Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PrintShield  (Read 2636 times)

Brodstein

PrintShield
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:15:40 pm »

I have started to use the aerosol version of PrintShield, for its claimed purpose of enhancing resistance to fading.

I have been using it with Epson Premium Glossy Paper, printed on my Epson R1800 with Gloss Optimizer.

It looks to me that the PrintShield compromises the glossiness slightly, and introduces a subtle mottled appearance.

I have followed the instructions on the can meticulously.

I am wondering if others have noticed the same phenomenon.

Is it because I am using it on glossy paper?

Is it because of the gloss optimizer?

Thank you.

namartinnz

PrintShield
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 09:19:42 pm »

I have started to use the aerosol version of PrintShield, for its claimed purpose of enhancing resistance to fading.

I have been using it with Epson Premium Glossy Paper, printed on my Epson R1800 with Gloss Optimizer.

It looks to me that the PrintShield compromises the glossiness slightly, and introduces a subtle mottled appearance.

Thank you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153207\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It could well be something to do with the gloss optimizer. I think I had something similar happen when spraying Lyson Pringuard onto my z3100 luster prints. On Luster with my Epson 4000 it works great.

Neal
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:38:55 pm by namartinnz »

rwheat

• http://www.westernlandscapes.com.au
PrintShield
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:30:29 pm »

I haven't used it on gloss but am interested in your question.

A single coat on mat canvas usually makes no difference to the mat finish (must soak in).  Three coats on mat canvas gives a semi-satin finish.

Can you do a quick test - with/without GE.  I suspect it will ultimately give a satin finish on any media.

dennysb

• http://www.dennysphoto.com
PrintShield
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:46:00 pm »

I used PrintShield with my prints made on my Canon I9900, in the hopes to enhance the archival properties of my pigment based inks. Anyway, once applied on the paper "Photo Glossy Pro", it does bring the glossy properties down. Not sure if there is anything that can be done about this. For what its worth, once I placed the photo behind glass it is not as noticeable.

I guess I am not of much help really  

Thank you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153207\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Dennys Bisogno
 [url=http://www.de

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
PrintShield
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:10:22 pm »

You're not doing anything wrong. Printshield is essentially a spray-on lacquer; no different in concept than the fixatives artists spray on charcoal or pastel drawings to prevent smudging. Similar products come in matte, gloss, and satin finishes. To get a gloss coating you'd have to apply a gloss-capable product thickly enough that the little bits of it all bleed together.

PremierArt also makes Ecoshield in matte, satin, and gloss finishes, but this does not come in a spray can, and I've heard you'll have the Devil's own time trying to apply it evenly and without streaking if you use a brush or roller.

It's not that using Printshield on photo paper is not advisable, but rather that the slight change in gloss and slight loss of dMax is the trade-off for the added protection it provides.
Pages: [1]   Go Up