Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is that image that lightroom first shows?  (Read 2417 times)

caddy

What is that image that lightroom first shows?
« on: November 12, 2007, 02:39:59 pm »

When you first import photos to lightroom, LR then begins processing the images and does some kind of update (the thumbnails will change, if you're looking using the loupe your view will show "loading" and then update).

The problem for me is that, most of the time, the initial image is far superior to what LR ends up with.  I'll be looking at a nice shot that I'd be very happy with, then LR updates and the new version has had all the life and vitality sucked out of it.  It looks like it's being desaturated and the contrast increased, but all my twiddling never seems to get it back to where it was.

I'm importing raw images from a variety of Nikon bodies with no preset.  Using "reset" doesn't restore the image to that original view I had.

What is that initial view that LR puts up?  What is LR doing and is there some way to make it stop?

Cliff

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:44:29 pm »

Guess: JPEG thumbnail embedded in the RAW/DNG.

caddy

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 03:04:13 pm »

Guess: JPEG thumbnail embedded in the RAW/DNG.
Yep, that's my guess.  Further investigation shows that Nikon Capture gives me a result that's very close to if not identical to the initial LR view.  I'll see if I can upload an example of the difference.

Cliff

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 03:16:38 pm »

Yep, that's my guess.  Further investigation shows that Nikon Capture gives me a result that's very close to if not identical to the initial LR view.  I'll see if I can upload an example of the difference.

Cliff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152195\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I see the same thing with Canon G9 raw files where the camera gets it rigth. I often
have to adjust WB to get it right. With my 5D raws LR gets it right.
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

caddy

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 03:18:15 pm »

Here's an example of the Nikon View vs LR output. These are 100% crops of images as imported by each, with no processing.  LR's initial view is basically like NV's output.

I love LR's cataloging and processing abilities, if only I could get better initial results.

Cliff
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 03:20:20 pm by caddy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up