Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: experience with IPF5100 and i1 profiles?  (Read 6675 times)

tony field

• http://www.tphoto.ca
experience with IPF5100 and i1 profiles?
« on: November 14, 2007, 08:08:55 pm »

Has anyone successfully profiled various papers with the Greta Macbeh i1 and the Canon ipf5100?  How well does the combo work?  Is the print and screen ouput "very good" in terms of image density / colour?

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:46:35 pm »

Has anyone successfully profiled various papers with the Greta Macbeh i1 and the Canon ipf5100?  How well does the combo work?  Is the print and screen ouput "very good" in terms of image density / colour?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152909\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, very well and yes when the display is properly calibrated. IMO, Monaco Profiler profiles are best for those that are very picky.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 11:20:27 pm »

Has anyone successfully profiled various papers with the Greta Macbeh i1 and the Canon ipf5100?  How well does the combo work?  Is the print and screen ouput "very good" in terms of image density / colour?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152909\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been testing a ipf6100 for about 2 months, using EyeOne and ProfileMaker 5 with outstanding results.

As far as print/screen output I assume you mean prints looking like your screen?  I would say yes, especially with photo papers.  I still have a hard time with matte papers and screen, but that has nothing to do with the printer, I have the same problem with all printers and matte paper.

tony field

• http://www.tphoto.ca
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 11:55:11 pm »

Hi Wayne,

thanks for the note.  When you did the profile, did you have to do any adjustment to the ink levels on the printer?  Did you run your profile exactly as created?  How does it print (relative to screen image) for scenics, portraits, or difficult lighting like stage performances?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 05:08:02 pm »

Hi Wayne,

thanks for the note.  When you did the profile, did you have to do any adjustment to the ink levels on the printer?  Did you run your profile exactly as created?  How does it print (relative to screen image) for scenics, portraits, or difficult lighting like stage performances?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152967\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ink levels are adjusted by the paper type used when creating the profile.  If it is a non-Canon paper, I have a rather large test print I make with includes several images and gradients, and use the built in Special 1-10 settings, (1-5 is increasing ink levels using PK, 6-10 is increasing ink levels using MK).  I'm normally looking for areas of pure black that can't handle that much ink to determine the maximum ink level, thus Special setting to use.

I then create the profile using a 4000 to 5000 patch target for photo papers and a 1728 patch target for matte papers/canvas, and build the profile with PM5.  I use the large targets only because I have the i0 table so they are easy to read, but in the past I have used the 918 patch and EyeOne Match which comes with it and have had very good results ...  I'm sure the ipfx100 series will be similar.

I usually take a look at the profile in Colorthink Pro, and print out a few standard test prints.  So far I've been pretty pleased with the results and use them as is, I suppose if I were more experienced and knowledgeable I might get into fine tuning and editing them, but nothing I've seen makes me feel like this is necessary.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 12:00:02 am »

Wayne, are you printing off a separate sample print at each of the 1-5 or 6-10 settings? I am curious how the media type interacts with these settings. In other words, on Epson printers the media type you select predetermines the amount of ink that will be put on the paper. Does the IPF5100 do this as well? Additionally, can you save the media type/setting combination as your own custom paper type that shows up in your driver and on the hardware screen?

Just curious, as I am likely jumping into the IPF5100 very soon.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 12:05:26 am »

I am curious how the media type interacts with these settings. In other words, on Epson printers the media type you select predetermines the amount of ink that will be put on the paper. Does the IPF5100 do this as well? Additionally, can you save the media type/setting combination as your own custom paper type that shows up in your driver and on the hardware screen?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Media Type does determine the Total Ink Limit, as well as affecting native (unprofiled) gray balance.  You can see the Total Ink limits in the FAQ Papers section of the Wiki:

[a href=\"http://canonipf.wikispaces.com]http://canonipf.wikispaces.com[/url]

Unless the 5100 is drastically changed from the iPF5000, you can't save media type/setting combination as a custom paper type which shows up on printer LCD.  However, there is a Print History (at least in the plugin) and you can save favorites from there.  Presumably, you can save all your settings along with the Media Type there, but I haven't actually experimented with it much.

--John
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:12:52 am by John Hollenberg »

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:10:18 am »

The Media Type does determine the Total Ink Limit, as well as affecting native (unprofiled) gray balance.  You can see the Total Ink limits in the FAQ Papers section of the Wiki:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com

Unless the 5100 is drastically changed from the iPF5000, you can't save media type/setting combination as a custom paper type.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153479\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, John. I just took a quick tour through the FAQ, and have one quick question. So let's say that you have this new kick butt third party paper, and you are finding that you need to use a #9 to get the best results and the best blacks from it. Thirsty paper, in other words. Would I need to go to the control panel every time and select Special #9 every time, so I mimic how I created my custom profile settings I used when I printed off the target?
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

John Hollenberg

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 12:16:56 am »

Thanks, John. I just took a quick tour through the FAQ, and have one quick question. So let's say that you have this new kick butt third party paper, and you are finding that you need to use a #9 to get the best results and the best blacks from it. Thirsty paper, in other words. Would I need to go to the control panel every time and select Special #9 every time, so I mimic how I created my custom profile settings I used when I printed off the target?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153480\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andy,

I am not sure with the iPF5100 whether you have to set it on the printer LCD as well as in the plugin or not.  Originally, you had to do so for iPF5000, but there was talk of allowing override from the software (e.g., the plugin).  Not sure if they did that, as I still have the 5000.  When you load paper (tray, cassette or roll) you have to specify the media type (e.g., Special 5, or one of the Canon Media Types) at the printer LCD at the time of loading.  Hope this helps some.

Edit:  Join the Wiki and ask your questions in the discussion forum, as we are getting more people with the 5100 models now who could probably give you a better (i.e., more accurate) answer to your question.

--John
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:19:15 am by John Hollenberg »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 05:13:51 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153480\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When you put in the new paper, the printer ask for a type, and you would use either one of the many Canon paper types, or one of the special 10 paper types.  I am assuming this setting is more informational however, because it appears the settings used are actually those set in the driver when you send the print job.  Here you just pick your Special 9 setting just like any other paper type.  Not much different than any other printer.

If the printer has a different paper type set than the driver, it will display an error, but will go ahead and print the job based on the driver settings, not the printer settings ... at least that seems to be what is happening to me.  I've run a coulple of test charts and the dMax readings seem to be based on what I chose in the driver, even though I intentionally set the printer up for the "wrong" paper type.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 05:28:03 pm »

Wayne,

Thanks for that clarification.  I had read that this was requested by some testers quite a while ago, but hadn't gone back to check whether this is what actually happens (I put in the correct media type and didn't push the printer to see what it would do).  Now, if we could just get Canon to unlock the Media Types and allow us to use what we want for third party papers...  that is the biggest problem remaining IMO.

--John

John Hollenberg

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 06:30:12 pm »

The FAQ is getting so long, I forgot that there is already an entry for this question:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Media+Type+Conflict

--John
Pages: [1]   Go Up