  I have two major trips coming up---one to alaska this summer and one to antarctica next winter.  In addition to the above mentioned storage I'll have enough 8 gb compact flash cards available so I don't have to erase my cards.  I will have images backed up in triple---computer, separate portable storage with it's own hard drive and my compact flash cards.  I'm shooting with a Phase One P45+ back so my files are large.  this is my routine for shoots that can't be repeated and are very important.  I also keep file recovery software on my computer hard drive covering all bases. Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

woof75

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 02:28:44 pm »

I dont know how many dozen times I have read about LaCie drives breaking down, it astonishes me that anyone buys ANY of their products. Once again - they buy the cheapest drives they can (to make them extra $) and stick them in a cool looking but badly designed case (no fans= hot drives) and charge premium prices for them by clever marketing.

Please dont buy their crap: AVOID LaCie.

buy Seagate or WD or just about anyone but them.
make sure you have a fan in the case. or is well vented. if it must be ruggedised try one of the notebook external drives like Seagate, up to 200Gb these days, perpendicular heads and all you could need in reliability.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153984\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hate to say it but I just had 3 WD Mybook drives fail on me and have had a lacie drive for about 3 months now with no problems. I'm always trying to find a reliable drive but it seems they all have there problems. I always back up on 2 different drives of different types and makes. (ALso, I've had about 5 maxtor drives without a single problem). Bon chance!

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 03:55:15 pm »

those WD MyBook drives are a joke...never heard a good thing about them...

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 01:19:06 am »

Hi
We have 2 Lacie rugged drives & they have been great. I also have a Cutie & it is also good. If you have time buy a good enclosure & put a WD or seagate drive in it, at least you will know what is inside.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 02:16:04 am »

not total hard disk drive failure.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176473\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am one of the moaners about having a failed 1TB lacie drive

As far as I am aware that 1TB drive was four 250s sandwiched into a small box

I believe that you are correct in that the actual drive compononts have probably not failed - the data is recoverable If you have access to spares, and understand the software processes that split the data across the different internal drives - but life is too short !

It  is much easier and cheaper to sort out single drives that fail for what ever reason, be it the drive power or whatever, than to try and untangle a multi drive device

Single drives came be repaired/recovered by swapping that drive to a different location easily, not so raid* style drives suing more than one phisical drive

or just thrown away (assuming one is making two backups - which is precient)

Lacies problem therefore was probably not the actual drives but the accessability/cost of repair. As a user i would steer clear of any complex units by lacie or anyone else

S

*probably not the technically correct term - maybe I mean 'stripe'
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

ecpny

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 07:35:06 am »

i am a photographer and digital tech and i highly recommend OWC - Other World Computing.  www.macsales.com  

Their drives are very high quality, great components and they usually use Seagate.  I have portable, desktop and RAID drives from them.

great portable FW800 drive:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20Wor...ng/MS8U5160GB8/

i have heard firsthand problems with Lacie, hopefully their QC is getting better but I don't want to risk my data on their "maybe improving" reputation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up