Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise samples from Sinar e22  (Read 1975 times)

Graham Mitchell

Noise samples from Sinar e22
« on: November 15, 2007, 10:59:51 pm »

Another quick'n'dirty test from me started at 5am...

After the recently posted noise sample from an e75 I was curious to compare with one of my own. The hard drive on the left has textured plastic which could be mistaken for noise. The bottle on the right should be texture-free.

Here is a 100% crop taken at ISO 25 (effectively ISO 50), no noise reduction:

Then I took the same shot at ISO 200 (effectively ISO 400). To be honest the RAW file looks pretty bad but Captureshop's noise reduction cleans it up well. The balance between noise and subtle detail can be selected by the user. This is AFTER noise reduction (around 80% lum, 50% chrom):

Yes, a few subtleties are lost but remember this is a 100% crop.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 11:01:08 pm by foto-z »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:02:44 pm »

I should probably try this again with a detailed texture such as fabric and see how the NR handles it.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 11:31:10 pm »

I hope to upgrade to the 54LV soon, which is supposed to give better noise performance at higher ISOs. If anyone can post samples I would be grateful.

Ok, here is a quick test with an old pair of jeans. 100% crops. As expected the noise reduction doesn't handle the fabric pattern so well. For a real job, I would stack up a normal image and a noise reduced image in photoshop and mask the NR according to taste.

ISO 25, no NR:

ISO 200, no NR:

ISO 200, NR:

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:05:51 am »

I think the poster who tested a sinar and found 'noise' had not exposed correctly for the back

It is my (science-less) theory that probably the bottom 20% of a levels curve (on any digicam) is noisy

Noise comparisions between cameras need expert use of exposure and the levels curves in raw to bring out the best

Exposed correctly cameras dont show noise and incorrectly (the that 45 post) they all do

IMO attached here  is whot to create a noiselss file

By 'over exposing' you need a camera with good higlight recovery (and sinar/eyelikes are that) or great contol of light in a situation to control the DR of an image

Comparative noise between cameras is something that can really only be shown by expert testing

IMO sinar cameras dont have a noise problem (in short exposures) and most other cameras dont either

Finding the best camera is a very complex ratio of DR/noise/sensitivy mesurements all added together

This can probably only be done in a lab environment

E22 are a low sensitivity camera - they have a base rating of 25 ISO so that should come as a suprise to no one

They are a great tool for some jobs

S
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 01:13:22 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up