Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: calumet has the worst costumer service  (Read 13983 times)

nicolaasdb

• http://
calumet has the worst costumer service
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 03:12:48 am »

okay let me clear this up a little..... I work out of the LA area..so the purchase of my leaf back was done thru calumet LA...Brad Allen was the sucky sales rep...who never even took the time to reply to my last email about the upgrade of my 65 for 65s.

When I book jobs in NYC I always rent from Calumet..the guys at the rental counter are the best!! I you are on the job and call them they will send a messenger to bring you extra equipment without ripping you  a new one financially. They help you with loading and unloading and if equipment get mixed up they call and make sure you get it back (my assistants decided to return some of my own equipment, but what can you expect from a poor assistant when he is part of a team of 6! and gets paid 250-350 for the day).

I always like to be fair and I only realized 5 minutes ago that posting calumet sucks is too general of a statement. So I have to re-phrase: THE CALUMET SALES DEPARTMENT IN LA SUCK, ESPECIALLY THE SALES REP BRAD ALLEN...WHO NEVER EVEN RETURNS EMAILS!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 03:13:45 am by nicolaasdb »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 03:18:45 am »

I still don't get it why MFDB manufacturers rely so much upon a dealer network. Is that a relic from the time the MF market was much larger? A time before the Internet as a widespread medium?

Nowadays that market is much smaller, communication with (potential) clients is much faster and easier.

There is an excellent opportunity to talk/communicate directly to their end-customers for MFDB manufacturers. To have much more control over the market by having a direct relationship with the people that pay for all of it. This was not possible before. The best efforts, which can hardly be called efforts, are the user forums of Phase, Leaf & Sinar. These (maybe with the exception Phase) are very small and only a fraction of what they could be (and that is including the Phase Forum).

How is it possible they are hardly taking advantage of what is possible and are not stepping up to the plate?

Nicolaas, don't you sleep ?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 03:23:36 am by Dustbak »

yaya

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 03:51:16 am »

I still don't get it why MFDB manufacturers rely so much upon a dealer network. Is that a relic from the time the MF market was much larger? A time before the Internet as a widespread medium?

Nowadays that market is much smaller, communication with (potential) clients is much faster and easier.

There is an excellent opportunity to talk/communicate directly to their end-customers for MFDB manufacturers. To have much more control over the market by having a direct relationship with the people that pay for all of it. This was not possible before. The best efforts, which can hardly be called efforts, are the user forums of Phase, Leaf & Sinar. These (maybe with the exception Phase) are very small and only a fraction of what they could be (and that is including the Phase Forum).

How is it possible they are hardly taking advantage of what is possible and are not stepping up to the plate?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Manpower,

We have more than 100 dealers WW...that's 250-300 people on the road which is 4-5 times more than the whole of Leaf. I cover 3 countries and see customers 2-4 times a week. My dealers each see customers 5-6 times a week.

As great as the internet might be (it IS), the most important part of the pre-sale, sale and after-sale cycle is the one-on-one relationship with someone that if needed can jump in the car and come see you on-site.
Sometimes there are cases that take 10 minutes to resolve on-site which could take weeks to figure out from remote, no matter how fantastic the Internet is.

Many photographers are tech savvy but many more are not and these people require hands-on service from someone close.

Yair

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 04:12:52 am »

Manpower,

We have more than 100 dealers WW...that's 250-300 people on the road which is 4-5 times more than the whole of Leaf. I cover 3 countries and see customers 2-4 times a week. My dealers each see customers 5-6 times a week.

As great as the internet might be (it IS), the most important part of the pre-sale, sale and after-sale cycle is the one-on-one relationship with someone that if needed can jump in the car and come see you on-site.
Sometimes there are cases that take 10 minutes to resolve on-site which could take weeks to figure out from remote, no matter how fantastic the Internet is.

Many photographers are tech savvy but many more are not and these people require hands-on service from someone close.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153509\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I always acknowledged that and never said you need to get rid of all dealers, there really are those that deliver added value. Manufacturers can do without the shitty dealers that are out there. If you encounter one as an end-user or if you can do without one there are no options available (yet)! How many of your dealers are really committed?

The one-on-one relationship you mention can perfectly co-exist with the more direct relationship between Manufacturer and end-user.

