Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The 3-D Effect  (Read 12828 times)

amsp

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 02:36:04 pm »

I think this is a silly-kind post that should be avoided in this forum. You obviously don't know what you're talking about, and for sure don't use medium format. The proof is your lack of arguments for this debate. I'm sorry to be rude but there's someone here who's getting tired of seeing this forum convert into an endless fight between members.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151776\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hahaha.. whatever you say samuel. I guess my P25 is a figment of my imagination  Besides, who's fighting? Besides you I mean  

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
The 3-D Effect
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 02:37:31 pm »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
The 3-D Effect
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007, 02:39:05 pm »

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that the point of f/1.4 is not to get razor sharpness, it's to get the particular "feel" of extremely short DoF. JMHO
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeaaaah ok, buddy.

samuel_js

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007, 02:44:02 pm »

Hahaha.. whatever you say samuel. I guess my P25 is a figment of my imagination  Besides, who's fighting? Besides you I mean 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151777\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Be kind and post some sample from your p25 at 2.8 and your 50mm at 2.8 of the same subject. Then we can start the debate about these paintings and "3D look". And keep the metadata so we can see it.  

amsp

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 02:51:10 pm »

Be kind and post some sample from your p25 at 2.8 and your 50mm at 2.8 of the same subject. Then we can start the debate about these paintings and "3D look". And keep the metadata so we can see it. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151784\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're funny    Like I said already in this thread I have no need to prove myself, or my P25 for that matter. If you think I for some reason would lie about having a P25 (???), you are most welcome to do so. Knock yourself out   As for the whole posting samples of the two cams at the same aperture.. huh?.. what's your point?

samuel_js

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 02:58:45 pm »

You're funny    Like I said already in this thread I have no need to prove myself, or my P25 for that matter. If you think I for some reason would lie about having a P25 (???), you are most welcome to do so. Knock yourself out   As for the whole posting samples of the two cams at the same aperture.. huh?.. what's your point?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151786\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe there's a reason why people is asking you to prove yourself. Usually those saying they don't need are those who can't prove themselves.
Have a nice weekend...

jonstewart

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 03:03:19 pm »

Well, as Foto-z already mentioned, it's all 2-D whether photo or painting or photo of painting (actually drawing rather than an oil painting which often does have a slight physical 3-dimensionality). It could be that something of that 3-D impression has been lost in the reproduction using a small sensor camera or perhaps a loss due to a less than ideal photoshop processing on a poorly calibrated laptop, which I've got no control over in my present circumstances.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151762\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nope, not implying you didn't do a great job photographing them, but if you and Foto-Z are right, why do people go to galleries to look at original paintings...why not just look at the photo?  
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Gary Yeowell

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 03:06:30 pm »

This post really is pointless!

Ray

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 03:11:31 pm »

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that the point of f/1.4 is not to get razor sharpness, it's to get the particular "feel" of extremely short DoF. JMHO
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Amsp,
DoF is related to the difference in perceived sharpness between what's in focus and what's not in focus. If what's supposed to be in focus is not sharp, then DoF is less shallow than it otherwise would be. This quality of razor sharpness at the point of focus is, I believe, also related to the enhanced 3-D effect. A 50/1.4 that is razor sharp at f1.4 would contribute to an enhanced 3-D effect. One that's not sharp at f1.4 is like using a low quality telephoto lens at f5.6, from a greater distance of course.

amsp

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 03:13:27 pm »

Maybe there's a reason why people is asking you to prove yourself. Usually those saying they don't need are those who can't prove themselves.
Have a nice weekend...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151787\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or, maybe someone who actually shoots for international fashion magazines and have worked with clients that are on the top 5 most recognized brands worldwide just doesn't really feel the need to satisfy your curiosity. Maybe you could see how I would value my anonymity more? or not.. whatever makes you feel good. Don't take it so seriously samuel, I'm not. And have a nice weekend yourself!

