Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 Firmware Update Problem  (Read 4317 times)

Roscolo

z3100 Firmware Update Problem
« on: November 08, 2007, 10:03:32 pm »

Just tried to do the Firmware Update. Windows XP SP2 connected via Ethernet.

Started the Firmware Update process from the embedded web server. Said checking. I left it for awhile. When I came back the front panel on the printer said "X Restart the Printer. If the problem persists call tech support."

So I restarted the printer with the power switch. Tried several times. Each time I just get "0%", no HP logo, no progression, nothing. In the past I have tried unplugging and then restarting. That hasn't worked so far, but sometimes it seems it needs to stay unplugged for awhile.

Anyone else had this problem? Ideas?

casterle

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:22:29 pm »

Just tried to do the Firmware Update. Windows XP SP2 connected via Ethernet.

Started the Firmware Update process from the embedded web server. Said checking. I left it for awhile. When I came back the front panel on the printer said "X Restart the Printer. If the problem persists call tech support."

So I restarted the printer with the power switch. Tried several times. Each time I just get "0%", no HP logo, no progression, nothing. In the past I have tried unplugging and then restarting. That hasn't worked so far, but sometimes it seems it needs to stay unplugged for awhile.

Anyone else had this problem? Ideas?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151435\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I wish I had a suggestion for you other than calling HP support. Are you sure you loaded the right firmware (PS and non-PS printers take different versions)?

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:34:11 pm »

Thanks. I believe I have the right file. I have the regular z3100 44" (no APS). The firmware file is:

TR12-TR_06_00_00-8_mvl31-x86-opt_B.fmw

Maybe it's just my printer, but if I just turn it off and then turn it back on it almost never just starts up, for example, it there was a power outage. It has almost always taken a few tries, and I almost always have to leave it off for awhile before turning it back on if it is going to start up successfully.

EDIT UPDATE: Well, it started up. Anyone else's z do this? Seems if I shut it down, it takes a few tries turning off, then on, before it will start up - and I always wait. Sometimes it stays at 0%, sometimes it will freeze around 24% or 82%, then I get an error message and restart. Maybe new firmware will help out.

EDIT UPDATE 2: Now I check the firmware version from the front panel of the printer and it says:
Firmware: TR12-TR_6.0.0.8

That's the new firmware. So, given the circumstances described above, do you think the Firmware Update went OK after all?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:54:38 pm by Roscolo »

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:00:58 pm »

Its worth testing at this point.  Go ahead and load the driver and printer utility and see if everything cooks.
Regards,
Ron

Roscolo

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 11:03:48 pm »

Hey, thanks. I realized I had Comodo Firewall on and my Avast Antivirus - that can't be good. So I tried again and it's looking better. Now I see those extra large numbers on the front panel.

EDIT UPDATE: Yep, that was probably it. Printer restarted after firmware update - success. All's well that ends well.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 11:18:23 pm by Roscolo »

Bondi_dan

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 05:24:11 am »

I had this issues with a Z3100 44" Photo.

As described previously it gets to 0% and then the screen goes blank.

Took the advice and rebooted a few times and removed the power cord. Still the same result.

I did load the 24" firmware by accident and I thought that might have screwed things up.

When I finally gave up and started to ring HP Support I was pressing the buttons on my phone and walked back to the printer.

Success, walking away and giving it a lot of time seems to be the answer.

There were BIG % numbers which eventually got to 100%.

Rebooted and all is good.

Thanks for this forum and the great contributions.

Regards,

Dan Wilson

laughingbear

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 06:57:40 am »

just a quick question, I'll have the same printer hopefully in June... do you need to be online to update the printer, or can you download the file, then disable FW and AV and proceed with the update?

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 08:07:25 am »

just a quick question, I'll have the same printer hopefully in June... do you need to be online to update the printer, or can you download the file, then disable FW and AV and proceed with the update?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194342\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

After you've got the files on your PC there's no further need to be connected to the internet.  Install from your PC.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up