Just an example.

As you say there are many tech savvy photographers, I believe I am one of them. Why can't these have an online purchase facility directly on the Leaf Website? I know which model I would want (if I don't, I figure it out myself). If I need support I log on to the forum and know there are always people there that help me out. I have no problem to help out others in return (I have seen there are a lot more people that think exactly the same way). It would not take you guys that many manpower to get this going. If the product is really broken you can send it back to a provided address (which is exactly what happens currently with virtually everything you buy).

Another thing. On the Leaf forum I have seen the same questions pass from time to time. There still is no knowledge base where someone has taken the effort to categorize the types of problems you can encounter and their respective solutions.

A marketing thing. On every forum people are registered with their names & email addresses and most of the time with their products and serial numbers. Almost nothing is done with this. This is data (not information because it is not streamlined and used) that is not used but could be used. Why not send everybody a personalized message what their options are when there is a change (product, software, support, etc) (I get the Leaf Forum digest so there is a start). But why did I not get an email from Hasselblad telling me, 'He Ray, you can trade in your 384 for x amount to the new blabla or blabla, if you want to send Mr. X an email he is waiting for you.' These types of things can even be automated so it doesn't have to cost you a lot of manpower.

More options and ideas will cost you money

The people that want or need the extra attention can get it from dedicated dealers which will have more time because they don't have to deal with smart asses like myself.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 04:24:43 am by Dustbak »

pixjohn

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 04:48:41 am »

Its a very simple answer, antitrust. Leaf would only be able sell backs at list price. Leaf Aptus $32,000, Calumet will sell for $26,500. nobody would shop with Leaf. Its the same thing with Apple. They can only sell at retail list price, but stores can discount.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 05:06:11 am »

That is what I am afraid of as well.

In that case outsource your website shop, support area and user forum to a virtual dealer. If you really want to there are ways. Even ways where you don't offend your well-performing dealers.

Apple is an excellent example. Over here Apple sells via its website & there are shops that sell. Price in the shop is equal to the website but in the shop you get extra attention. Not perfect yet because you would want to sell cheaper via the web but that is probably a matter of time, already they offer hardware deals that are together cheaper than in the shop.

There is more than one example where prices in webshops are lower which is perfectly rational.

There will always be people that want to buy via a shop and get the extra attention. If at any time in history everybody is fine with shopping online than there isn't any problem anymore isn't there ?  It is just that rotten start-up period and in between.

I agree this can be difficult. I have worked on outlet schemes for several (very big) parties that felt they were in a bad position because they were depending on few parties to place there goods in the market. On some occasions we were succesfull on others they just had to live with it because they did not dare to take the necessary steps.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 05:29:07 am by Dustbak »

nicolaasdb

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2007, 12:57:38 pm »

I don't understand that dealer network part either...it is great to have that option...but in my case I called Leaf directly and a leaf rep came by for a demo.....I called calumet and they asked me to come to the store!! So I can hold the back instore and point it at a couple of shopping costumers, and listen to the sales reps BS sales pitch?? Don't think so!

But I really don't care how a company decides to do business... I only care about getting my upgrade.... I was shooting with the Leaf Aptus 65 (write it out on purpose...search engine!!) Yesterday and had nothing but problems!!!! All day LONG. So my reason to get a new back is 2 fold!! I need a functioning back and I need a faster back!

I downloaded the newest V11 software, conected my back and it installed the new software....but it still freezes up, doesn't want to turn off and I have to hard reset it (taking battery off) almost 10 times during a 5 hour shoot....pretty amateur and annoying!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:58:22 pm by nicolaasdb »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2007, 02:25:30 pm »

Its a very simple answer, antitrust. Leaf would only be able sell backs at list price. Leaf Aptus $32,000, Calumet will sell for $26,500. nobody would shop with Leaf. Its the same thing with Apple. They can only sell at retail list price, but stores can discount.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153519\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't understand what antitrust laws have to do with this?  Also, I regularly get 5 - 10% off in buying direct from Apple via an my Apple sales rep.
-Ron H.
PS:  Back on topic regarding Calumet, I get highly variable service from the SF store.  Overall, they aren't a particularly happy crowd, but a couple of their employees really know their stuff and have an interest in helping people.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 04:13:39 pm »

