Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Framing Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper  (Read 2020 times)

Brodstein

Framing Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper
« on: November 12, 2007, 02:13:52 pm »

I have printed seven color prints using Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy (13" X 19") on my Epson R1800.

I have a very good framer, who used a mat and board, taped the prints at the top with two strips of archival quality tape, and put them into Nielsen frames.

Unfortunately, the prints show rippling at certain angles, particularly at the top.

What should I do to avoid this problem?

* Have the prints mounted (which some people do not recommend for fine art prints)?

* Not use glossy paper (in which case, what type of paper looks best under acrylic)?

* Use thicker paper (what recommendations)?

Thank you very much.

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 03:56:48 pm »

Without seeing the print, a specific diagnosis is pretty tough.  Did your framer use T-hinge style mounting with linen tape?  Using that technique allows quite a bit of print expansion/contraction for humidity change without ripples, but is still quite secure.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 04:18:51 pm »

But even with that method ripples can still occur in very high-humidity or very low-humidity environments. The only way to guarantee it will lie perfectly flat is to have it mounted (e.g., dry mount or cold mount).

Most glossy papers are 13 mils or thinner. All of these are prone to rippling.

Most of my prints are on matte papers. Even thick matte papers (e.g., 19 mils) can ripple but the rippling is less noticeable because the matte papers are diffuse.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 04:20:25 pm by madmanchan »
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up