I have semi-upgraded my 1-week old Z3100ps. The new firmware 188.8.131.52 is functional in the printer. I am struggling with which driver(s) to install. I'm running XPPro, SP2 on a PC. I have several questions, but first, here is what I have done.
Using the Printers & Faxes> Properties> Advanced> New Driver dialogue I managed to download into 3 separate folders and unzip to those folders the following drivers: Postscript driver, HP-GL2 driver, HP-Raster driver. All are v61.71.841.0. I managed to get them all "installed" to where, when I click on New Driver and HP, they all show up in the list. Here are the driver questions:
1)Should they all be where I put them?
2) If I pick the new ones, or the HPZ3100ps 24 PS3 as the default, I get problems. I selected plain old HPZ3100ps24, and that seems to work, to a degree. Which should I pick as a default? Should I delete the others from the driver list?
3) One reason I bought the PS GP version of the printer was to access the "embedded" RIP. How do I go about this? Mainly, I want it so I can arrange multiple images on a page, the way I used to with Qimage and my 13" Epson desktop printer.
4) My goals are to save paper by: a) printing 2 11x17's as portraits, side by side on a 24" roll, and to print 2 8.5x11's as a pair of landscapes, end to end, to use a 24x10" piece of the 24" roll. I have tremendous confusion, with the multiple tabs of the interface, as to how to set paper size, portrait vs landscape, rotate 90 degrees, auto-rotate, etc. In addition, I now get a message that the printer will not let me choose a width (24") that is greater than the height, and it switches the dimensions.
5) Related to this is "nesting," which I can't seem to get the printer to do.
6) I don't want to have to combine my images onto one canvas in CS3 as a workaround. And even then, I found that either the image printed vertically on one side of the roll, wasting much space, or it printed horizontally with less than half of the image being printed.
7) How would I set up Qimage to print, say, to a 24" wide x 18" high page so that I can drag 2 or more images onto the page at their original embedded sizes?
Finally, for today: My working space is ProPhoto RGB, and I work with 16bit color. Do I need to change that when sending the files to the printer? I have profiled and calibrated my papers, and have Qimage or CS3 manage the color, with my own profile. Of course I have the printer set to let the application manage the color.
9) Really finally for today: I got pretty good results with Epson Enhanced Matte using the HP Matte Litho as a starting point. What paper type should I use to calibrate/profile Epson Premium Luster, as I have a 24" roll of it sitting in my room. I saw in the z3100 Users Guide that the spectro will not calibrate or profile a glossy textured paper. Is the Premium Luster glossy? And if I can profile it, should it use the GE?
I would appreciate any help here, as I have to have some prints ready for Friday, 11/16. I don't want to go back to my desktop, dye ink printer.