Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Capture or ACR?  (Read 3117 times)

jing q

• we are super
Leaf Capture or ACR?
« on: November 13, 2007, 05:24:49 am »

Was wondering who's using which developer for their Leaf files.
personally I'm finding ACR much easier to use, but I've heard from numerous people that they prefer the output of Leaf Capture. Was wondering at which points they differ?
what are the pros and cons of each output?

Personally I love all the little adjustments I can make in ACR. but I would love to use Capture 11 more often too if there are good reasons...

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Leaf Capture or ACR?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 05:46:58 am »

I use ACR for product & stills. I need speed in most case there and ACR with Bridge & actions from the image processor provides this very well.

I used RD (or LC11) for most things with people in it. I find the skintone rendering and overall color rendering of RD & LC better than with ACR. It also looks like both RD and LC gets more detail from the files.

On higher ISO I also use LC or RD. Especially with well-lit high ISO files both RD & LC11 blow ACR out of the water.

Snook

Leaf Capture or ACR?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 07:21:32 am »

Hey Dustbak, What are the tethering options with the Leaf... Only through Leaf software I imagine or is there a way to have a drop folder that sends them into Lightroom? Or is that option not available yet?
Can someone confirm how they shoot tethered with the Leaf System? And is it as fast or easy as shooting with C-1.
I must admit if I go Leaf I will be missing C-1 a little. I have been using it for about 5 years Now.
Does tethering shooting with Leaf and Macintosh a no brainer???
Do they come up fast and full screen anyway?
Thanks for any more information as I am getting ever so close to buying my Aptus22 or P30!!:+}
Snook

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Leaf Capture or ACR?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 07:39:38 am »

I love working tethered with the Leaf, it can only be done via Leaf Capture for the moment though I have heard rumours it will eventually also be integrated in Raw Developer.

It is fast, images are on screen fairly fast but the best part is that it works flawlessly. Janking out the firewire cable and putting it back in, LC11 doesn't care and just continues where it has left of. Images come up on screen as big as your screen allows. I use 2 screens, 1 21" for the previews another 21" for the tools, etc..

There are people that shoot into a folder that is being used in Lightroom and immediately imported. I have no experience using it that way. I shot into a folder that I had open in CS3 Bridge. From there I made adjustments and ran it through the imageprocessor with actions if needed. The files end up in a folder somewhere, there is no restriction in you running another piece of software picking up the files where LC11 puts them. I would love to see a REAL 'hot folder' solution while shooting tethered sofar none of the backs I use provide this. There are several options to get to this but all of them involve scripting or other forms of automation software (I have not yet been annoyed enough to actually make something like this, I guess I should )

I cannot truly compare shooting tethered with the Leaf with shooting tethered in C1, I can just say that shooting tethered with a Leaf has never disappointed me though I still have some stuff on my wish list.

LC11 is very stable now, you can process large amounts of files (at least I can) without crashes or other nasty stuff. Only the processing to tiff of jpg with LC11 is slooooowww........ You are better of using RD, IMO. However the stability is great, I closed the lid of my MBP more than once when LC11 was still processing, it just continued when I opened the MBP again!

Get it over with and go for either one, I am sure none of them will let you down  From all of your considerations both backs appear to be pretty equal in pros&cons for your typical use. If you are truly in need of an MFDB you are now wasting time you could have been shooting with either one of them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:41:43 am by Dustbak »

Snook

Leaf Capture or ACR?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 07:54:05 am »

Thanks a lot Dustbak, I really appreciate the comments..:+}
Now for another question.
I have been offered a Aptus 65 NON "S" for not much more than an Aptus 22.. But I have not seen anybody talking about the 65, Only the Aptus 22...
IS there pro's or Con's between those 2 Backs?
Or are they meant for 2 different applications?
I was wondering because I just got a mail yesterday for a refurbed Aptus22 and a NEW 65 and the 65 is only 2k grand more...?
Thanks again and hope to have one in my hands very soon.
Snook

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Leaf Capture or ACR?
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 08:03:37 am »

The 65 has the cropped version of the sensor. Next to that it has more resolution and I believe one ISO stop more than the A22. (on the high end & one less on the low end).

If wideangle is not that important to you and you fancy having 6Mp more the 65 would be the choice.

If you can do with 22Mp and like to be using 35 or 28 mm (in one shot) you would be better of with the A22.

The larger sensor backs of both Leaf as well as Phase were more expensive than the cropped (at least here and most places I looked they were). The A22 was priced higher than the A65 over here.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:24:59 am by Dustbak »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Leaf Capture or ACR?
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 09:04:42 am »

I agree, there are annoying things about RD but it is fast with processing .mos files. Which was sometimes exactly what I needed.

If LC11 would be that fast it would be a no-brainer. I would definitely stick to LC for processing.

For some reason I don't use Lightroom but prefer CS3 Bridge for selecting, modifying and running files through various actions. Lightroom would be better as a DAM but in that area I find it not advanced enough (no decent network support).
Pages: [1]   Go Up