cheers

amsp

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2007, 03:15:46 pm »

Amsp,
DoF is related to the difference in perceived sharpness between what's in focus and what's not in focus. If what's supposed to be in focus is not sharp, then DoF is less shallow than it otherwise would be. This quality of razor sharpness at the point of focus is, I believe, also related to the enhanced 3-D effect. A 50/1.4 that is razor sharp at f1.4 would contribute to an enhanced 3-D effect. One that's not sharp at f1.4 is like using a low quality telephoto lens at f5.6, from a greater distance of course.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151791\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ok

Ray

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2007, 03:17:56 pm »

This post really is pointless!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151790\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The point is to examine and discuss what qualities and attributes in a photo might enhance the perceived illusion of 3-dimensionality and whether or not ultimately the photograph is disadvantaged in this respect due to a lack of the precise control that a painter with a brush might be able to apply. Okay?

amsp

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007, 03:24:53 pm »

The point is to examine and discuss what qualities and attributes in a photo might enhance the perceived illusion of 3-dimensionality and whether or not ultimately the photograph is disadvantaged in this respect due to a lack of the precise control that a painter with a brush might be able to apply. Okay?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151796\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I don't see this post as being pointless either. And my take on this is that the RAW developer + photoshop is the photographer's brush. And in the hands of a skilled person they are at least as effective

Ray

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2007, 03:31:22 pm »

Ever went to a museum? Try to go and see some Rembrandt paintings. Might be a serious resetting of your references.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151798\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've seen Rembrandt painting of course. But I never confused them with photographs.

I think perhaps you've missed the point here. These are drawings that in a sense are more photographic than photos and to my mind have a greater 3-dimensionality than I've ever seen in a photo.

There's a photographic style of painting which attempts to imitate the fine detail of the photograph and I've seen many examples in the galleries. I've never seen anything quite like these examples I've shown. Have you?

samuel_js

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2007, 03:31:27 pm »

Or, maybe someone who actually shoots for international fashion magazines and have worked with clients that are on the top 5 most recognized brands worldwide just doesn't really feel the need to satisfy your curiosity. Maybe you could see how I would value my anonymity more? or not.. whatever makes you feel good. Don't take it so seriously samuel, I'm not. And have a nice weekend yourself!

cheers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151793\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You see, I' not curious about you really, but you're proving yourself now. Just to finish, post some sites so we can see your work.

amsp

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2007, 03:44:45 pm »

You see, I' not curious about you really, but you're proving yourself now. Just to finish, post some sites so we can see your work.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151802\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hahaha.. you're a regular curious george aren't you?  Seriously though samuel, I hope you are laughing too when you write these things, because life is way too short to actually care about forum discussions like these. Again, I hope you have a great weekend

Ray

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2007, 12:38:30 am »

Nope, not implying you didn't do a great job photographing them, but if you and Foto-Z are right, why do people go to galleries to look at original paintings...why not just look at the photo? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's a good question. Why do people often prefer the original to a copy? If the copy is indistinguishable from the original, why would some people still prefer the original? Is it just the money factor? If a lady wears a diamond necklace which is a good copy of the real necklace which is kept in the safe, and if the copy is so good that no-one but a jewelery expert with magnifying glass can tell the difference, would the lady feel or notice any change if she accidentally wore the real necklace thinking that she was wearing the copy?

In practice, most copies are not exact and that certainly includes photographs of oil paintings which lack the physical 3-dimensional texture of the canvas and the thickness of the paint.

There is also the uncertainty factor. If you believe a work of art is a copy, how can you be sure it's a faithful and accurate copy like the fake diamond necklace which is indistinguishable from the real necklace? How can you be sure that some subtle quality, perhaps barely noticeable in the original, has been faithfully reproduced?

