Equipment & Techniques > Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography

2D Images which have a 3D-Look

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ray:

--- Quote ---In real world 3D this is the same: Just hold something at arms length and focus your eye to it. The background becomes blurry. If you focus (your eye) on the background the object in your hand becomes blurry.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

That's true but with one important distinction. In the real world we cannot focus on something that is out of focus. As soon as we attempt to do so, it springs back into focus almost immediately.

With the camera we have this relatively new phenomena where out-of-focusness can be recorded and then viewed with fully focussed eyes, and qualities such as bokeh, for example, can be examined.

When the eye takes in a scene, it will flit from side to side, and with each shift of the gaze everything's in focus. In a photo of the same scene, it's possible that parts of the image will be OoF and there's nothing the viewer can do to bring those parts back into focus. They are and remain out of focus because they were, in the original real world scene, either nearer or farther than something else in the scene that was in focus.

Ray:

--- Quote ---Depth of field does affect the sense of scale in an image

Has anyone seen the series of baseball shot tilt and shift it really messes wsith ones sense of scale..

some of them here
Actually a lot IMO for realistic appearance is about shooting a suject from the distance we are 'used' to viewing it at

So people  could be shot from 1-4 meters a 'sociable distance' - but baseball probably looks wrong from 1-4 meters because we are used to looking at it from the touchline. Flying Planes proably look a bit wierd shot with a wide becuae we are used seeing them from afar too .....

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152647\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

That first baseball shot with the OoF spectators in the stadium is perhaps an example of how the 3-D effect is diminished in a small image. My eye was first attracted to the large OoF mass or mess with lots of little circles before I noticed a few small figures in the bottom left corner.

However, the lower image despite being small, does impart a great sense of 3-dimensionality which I suggest is due to those OoF parts in both the foreground and the background. The fact that some of that baggage in the foreground on the far left is out of focus, despite also appearing to be in the same plane as the figures on the right which are very much in focus, is a little weird, or shall we say novel, but still contributes to the heightened sense of 3-D, perhaps because they are still some distance away from the in-focus figures.

Morgan_Moore:

--- Quote ---That first baseball shot with the OoF spectators in the stadium is perhaps an example of how the 3-D effect is diminished in a small image. My eye was first attracted to the large OoF mass or mess with lots of little circles before I noticed a few small figures in the bottom left corner.

However, the lower image despite being small, does impart a great sense of 3-dimensionality which I suggest is due to those OoF parts in both the foreground and the background. The fact that some of that baggage in the foreground on the far left is out of focus, despite also appearing to be in the same plane as the figures on the right which are very much in focus, is a little weird, or shall we say novel, but still contributes to the heightened sense of 3-D, perhaps because they are still some distance away from the in-focus figures.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

My point about these images is that to me they look like 'toy size' people

so the DOF and circle of confusion is affecting the percived sense of scale

maybe that is off this topic

S

EricWHiss:

--- Quote ---Depth of field does affect the sense of scale in an image

Has anyone seen the series of baseball shot tilt and shift it really messes wsith ones sense of scale..

some of them here
Actually a lot IMO for realistic appearance is about shooting a suject from the distance we are 'used' to viewing it at

So people  could be shot from 1-4 meters a 'sociable distance' - but baseball probably looks wrong from 1-4 meters because we are used to looking at it from the touchline. Flying Planes proably look a bit wierd shot with a wide becuae we are used seeing them from afar too .....

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152647\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

Yes, I've seen those images and know exactly what you mean. Tilt/shift images always get that toy model feeling. Why is that? I mean why do we interpret them as being small diorama's?  Is it because when we get in that close to a toy subject our own eye's DOF becomes tiny?

Morgan_Moore:

--- Quote ---Yes, I've seen those images and know exactly what you mean. Tilt/shift images always get that toy model feeling. Why is that? I mean why do we interpret them as being small diorama's?  Is it because when we get in that close to a toy subject our own eye's DOF becomes tiny?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152968\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

Or becasue weve learned over time that photographs of small things have less DOF

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version