Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: mamiya and phase  (Read 69354 times)

meierruedi@hotmail.com

mamiya and phase
« on: November 13, 2007, 10:07:25 am »

Graham Mitchell

mamiya and phase
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:11:48 am »

I assume this means a whole new line of leaf shutter lenses? Bold move.

amsp

mamiya and phase
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:40:29 am »

The photography gods are listening after all!  Can't wait to see the things to come.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:41:32 am by amsp »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
mamiya and phase
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 11:04:45 am »

'The first new camera system will be introduced in q1 2008. '

That doesn't say leaf shutter system perse but it is promising. It does say they are developing something new.

I wonder what 'will be introduced' actually means? Will it be available than (or shortly after) or is it a paper introduction?

amsp

mamiya and phase
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 11:08:15 am »

'The first new camera system will be introduced in q1 2008. '

That doesn't say leaf shutter system perse but it is promising. It does say they are developing something new.

I wonder what 'will be introduced' actually means? Will it be available than (or shortly after) or is it a paper introduction?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152440\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The impression I've had from previous P1 hints are that they are launching a new camera Q1. And I think a faster flash sync in camera or in the form of leaf shutter lenses is a pretty safe bet since this is the only thing really lacking in the AFD

jimgolden

• http://
mamiya and phase
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 11:13:26 am »

wow, that might kill some ZD mojo...or not

uh, wait a sec...Q1 2008 is like 3-4 months from now, so they may have a new camera system by
then?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 11:14:25 am by jimgolden »

Photomangreg

mamiya and phase
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 11:15:30 am »

I can't imagine this will be anything we will see soon, look how long it has taken the Hy6 to materialize, and the ZD, etc.  And since it sounds like this is in reaction to Hassy ending the H2, it's not like it's something they have been working on for a long time if it's just being announced now.  Phase is notorious for announcing things well in advance of it actually shipping.

Time will tell....

amsp

mamiya and phase
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 11:21:35 am »

I can't imagine this will be anything we will see soon, look how long it has taken the Hy6 to materialize, and the ZD, etc.  And since it sounds like this is in reaction to Hassy ending the H2, it's not like it's something they have been working on for a long time if it's just being announced now.  Phase is notorious for announcing things well in advance of it actually shipping.

Time will tell....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152447\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On the contrary, seeing that Mamiya released the AFDII quite some time ago I think they've been tinkering away on a new design since then. I'm not even sure it's such a big deal really, just some improved AF and faster flash sync and there you go, AFDIII  Anything else would just be a plus in my book. I also think both companies realize that they can't drag their feet here if the want to compete with the Hy6 and H3DII.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
mamiya and phase
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 12:06:15 pm »

On the contrary, seeing that Mamiya released the AFDII quite some time ago I think they've been tinkering away on a new design since then. I'm not even sure it's such a big deal really, just some improved AF and faster flash sync and there you go, AFDIII  Anything else would just be a plus in my book. I also think both companies realize that they can't drag their feet here if the want to compete with the Hy6 and H3DII.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152450\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

if they have leaf shutters, backward lens compatability and multipoint focus it will be a winner.

technically i beleive it is hard to get flash synch up without leaf shutters - too much curtain to move too fast

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

John Camp

mamiya and phase
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 12:27:23 pm »

Very interesting. I've always had a soft spot for Mamiya - I used an RZ for years. This will be particularly attractive if Mamiya maintains its traditional market position of being cheaper, piece-for-piece, than the German-based models, while keeping performanced in the same class. Maye time for the prices of MF to start drifting down...?

JC

mcrepsej

• http://www.iversenfoto.dk
mamiya and phase
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 12:41:33 pm »

I can't imagine this will be anything we will see soon, look how long it has taken the Hy6 to materialize, and the ZD, etc.  And since it sounds like this is in reaction to Hassy ending the H2, it's not like it's something they have been working on for a long time if it's just being announced now.  Phase is notorious for announcing things well in advance of it actually shipping.

