Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D40 Monitor Question  (Read 5755 times)

Brian Patterson

• http://www.brianrpatterson.com
D40 Monitor Question
« on: November 10, 2007, 10:54:59 pm »

The LCD monitor on the D40 comes on every time I take my finger off the shutter release during metering and composing. I'd like to set it so it doesn't come on at all unless I press the "i" button. The Timeout settings don't allow for that - anybody got a solution to this?

The glare from the lit-up LCD is aggravating while you hold the camera up to your eye - I want manual control of the monitor feature if it's possible.

Brian
[span style='color:#993300']Brian Pat

grepmat

D40 Monitor Question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 02:55:46 pm »

Go to the custom settings menu, select Image Review (07) and turn it off.

If you don't see the above menu selection, you are on "simple" menu mode. In the Setup menu, go to CSM/Setup and select Full.

It's worth it to read your manual, and to sort through the custom functions, as you can tune the camera to your liking.

brianrpatterson

D40 Monitor Question
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:33:35 pm »

Go to the custom settings menu, select Image Review (07) and turn it off.

If you don't see the above menu selection, you are on "simple" menu mode. In the Setup menu, go to CSM/Setup and select Full.

It's worth it to read your manual, and to sort through the custom functions, as you can tune the camera to your liking.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151973\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's also worth it to read the post!

I didn't ask about Image Review - I am interested in turning off the Info screen that appears when the camera is running and only turns off when you press the shutter release to compose and meter. All I have found to control this feature is the Timer Off settings - but no Off selection.

I have scoured the manual (naturally) and find no 'switch' to disable this function. BTW, I turned off the Image Review out of curiosity and it had no effect on the monitor screen. Wanna try again?

Brian
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:43:21 pm by brianrpatterson »
Brian Patterson[/color

DarkPenguin

D40 Monitor Question
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 02:43:01 pm »

Perhaps the option you are looking for doesn't exist?

You might try buying Thom Hogan's D40 Guide ...

http://www.bythom.com/d40guide.htm

brianrpatterson

D40 Monitor Question
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 03:26:24 pm »

I've already sorted this out... it can't be done. We are talking about an amateur camera, after all, and it's the one and only feature I dislike about this remarkable body design.

Interestingly, the D300 borrows some of the D40's mindset in the use of its rear panel LCD interface - a subtle but very intelligent addition to the top LCD approach.

Perhaps I should write to Nikon and request a firmware change to add an on/off selection to the D40 monitor interface...

Brian Patterson
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 03:27:09 pm by brianrpatterson »
Brian Patterson[/color

BobH

D40 Monitor Question
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 05:44:07 pm »

The LCD monitor on the D40 comes on every time I take my finger off the shutter release during metering and composing. I'd like to set it so it doesn't come on at all unless I press the "i" button. The Timeout settings don't allow for that - anybody got a solution to this?

The glare from the lit-up LCD is aggravating while you hold the camera up to your eye - I want manual control of the monitor feature if it's possible.

Brian
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151852\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Brian,

What is the display showing? My 40D remains black during composition, shooting, etc unless I press the Info button deliberately. Another press of the Info button turns off the display. I have the Info button set to display camera settings ( feature I like on the XTi).

If you can provide some additional information, I may be able to get my 40D to duplicate your problem.

I am running bios 1.05 although the previous (1.03) had the same characteristics.

Bob

Richowens

D40 Monitor Question
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 09:28:37 pm »

Bob,

Brian was asking the question about a Nikon D40, not a Canon 40D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up