Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645AFD-II and PhaseOne P45 Back  (Read 16667 times)

Snook

Mamiya 645AFD-II and PhaseOne P45 Back
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 07:17:05 am »

Wo wo wo , wait a minute.. Did some one say you can use the Mamiya Leaf shutters with the Mamiya AFDII but you have put the camera in mirror lock up and manually crank it..?
That is not too bad if it works!!
My old Pentax 6X7 was manually cranked...:+}
Can some one confirm that the Leaf shutters DO work somehow?
I have been asking that question many times as I have the 55,80,150 Leafshutters collecting dust for the last 6 years!!!
Can someone please confirm that they work??
Manual or not I would love to able to use them again!!!!
Thanks for any further information on the subject!
Snook

amsp

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 07:25:53 am »

Yes, at least that's what Mamiya USA told me.

Wo wo wo , wait a minute.. Did some one say you can use the Mamiya Leaf shutters with the Mamiya AFDII but you have put the camera in mirror lock up and manually crank it..?
That is not too bad if it works!!
My old Pentax 6X7 was manually cranked...:+}
Can some one confirm that the Leaf shutters DO work somehow?
I have been asking that question many times as I have the 55,80,150 Leafshutters collecting dust for the last 6 years!!!
Can someone please confirm that they work??
Manual or not I would love to able to use them again!!!!
Thanks for any further information on the subject!
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152365\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

amsp

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 07:27:39 am »

I believe that most lenses serve their purpose and outperform most photographers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152362\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hear, hear

jonstewart

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 09:14:53 am »

same with Patek Phillip and Rolex
Mercedes and Cadilac

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mercedes is a very bad example to pick to support your point, and I'm not sure Cadilac is much better.

In fact Mercedes may be a very good example to disprove your point. A number of years ago they dumbed down their engineering to reduce cost (is this like Hasselblad?) and as a result quality suffered, reliability suffered and customer satisfaction and the cache of the brand suffered. Now they're not seen as the prestige car they were.

No, I guess Mercedes is a good example, depending on what you want to assert!

(I drive an Audi, that way I don't have to put concrete blocks in the back when the roads get frosty!)
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 01:28:33 pm »

Mercedes is a very bad example to pick to support your point, and I'm not sure Cadilac is much better.

In fact Mercedes may be a very good example to disprove your point. A number of years ago they dumbed down their engineering to reduce cost (is this like Hasselblad?) and as a result quality suffered, reliability suffered and customer satisfaction and the cache of the brand suffered. Now they're not seen as the prestige car they were.

No, I guess Mercedes is a good example, depending on what you want to assert!

(I drive an Audi, that way I don't have to put concrete blocks in the back when the roads get frosty!)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152405\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry if I offended; just want to put forth the perceptual vs technical as far as quality is concerned. I doubt Hasselblad OR Mercedes ar going down, not from the 6 mo wait I have for my next car.

However, the Mam is a fine platform, and the Contax unfortunately shares low synch speed with it. But I have found ways around.
I have liked Maniya Sekor from many (TOO MANY :-) years back, but it just the Zeiss and Leica look that I prefer, as do some (many??) others.

Keep an open mind though in SPITE of the 'label'

regards
Victor

jonstewart

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 02:52:43 pm »

Sorry if I offended;

regards
Victor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152479\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, you didn't offend me at all. Thought it was an interesting point you made and just wanted to give as good as I got  !

There's nothing wrong with choosing a brand that is perceived to be 'classier' than some other, as long as it can deliver technically. Most clients don't care about equipment (and probably couldn't tell you more than one MF platform, if at all) but you might work in an area where they think themselves more 'savvy' (for all the wrong reasons).

Anybody asks me what camera I use, I tell them a Phase One. This usually ends the conversation, since if you don't say Canon or Nikon, they're lost!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:53:14 pm by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 02:57:22 pm »

Yes, at least that's what Mamiya USA told me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152367\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
i was told the same thing by the mamiya reps....

Snook

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 03:26:35 pm »

I cannot believe that people say, I was told by the rep...
I am sure there are many that would LOVE to have the capability to shoot with Leafshutter lens, especially when they are dirt cheap!!
What the Heck is up with this forum..
Are they all Landscape shooters in here.. Seems like it.
I guess I will have to let people know in a week or so because I am getting my AFDII next week and have a 55,80,150 Leaf shutter lens that are all 2.8 I might add... and I'll post if they work or not..
I guess all the Portrait and fashion shooters steer far from these forums. Seems that most in here are shooting trees an fields...  
Snook

amsp

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 03:31:26 pm »

I cannot believe that people say, I was told by the rep...
I am sure there are many that would LOVE to have the capability to shoot with Leafshutter lens, especially when they are dirt cheap!!
What the Heck is up with this forum..
Are they all Landscape shooters in here.. Seems like it.
I guess I will have to let people know in a week or so because I am getting my AFDII next week and have a 55,80,150 Leaf shutter lens that are all 2.8 I might add... and I'll post if they work or not..
I guess all the Portrait and fashion shooters steer far from these forums. Seems that most in here are shooting trees an fields...  
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It seems you have trouble reading what people are writing.. like we were saying, they DO work, but only with mirror up and manual cocking of the shutter. This makes them pretty much useless for fashion photographers like myself.

Snook

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 03:44:38 pm »

OK thanks but how does it make it useless?
Care to explain just one step further.
You mean clicking the button for mirror lock up and twisting the ring ruins your shot some how?
Please do explain..
Did you ever use a Pentax 6X7 leafshutter lens before? About the same and I shot 1000's of NICE portraits with it.
So either I am missing something or you guys are completely spoiled...:+} JK
But really you mind explaining why it won't work for fashion shooters?
Thanks a lot
Snook

amsp

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 03:57:15 pm »

Well, fashion and portraits are two very different things. For fashion that is WAY too slow if you want to keep the mood going, you can't have the model waiting for you to fiddle with the lens on every shot. Not being able to see through the prism isn't exactly optimal either.

Snook

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 06:57:38 pm »

Thanks John an no offense taken..It is really hard to offend me..:+]
In any case I never said I loved cranking the Pentax but it did work. And there weren't many options. That is why I eventually bought  Mamiya ProtL but back in the day those Leafshutter lens were rather expensive for a young starving artist.
ESPECIALLY if you do people Jumping etc, it comes in handy the fast sync.
To many photographers rely on 10FPS of a Canon for Portrait...? No I do not thank so...
In any case it may be a little pain but if there are no other options than buying a 35,000 hassleblad and or the RZ which I find to big for other applications, what is One to do.
Plus if you direct your models correctly you may take a few shot's and have the portrait.
You think shooting 4x5 or 8x10 is Fast.
Some of the Best photographers I worked with shot 8x10 portraits and were no speed daemons!!!
The problem with DSLR is that every thinks there a photographer now a days becasue they fire off a million shots hoping for a couple of good ones, I even found my self getting a little lazy with the Canon even though I shoot full manual and always 100 asa...:+}
I will let you and every here know if it is a real pain. I am hoping it works period and I'll be a little happier... I have been sick of 250th of the CAnons for far too many years now , but had no real other option...
Thanks
Snook
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up