Time will tell....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152447\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

..........but did you know that PhaseOne did develope 35% of the electronics to H1 for Hasy???

McRepsej
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:42:49 pm by mcrepsej »

TechTalk

mamiya and phase
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 12:51:32 pm »

..........but did you know that PhaseOne did develope 35% of the electronics to H1 for Hasy???

McRepsej
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152470\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No. Did you know that in reality, it was a company in Sweden?
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

hubell

mamiya and phase
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 02:30:04 pm »

http://www.mamiya.co.jp/news_eng_20071113.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152425\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the President of Phase One gets my vote for the Hypocrite of the Year Award. When PDN interviewed him last month about the announced "strategic relationship" with Microsoft and asked him about what products to expect, here is what he had to say: "For competitive reasons, we do not comment on future product plans." He should amend that statement to read as follows: "For competitive reasons, we do not comment on future product plans, unless we need to in order to try to slow the inroads into our market share by potential buyers of Hasselblad H3Ds and Hy6s, in which case we will announce products today that we intend to "introduce" next year and let potential customers guess/fantasize in chat rooms about what that product will be and when it will actually ship."

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
mamiya and phase
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 02:47:48 pm »

Which is not too different from most other players in this field I guess?

I can mention numerous things that have been announced by any given party that took a very long time to materialize or even never showed up.

Nothing new here.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:50:33 pm by Dustbak »

canmiya

• beyond stills
mamiya and phase
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 02:52:40 pm »

I think the President of Phase One gets my vote for the Hypocrite of the Year Award. When PDN interviewed him last month about the announced "strategic relationship" with Microsoft and asked him about what products to expect, here is what he had to say: "For competitive reasons, we do not comment on future product plans." He should amend that statement to read as follows: "For competitive reasons, we do not comment on future product plans, unless we need to in order to try to slow the inroads into our market share by potential buyers of Hasselblad H3Ds and Hy6s, in which case we will announce products today that we intend to "introduce" next year and let potential customers guess/fantasize in chat rooms about what that product will be and when it will actually ship."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
i'm not sure i follow...was the question and his answer specific to the microsoft alliance or to broader activity?  the hy6 has been on the horizon for quite some time, and basically hasselblad let the market know what its plans were when the hd3 was introduced and the new lens was not compatible with the older h models.  if phase and mamiya are going to introduce a new camera in the first quarter of 08, they just didn't start working together on it  two weeks ago....as for making announcements and letting people fantasize about them, isn't that the norm?  look at the hy6/leaf afi, canon 1ds3, nikons d300, and the d3 just to name  few...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:54:43 pm by canmiya »

amsp

mamiya and phase
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 02:54:47 pm »

I love how you complain in another post on how people who don't use hasselblad bitch about their pressreleases and here you are doing the same thing  

JDG

mamiya and phase
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 03:01:39 pm »

Yes this seems quite a bit harsh, after all it would be poor business relations for him to talk about products that are coming, especially with other companies, without first releasing an official press release.  

Phase One has been saying for quite some time that they believed the MFDB market should be open and that they disagreed with Hasselblad's decision to close off the H series.  It is refreshing to see this new camera system will be in line with their rhetoric.

Snook

mamiya and phase
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 03:08:11 pm »

Well I went with a P30  just now after much debating between it and the Aptus 22.
I will be getting the P30 in 2 weeks.
The press release ,whether accurate or not , did help me lean towards the Phase since I am with Mamiya anyways.
Now hopefully they will get their act together and come out with a higher syncing body or some AF leafshutter lens!!!
Snook

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
mamiya and phase
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 03:55:28 pm »

Hmm, my guess: we will probably see a re-branded Mamiya, maybe with some of the above mentionned features and a P30(+) back for a great competitive price. Maybe they will call it ZDII, ZDsMarkII, ZDx or another confusing name;-)))

tom

condit79

• http://calebcondit.com
mamiya and phase
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 04:58:33 pm »

or what about a "mamiya 1".  Hopefully it'll be better than pepsi one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up