However, these charcoal drawings I've photographed are probably much easier to accurately reproduce. They are on a type of art paper which could easily be used in an inkjet printer. They are essentially 2-D apart from the thickness of the paper and the micron thick layer of charcoal, both of which qualities can be emulated by the ink and paper from an inkjet printer.

jing q

• we are super
The 3-D Effect
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2007, 02:54:57 am »

I hope we're not saying that DOF creates the sense of 3-dimensionality
I used to look at alot of photorealists paintings (done in a very hyperreal manner) that had everything in sharp focus and looked incredibly dimensional to me

I never shoot with shallow depth of field anyway...I still can get 3-dimensional images.

TechTalk

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2007, 02:43:10 pm »

I hope we're not saying that DOF creates the sense of 3-dimensionality
I used to look at alot of photorealists paintings (done in a very hyperreal manner) that had everything in sharp focus and looked incredibly dimensional to me

I never shoot with shallow depth of field anyway...I still can get 3-dimensional images.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151880\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree completely. 3-dimensionality and depth of field are unrelated.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Ray

The 3-D Effect
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2007, 11:04:11 pm »

I agree completely. 3-dimensionality and depth of field are unrelated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151972\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How can that be? As I mentioned before, the two most obvious clues that tell the brain it is perceiving a 3-dimensional image when in reality the image is 2-dimensional are (1) distant objects are smaller than near objects, (2) objects that are partially obscured by other objects can only be obscured by objects that are closer. Those are basic concepts we begin to learn as babies.

There is some story I recall related by Michael R, about a remote tribe of natives who had spent all their lives in dense jungle and who had never seen anything further away than a few metres. When they were led out of the jungle by some anthropologist who was studying their culture, and saw for the first time a vast open vista, a plain below the cliff's edge stretching for miles, and what appeared to be in the distance grazing cattle, these natives assumed that the cattle were ants because they were so small. It was difficult to convince them that these tiny creatures were actually huge wildebeeste, presumably because that would have introduced an entirely new concept to their hard-wired brains, namely that there existed vast areas without trees stretching for great distances.

In this sense, great (or extensive) DoF is required for a good 3-D effect. If you can't recognise to some degree those small objects that denote distance, because they are out of focus, then it's difficult to understand how one could get an impression of great 3-dimensionality.

On the other hand, as photographers, we know that those things in that 2-dimensional image that are out of focus are out of focus precisely because they are at a greater or lesser distance than what's in focus.

In the other thread where some photographers posted examples of MFDB images that exhibited, in their opinion, a heightened sense of 3-dimensionality, I recall most of those images had a fairly shallow DoF. For example, a model sitting in the middle of a road with the foregrounf and background clearly OoF, or a close-up of a face with the eyeball and eye lashes razor sharp but the cheek surrounding the eye slightly OoF.

I would suggest what's happening here is, we know from experience that the distance between an eye and the surrounding cheek is very small, in fact so small that it could be in the same plane depending on the angle of the shot. But we also know that areas that are OoF must be at a different distance. If the surrounding skin were as sharp as the eyeball, it would not be so clear as to whether or not that area of skin was in the same plane as the eyeball. The fact that the surrounding skin is OoF gives the brain the clues it needs for a heightened sense of 3-D.

In the 2 photos of the charcoal drawings in the beginning of this thread, the hands in the foreground are noticeably OoF as well as the back of the head and parts of the clothing, although these differences between what's in focus and what's not in focus have been diminished as a result of downsizing and jpeg compression, which is why these photographic reproductions do not have quite the same feel of heightened 3-D as the original drawings.

You must all be familiar with the phenomenon of a large print that has a discernible shallowness of DoF ceasing to have that same shallowness when reduced to postcard size.

If we get back to this concept of the primitive native who has never witnessed large distances, we might speculate that a similarly remote tribe who was not familiar with the photograph, would not appreciate any heightened sense of 3-D from images with OoF foregrounds and backgrounds.

Hope this is now as clear to you as it is to me   .
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up