Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another tripod/head question  (Read 3781 times)

sojournerphoto

Another tripod/head question
« on: November 10, 2007, 07:04:51 am »

Well, I've gained permission to buy a new tripod and head as my 30 year old slik is certainly not stable with my 5D... At present my thoughts are with the Gitzo 3540LSV and Markins M20 head. Alternatives would be a 2530 or 2540LVL and possibly an accratech head. I would also consider other ehads, but haven't found a UK supplier yet.

Can anyone comment on my first option and what other suggestions would bring in terms of ease of use and stability. Bearing in mind that at some point I will likely add another body to the kit (1Ds3 or notional 5D2 is calling) and I use lenses up to about 300mm at present.

Thanks

Mike

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 10:13:33 am »

Really right stuff?

I like Kirk but if I was going to buy a 1Ds3 I'd put it on a RRS BH-55.

francois

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 11:38:27 am »

Really right stuff?

I like Kirk but if I was going to buy a 1Ds3 I'd put it on a RRS BH-55.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151713\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I second this suggestion. I've been very happy with my BH-55. I used it under some really bad weather and it performs as well as when I received it. I also have an AcraTech UBH but I don't find it very comfortable to use. I keep it as a lightweight ballhead, when I'm shooting and have to hike for hours and as a backup BH. I can't really comment on the M20…

You should also consider Arca-Swiss ballheads. They are made in France and might be easier to find in UK.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 11:40:05 am by francois »
Francois

sojournerphoto

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 09:21:58 am »

I second this suggestion. I've been very happy with my BH-55. I used it under some really bad weather and it performs as well as when I received it. I also have an AcraTech UBH but I don't find it very comfortable to use. I keep it as a lightweight ballhead, when I'm shooting and have to hike for hours and as a backup BH. I can't really comment on the M20…

You should also consider Arca-Swiss ballheads. They are made in France and might be easier to find in UK.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151734\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info.

My GT3530 has just arrived and is 'really very nice' - I was concerned about the height, but actually I think it will be fine with the head on. I've ordered a Markins M20 head and Kirk L-plate - really because of UK supply - hopefully they will work well.

However, I did find the RRS website and their pano gear looks excellent. Suitably sturdy and reliable... certainly much better than anything I've seen locally.

Thanks again

Mike

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 10:08:35 am »

However, I did find the RRS website and their pano gear looks excellent. Suitably sturdy and reliable... certainly much better than anything I've seen locally.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been using the RRS Pano gear for about two years now. It is very sturdy and durable.  It is also heavy and potentially destructive to the other gear in your bag if you don't have it padded appropriately.

Are you planning for the full spherical head or just a basic cylindrical setup? A light and basic cylindrical setup can be made with an L-Bracket, panning clamp, and nodal slide.  I think they call that the Pano Elements Package.  It can be used for single-row panos with the camera in portrait orientation.  It is a nice place to start and can be upgraded with additional parts to a full spherical setup, what they call the Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot Package.

I love RRS gear.  I have spent more on my pano head gear than on my legs.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 10:11:40 am by fike »
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

sojournerphoto

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 06:54:07 am »

I have been using the RRS Pano gear for about two years now. It is very sturdy and durable.  It is also heavy and potentially destructive to the other gear in your bag if you don't have it padded appropriately.

Are you planning for the full spherical head or just a basic cylindrical setup? A light and basic cylindrical setup can be made with an L-Bracket, panning clamp, and nodal slide.  I think they call that the Pano Elements Package.  It can be used for single-row panos with the camera in portrait orientation.  It is a nice place to start and can be upgraded with additional parts to a full spherical setup, what they call the Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot Package.

I love RRS gear.  I have spent more on my pano head gear than on my legs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like the idea of the full sperical set up, though my current usage would probably only cover 2 or 3 row stitches. The other concern I had with the cylindrical setup is the need to put the horizon in the middle of the frame- if I use the head to level the base - though that may not be too much of an issue.

Have you any thoughts on this

Cheers

Mike

sojournerphoto

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 10:06:00 am »

My Markins M20 arrived this morning and I put everything together. The head is a bit smaller than I expected (which is good!) and the whole kit feels really solid with the camera mounted on it. Basically body, head and legs seem to be 'all of a piece'. I'm already looking froward to getting out and using it at the weekend.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up