Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ImagePrint?  (Read 5609 times)

Recked

ImagePrint?
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:59:54 am »

Hello,

I realize this topic likely has been beaten to a pulp, but are there any folks out there working with ImagePrint who might know an approximate date when the Z3100 will be supported?

Seems the month that I was told five months ago has now pasted etc. and before I go completely grey or drop all my hair and drop dead I thought it would be great to use ImagePrint again just one last time!

)

Thanks

canlogic

• http://
ImagePrint?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 08:21:42 am »

Even though I upgraded to the latest version to use with my Epson 4000 I would not upgrade again. I find they are getting slower and slower to react and that the newer profiles are not so great. After waiting weeks for profiles for the new Harman gloss paper I found their profiles much worse than the ones available from the Harman site. With products like Lightroom and good profiles available it isn't worth the money. For my new 7880 I will do my own.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
ImagePrint?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:25:53 am »

Same here. I also print with the 4000, and find that IP's superior B&W performance is welcome with this printer. I agree, however, that they are very slow creating profiles--at least for the 4000.

To me, implicit in the transaction of my paying a very substantial sum to purchase and upgrade the software is that they will timely support each of IP's supported printers with profiles for new papers as they become available. I am still awaiting B&W profiles for the new Harman paper, for instance.

At my current printing load, I find little need for IP's layout features. When I upgrade to my next printer (likely one of the HP models), I don't see using IP any longer.
michael sebast

GamutGirl

ImagePrint?
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 05:07:20 pm »

What version of IP is everyone running? We are currently using v6.0 and thinking about upgrading to v7. Unfortunately, my vendor is telling me that the PTAPP features doesn't work 100%, which we use extensively.

Ernst Dinkla

ImagePrint?
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 03:28:53 am »

Hello,

I realize this topic likely has been beaten to a pulp, but are there any folks out there working with ImagePrint who might know an approximate date when the Z3100 will be supported?

Seems the month that I was told five months ago has now pasted etc. and before I go completely grey or drop all my hair and drop dead I thought it would be great to use ImagePrint again just one last time!

)

Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is there any RIP + profile creator right now other than HP's own RIP that is sophisticated enough in the color engine + CM to handle the Z3100 inkset as good as HP's driver +profile do ?  I have my disappointments with the Wasatch SoftRip 6.2 and I have not seen messages on other RIPs that say metamerism, clean colors, saturation, B&W printing is better than or equal to the HP driver. A friend with a Canon iPF9000 has a similar experience with two RIPs + several profile creators. The question is more general than IP being late I'm afraid. This is no criticism of the printers inksets but another observation that RIPs, as expensive as they are, often do not deliver what they promise. That's not new but gets more clear with any advancement in printer technology.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

Malcolm Payne

ImagePrint?
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 05:28:19 am »

Is there any RIP + profile creator right now other than HP's own RIP that is sophisticated enough in the color engine + CM to handle the Z3100 inkset as good as HP's driver +profile do ?  I have my disappointments with the Wasatch SoftRip 6.2 and I have not seen messages on other RIPs that say metamerism, clean colors, saturation, B&W printing is better than or equal to the HP driver. A friend with a Canon iPF9000 has a similar experience with two RIPs + several profile creators. The question is more general than IP being late I'm afraid. This is no criticism of the printers inksets but another observation that RIPs, as expensive as they are, often do not deliver what they promise. That's not new but gets more clear with any advancement in printer technology.
Ernst Dinkla

try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152990\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You could have a look at the ColorGATE ProductionServer/PhotoGATE RIP (www.colorgate.com), which I've been using for the last six years or so with a variety of printers including very recently a Canon iPF8000. The price of the full wide-format ProductionServer version is somewhat eye-watering, but the raster version of PhotoGATE for 24" printers isn't too bad as professional RIPs go. A fully functional demo DVD (it watermarks the output until licensed) is available to order from their web site.

I've not used it personally with a Z3100, but I know it does have good support for that printer. It will certainly drive the Canon in either CMYK or RGB mode and, I assume, also the HP; and, at least with the additional ColorGATE profiling module, can drive the Z3100 spectro directly. Its Z3100 support also includes a print monitor function so that it can access the print log directly, rather than having to go via HP's own monitoring software.

Edit: At least with the iPF series, it uses Canon's own half-toning module; I'm not sure what it does with the HP.

In its latest (v5.0x) incarnation it uses a 16-bit colour engine and internal data path, though it currently only outputs at 8-bit (at my suggestion ColorGATE are looking into whether they can output 10/12-bit data in a future release to match Canon's Photoshop plug-in for the iPF series - their tech. support department is very responsive to registered users).

I went for an extensive demo of the Z3100 and the iPF8000 at my dealer, both driven by ColorGATE ProductionServer, and also had a long discussion with their tech. expert who said that they are getting excellent results out of both printers with this RIP. They had tried profiling the machines as CMYK or CMYK + N, but were actually getting better results by profiling and driving them in RGB mode. I'm currently only in the very early stages of experimenting with the IPF8000 (my spectro died as I went to profile the first roll of paper and I've only just got it back from X-Rite), but the initial results using ColorGATE's default RGB target and profiling module look pretty good so far, with very neutral B&W output with little bronzing on glossy media, no obvious metamerism and none of the nasties that Ernst reported from the Wasatch RIP.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with any of the above companies, other than as a satisfied professional user of their products.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 07:10:57 am by Malcolm Payne »

Frere Jacques

• http://found.kezman.info/
ImagePrint?
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 06:44:07 am »

What version of IP is everyone running? We are currently using v6.0 and thinking about upgrading to v7. Unfortunately, my vendor is telling me that the PTAPP features doesn't work 100%, which we use extensively.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

V6 here. Will probably upgrade to v7 when I upgrade to a 3800.

In IPs defense, the have been a *TON* of new printers & papers released in the last 12 months & I think they are a pretty small shop...

Recked

ImagePrint?
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 09:51:05 am »

Hello,

Just an fyi that my intention for this post was NOT to beat up on ImagePrint. John was very helpful to me when I emailed him over and over again prior to my buying version 6 as I am very new to RIPs in general and all the rest that go with them.

I was just curious as I believe there a folks out there helping IP "demo" the new version for the Z3100 printers so I thought perhaps they might have some idea of a date.

Anyway was just wondering is all and not looking to abuse a company that was helpful to me................

thanks

jdrenda

ImagePrint?
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 10:26:58 am »

I have been using version V6  with my epson 4000 and I have been really happy with image print and I don't need to upgrade, this version suits my needs, John

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
ImagePrint?
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 11:27:51 am »

I posted before on this. On my site there are some screen grabs with the Z3100 and IP7. I wrote to John twice already to have some news----with no reply.
I liked the transitions in colours and the overall look and feel. There were however some contouring problems which the driver does not do. I would only use IP 7 if this were fixed. At the time I had only 2 profiles, both of which would be obsolete with all the firmware updates.
I will still recommend IP in any case for a production shop, as you really want to save out spooled files. You can do this with the Z PS models although there are no package or advanced nesting functions, so a RIP like IP is a big plus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up