Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LLVJ16: California  (Read 6770 times)

larsrc

• http://
LLVJ16: California
« on: November 11, 2007, 03:50:02 pm »

I've been following LL since 2002, and really enjoyed the image critique section back then.  When the video journals started, I was worried that it wasn't a very good format for teaching photography.  Having now watched the Bangladesh series and LLVJ16's California section, I feel my worries have come true.  While the videos are pretty and professionally done, I don't learn much from them.  The Bangladesh series was somewhat ok, there was some discussion of how the photos came to be and what choices were made, but the California segment was almost totally content-free.  Most of it was pretty views or Michael fiddling with the camera (rarely even explaining what was going on, which would have been useful for MF/LF back users at least).

Having seen some of the LR tutorial and C2P series, I'll say the video format can be ok for studio work, but even then there's not nearly as much information per time unit as in a text.

What I would like to see more of in the LLVJ is how photo journeys are planned (how do you pick where and when to go), how the interesting spots in the area are found, and in particular why the photos are taken the way they are -- why that particular composition, angle, lens, f-stop, focus etc.  The hows (technical bits) are well described in many places, but the whys (composition, what makes a shot great) are the tough ones.  The image critique section did a wonderful job there, giving useful commentary, both positive and negative, in just a few sentences.

With thanks for many insights over the years,
-Lars
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 03:51:34 pm by larsrc »

Andy M

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 04:20:29 pm »

I personally very much enjoy the VJ's, but I think you raise a few excellent suggestions.

julian_love

• www.julianlove.com
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 07:28:10 am »

I agree with Lars on this one. I used to subscribe to the LLVJ up until about issue 11 or so, but stopped because I realised they just weren't that informative. You follow Michael around some beautiful locations and watch him take pictures - that's all. All the planning, what he is shooting and why, technical considerations etc are left unsaid. This would make them much more valuable if it was included. The interviews with other photogs were sometimes pretty interesting though.

Michael -if you're reading this, Lars suggestions are spot on. It would make the LLVJ so much more valuable.

Julian

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 04:51:19 am »

It depends.
When you want to LEARN from a DVD it's possible, we release several instructional DVDs BUT........
In the style the VJ is made I think it fits it's purpose.
I love to see how someone else works, how the final results are, I enjoy the interviews, the sites and the chit chat.

I'm not waiting for the same technical story over and over again because when I shoot I will do it different anyway, and after a while you know what aperture does.

I would like to go so far that when you are experienced enough you can learn just by looking at how someone works and comparing it to the end results.

When we make an instructional DVD it's always difficult to find the balance between viewer enjoyment and instruction, we release app one each year containing 60 minutes of instruction.
I could not even imaging releasing two or three or four with 2 hours, I would go mad.

For me the VJ's are great, just to see something about my hobby/profession, to see others work and enjoy the chitchat.

When you want instructional DVDs there are other sources.

Having said that
I would love to see more small segments with the views of other people on for example FF vs MFDB vs film etc.
I enjoyed the visits to for example Phase, but would love to see more of that in the future, try to visit Leaf, Sinar etc.

So in conclusion, keep on doing what you are doing and MAYBE add a little bit more but don't make it boring essays.

My field of expertise in modelphotography and that is different technique wise than landscaping, so making purely instructional DVDs on that and mixing viewing pleasure and instructionas are maybe a bit easier

dennysb

• http://www.dennysphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 05:06:15 pm »

Humm,

I subscribe to 2 type of photography magazines. Some are technical and about gear, processes and methods. Others are about the love, adventure and passion of photography. But rarely do I find a magazine that can do a great job at both.

I enjoy very much LLVJ16's because it inspired me to get out there and pursue my love for landscape and nature photography (lately I have done mostly fashion and portrait work). I too enjoyed the conversations with Bill Atkinson and his latest project within 'Within the Stone'

So it seems to me LLVJ16's was a enjoyable content mostly from the right-side-of-the-brain perspective.  

With that said, I am an engineer at heart so I love technical "how to" content. So I would welcome that, perhaps on a shorter separate format.

2 cents worth from a humble photographer.  
Dennys Bisogno
 [url=http://www.de

EBBS

• http://www.mattebbers.com
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 11:53:45 am »

I agree.  I like the casual laid back atmosphere of the LLVJ's.  Its like you are there with them.  In  the woods or in the studio.  We see the photos of the well known photographers in books, on the web and in prints.  I like to see how they went about making there photos.  I don't need to know all the nuts and bolts of what went into a shot.  I like to hear why the made the shot what they were feeling.  Why they do what they do, not how.  I find its very informative just to watch how others work.  As landscape photography can be somewhat of a solo endeavor its helpful to see others doing what you like to do.
Every day is a good day, just some are b

mmbrandt

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 11:22:04 pm »

I've been following LL since 2002, and really enjoyed the image critique section back then.  When the video journals started, I was worried that it wasn't a very good format for teaching photography.  Having now watched the Bangladesh series and LLVJ16's California section, I feel my worries have come true.  While the videos are pretty and professionally done, I don't learn much from them.  The Bangladesh series was somewhat ok, there was some discussion of how the photos came to be and what choices were made, but the California segment was almost totally content-free.  Most of it was pretty views or Michael fiddling with the camera (rarely even explaining what was going on, which would have been useful for MF/LF back users at least).

Having seen some of the LR tutorial and C2P series, I'll say the video format can be ok for studio work, but even then there's not nearly as much information per time unit as in a text.

What I would like to see more of in the LLVJ is how photo journeys are planned (how do you pick where and when to go), how the interesting spots in the area are found, and in particular why the photos are taken the way they are -- why that particular composition, angle, lens, f-stop, focus etc.  The hows (technical bits) are well described in many places, but the whys (composition, what makes a shot great) are the tough ones.  The image critique section did a wonderful job there, giving useful commentary, both positive and negative, in just a few sentences.

With thanks for many insights over the years,
-Lars
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up