Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad SWC 903 + MFDB  (Read 16932 times)

Henry Goh

Hasselblad SWC 903 + MFDB
« on: November 11, 2007, 09:39:46 am »

Has anyone shot a combination of Hasselblad SWC 903 with a digital back?  What kind of results have you gotten?  Do you have a sample image to share?  Any issues of CA or usability?

Thanks for any info.

adammork

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 01:59:31 pm »

Has anyone shot a combination of Hasselblad SWC 903 with a digital back?  What kind of results have you gotten?  Do you have a sample image to share?  Any issues of CA or usability?

Thanks for any info.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151917\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Henry

I think you asked more or less the same question in August, Here is my answer from then:

"I had, with an Aptus 75.

The sharpness will be better than on film, it actually performed better than I aspect, hence the old lens design, but CA can appear in the corners.

A Schneider Apo-Digitar 35xl on an Alpa TC will outperform the SWC with a clear margin in terms of sharpness and lack of CA, at least on the big backs.

If you already have a 903 then give it a try - but if you are in the market for one, then take a look at the Alpa TC with a 35mm also, not that expensive when compared to a new SWC.

I actually sold my SWC 3 weeks a go so I could get an Alpa SWA to accompany my XY and TC.

Very best,
Adam"

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 03:51:59 pm »

Yes, I use a 903SWC, first with a P25 and now with a P45+. Couple of points,

1. As a hand held carry around camera it's scale focused, so unless you're shooting at infinity quality will always be compromised to some extent by lack of focusing accuracy. That said, used with the P45+ and cropped accordingly, it's probably as close as I'll get with digital to one of my favourite film cameras of all time, the X-Pan!

2. The cabling feels a bit primitive, but it works okay.

3. You can get surprisingly accurate framing for a 37mm x 49mm sensor from the standard 903 SWC/M viewfinder.

4. I sometimes use mine for interior architectural shots because of the Biogon's virtually zero distortion, but for this application I always the ground glass back for precise framing and focusing.

5. The 38mm Biogon always suffered from quite marked vignetting, for some reason this seems more obvious with a digital back than it did with film.

6. If you're getting a 903 then avoid the very latest 905, Zeiss were forced to reformulate the optics when a certain glass type was discontinued, and the results are inferior to the original 903. Also avoid any models with the spirit level built into the body. The very early ones aren't coated, and the later ones with the spirit level in the body can suffer from a problem where the shutter bends slightly and brushes against the glass caused micro scuffing. Actually the 903 from the very last year where the spirit level is in the body was probably the finest 903 ever made, but to keep it simple just look for any 903 where the spirit level is in the viewfinder rather than on the body!

MARK WALLACK

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 08:26:16 pm »

Gary,

I use the 903SWC with the Hass. CFV back.

If you were  printing aprox 14 " square images would  you see much  differenece between the 25 & 45+ backs.   Just curious

Thanks,
Mark

Gary Ferguson

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 08:59:52 am »

Mark, in my opinion you wouldn't see much difference at 14" x 14". Maybe I'm in the minority on this forum in my view that for all practical purposes image quality differences are rapidly disapearing, but I'm convinced that when it comes to the final print (as opposed to the image on a monitor) the differences really are minimal.

Let me give you an example. I shoot with a Leica M8, Canon 5D and 1Ds MkII, and a Phase One P45+. I'm upgrading to the 1Ds MkIII and I used to use a Phase One P25. For an A4 inkjet print I don't believe there's any difference at all between all these cameras.

For an A3 inkjet print, or for a commercial four colour double page spread, there may be some tiny differences, but they are so vanishingly small as to be swamped by the practical realities of real life photography such as focusing errors or camera shake.

For an A2 inkjet print, or for poster size commercial reproduction, yes there are small differences, but only with your nose pressed to the print. However, you have to ask yourself if this is what photography is all about for you?

So why do I keep upgrading? Well, I'm lucky in that I can afford to and there's non-IQ benefits with newer equipment. But from a purely IQ perspective I think we're at that happy juncture where we can forget about equipment and concentrate on picture making!

alexjones

• http://www.alexrjones.com
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 12:32:46 pm »

I use a 903 with an Imacon 132c and have fantastic results.  The lens is sharp to the corners and no noticable aberations.  All around a great combination.  Send me an email and I can post an image for you to look at.  As for the viewfinder the square crops in the viewfinder nearly match the width or height of the frame depending on which way the back is turned.  For final framing I sometimes use the live view.

http://alexrjones.com/alexrjones/contact.html

Alex Jones, Pittsburgh Digital Tech and Assistant

MARK WALLACK

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 01:33:19 pm »

Gary,
Many thanks for the reply it was very helpful.  My 14X14 prints look pretty good from my 903SWC and CFV.  I can afford to move up but if the there is no viewable difference in quality why spend good money after GOOD. ?

Thanks again.
Mark

RobAnderson

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:34:04 am »

WTB Hasselblad Super Wide C (SWC) 903.  Any age or cosmetic condition if function is excellent.
Reply to Rob Anderson New York City videoclip AT inbox DOT com.

Henry Goh

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 09:45:28 am »

WTB Hasselblad Super Wide C (SWC) 903.  Any age or cosmetic condition if function is excellent.
Reply to Rob Anderson New York City videoclip AT inbox DOT com.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've decided not to hold on to my Hasselblads and buy a MFDB.  I'll be considering the 1Ds MK III instead so mine is available.

[a href=\"http://rodex.com/images/swc903]Pictures of the camera and viewfinder here[/url]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 06:13:00 pm by Henry Goh »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 07:19:56 am »

I've decided not to hold on to my Hasselblads and buy a MFDB.  I'll be considering the 1Ds MK III instead so mine is available.

Pictures of the camera and viewfinder here
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168780\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now, that's a professional job of showcasing teh camera - maybe you should donate that slideshow to a Hassy fan site.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Khun_K

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 07:44:00 am »

Now, that's a professional job of showcasing teh camera - maybe you should donate that slideshow to a Hassy fan site.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169203\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My experience with the lens, not particular on the SWC which I owned once but sold it and later on bought the Alpa WA12/TC and the interchangeable 38mm Biogon lens, which is almost the same lens. Previously with P25 and now with P45 or P45+, I think the lens holds itself well even with the latest digital back but it is clearly visible it is not as sharp as the newer digital lens. With that being said, the 38mm Biogon still produce very nice image with a character of itself, not the clarity look of the Digitar but more or less closer to the painting.  
With today's extremely high resolution back, closer focus without using the ground glass is very difficult to get best sharp image, as I assumed the same with 903/905. But for general landscape or architecture subject, it is a very appealing and useful setup.  The cost of 903/905 is so much less to compare to the Alpa/Biogon, I would say it is a very good bargain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up