I am not sure it is an antitrust issue either. However, it is correct that most Manufacturers sell at retail prices because they do not want to compete with their dealers. The dealers do the bulk of the sales and if the dealers are competiting with the manufacturers then the retailers  may elect not to carry a particular line. Sometimes the manufacturer will set the price for the retail market and if the dealer discounts,  they will no longer allow them to be an authorized dealership.  M

I don't understand what antitrust laws have to do with this?  Also, I regularly get 5 - 10% off in buying direct from Apple via an my Apple sales rep.
-Ron H.
PS:  Back on topic regarding Calumet, I get highly variable service from the SF store.  Overall, they aren't a particularly happy crowd, but a couple of their employees really know their stuff and have an interest in helping people.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153650\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

AndrewDyer

• http://www.andrewdyer.com
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2007, 04:16:54 pm »

I bought my Leaf Aptus 22 from Calumet in Drummond street in London, and found dealing with Sue Jacobs there a real pleasure. Quick responses to queries and very helpful. Let me use an Aptus 75 for about 2 weeks for free while I was waiting for mine to arrive... that's pretty damn good!
I am sure that some dealers are crap but a blanket statement about all of Calumet is not correct.
I would recommend them from my dealings.
Have a good one!
Andrew
 ht

pixjohn

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2007, 04:44:16 pm »

Try buying with a discount from apple directly? The only way around it is the student discount. I have never heard of them actually checking the statues to see if its really a student.  If you want another example the Sony store only sells items at retail list. If an item is discontinued they can then offer a discount.

I don't understand what antitrust laws have to do with this?  Also, I regularly get 5 - 10% off in buying direct from Apple via an my Apple sales rep.
-Ron H.
PS:  Back on topic regarding Calumet, I get highly variable service from the SF store.  Overall, they aren't a particularly happy crowd, but a couple of their employees really know their stuff and have an interest in helping people.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153650\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pixjohn

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2007, 05:01:43 pm »

I do agree Calumet can be good and bad. I happen to have a very good working relationship with calumet and get prices better then B&H Photo. The one major complaint I have they never have stuff in stock and I am stuck going to Samy's. I don't know who Brad Allen is, but I deal with Brad Axiom. (spelling)  I think you have to also be pro active with Leaf and call Rick. If Leaf doe's not have it together, nothing calumet can do.

okay let me clear this up a little..... I work out of the LA area..so the purchase of my leaf back was done thru calumet LA...Brad Allen was the sucky sales rep...who never even took the time to reply to my last email about the upgrade of my 65 for 65s.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2007, 06:47:12 pm »

I walked into the rental department of my local Leaf dealer who is not Calumet and asked if I could rent an A22/H Mount so I could compare a A22 file against my A75 files. The gentleman said, "I won't take your money but you can borrow the A22 whenever you like". So I've been playing with the H1/A22. Holy shit! I like these A22 files! Now what do you think that AFi5 would be like?

David

nicolaasdb

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 09:01:56 pm »

I don't know who Brad Allen is, but I deal with Brad Axiom. (spelling)  I think you have to also be pro active with Leaf and call Rick. If Leaf doe's not have it together, nothing calumet can do.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153674\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are right it is Brad Axen, and he should be "axed" form calument. He never returns calls or emails ( I emailed last monday...never replied!!)

The first time I did business with him he kept on forgetting to put me on the then waiting list for the 65 and when the order finally came the adapter for the mamiya 67 had the A75 screen instead of the A65, which is  a pain, because you can't guess where the sensor stops and make the right crop)
I had to hunt him for about 10 weeks to get the right screen!

He has my Creditcard info and I told him to charge me when the 65s would be available and start the procedure....I guess he doesn't work on commission. The upgrade is not for free, so I am not getting a deal or nothing.

But we will see what Mike form Leaf says and I guess I will take delivery thru Samy's or another dealer....

remember my Leaf back is a f'ing lemon as well, that thing constantly freezes up and the left side of the image (when shooting underexposed) is green and the other side is magenta....not so fantastic and they don't know what to do about it.....I am not rich enough to have a backup back.... I decided to wait for the upgrade so they could just send me a new DB and throw the one I have now off of a building.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up