Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing raw, jpeg, and wav files  (Read 1801 times)

marty m

• http://
Importing raw, jpeg, and wav files
« on: November 12, 2007, 01:15:25 pm »

I've never used Lightroom for importing from CF cards, because in version 1.0 Lighroom only imports the raw files, and fails to import jpeg and wav files with the same file name.  Once you erase your CF cards (which would be the normal procedure after importing files) those other files are gone -- so Lightroom effectively throws them away.

I'll admit that I haven't tested version 1.2, but figured someone here would know the answer.  Did Adobe fix this very signficant problem with Lightroom? (There is something in the options/preferences about jpegs with the same file name, which makes me wonder.  I'll admit that I haven't tested it.)

Does version 1.2 now import all files on the CF card -- such as raw, jpeg and audio wav files?

If not, I'll continue to use Photo Mechanic for imports and for my first review of shots.  PM imports all of the files, whereas by failing to do so Lightroom throws away two out of three.  I also make heavy use of the audio recording feature on Canon pro bodies to make a note of those factors that are not included in exif data.  PM plays those files back.  As far as I know, Lightroom 1.2 still doesn't do so, unless I'm missing something.  Lightroom is therefore a very incomplete workflow solution since this failure occurs at the first point of ingesting/importing files.

Even if Lightroom 1.2 now imports raw and jpeg files from CF cards, I still would not use it for imports if it throws away the audio wav files.

For a program that is advertised as a complete workflow solution, this was a huge omission in version 1.0, and am wondering if that is still the case today.

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:12:03 pm »

It's not gonna do WAV files, but JPEG files sure.  Are you certain it threw away JPEGs in 1.0 or did it just make it look like it when you imported RAW+JPEG?

marty m

• http://
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 04:01:57 pm »

It's not gonna do WAV files, but JPEG files sure.  Are you certain it threw away JPEGs in 1.0 or did it just make it look like it when you imported RAW+JPEG?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152176\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Version 1.0 definitely threw away JPEG and would only import one file type with the same name.  That is, from CF cards.  (There is a previous thread and posting on this topic that pertains to version 1.0 if you search under my user name.)

So I assume you've tried this with vers 1.2 and know that Lightroom will import both JPEGS and Raw that use the same file name?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 04:02:33 pm by marty m »
Pages: [1]   Go Up