Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645AF WA-lens for interiors?  (Read 11558 times)

amsp

Mamiya 645AF WA-lens for interiors?
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:49:36 pm »

I'm looking to get a wide lens for interiors and architecture and I'm not sure which one would be the best choice, the 35mm, 45mm, or 55mm? I'm using a P25, so the crop factor is 1.1.

Grateful for any input, thanks.

amsp

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:35:48 pm »

Thanks, I sent you a PM.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 09:30:49 pm »

I have the 28 mm and love it - much sharper than the 35 mm. I am primarily a landscape/wildlife shooter, not an indoor type. However, I did test this lens around my own house and find it pretty rectilinear with no barrel or pincushion distortion of note.

In fact I'll probably not use the 35 mm much in future - on P45+ back I can use the 28 mm and then crop; obviously not ideal, but weight is an issue when hiking/traveling and I shall try to avoid carrying both.

It IS a big investment but it is arguably Mamiya's sharpest lens - the new 75-150 is the other contender.

Bill

I'm looking to get a wide lens for interiors and architecture and I'm not sure which one would be the best choice, the 35mm, 45mm, or 55mm? I'm using a P25, so the crop factor is 1.1.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151396\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 09:32:52 pm »

I'll second the choice of the 28mm.  I use it almost exclusively on my interiors.  It is incredibly sharp and as mentioned in the previous post, exhibits very little barrel distortion.  I used to use my 24mm and correct in Image Align or my 35mm, which also has a lot of barrel distortion.  Now the 28 has replaced both lenses.  I'll try to attach an example.  Jim  [attachment=3763:attachment][attachment=3764:attachment]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 09:41:54 pm by haefnerphoto »

ternst

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:52:30 pm »

Bill:

Do you miss not being able to use a polarizer with this lens (not for photos with sky obviously since it would be too wide anyway, but rather for use on misty and other days in a deep forest where a polarizer helps a lot)? I use a polarizer quite a bit for wilderness work and wondered if I could live without it with this lens...

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
www.Cloudland.net

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 09:57:48 pm »

I have the 35mm. With film back. Good WA for interior. You need at least that. But to me it's a little bit too wide. It's a 22mm in 35mm format (with film back but perfect with a DB).
Then 45mm (30mm in 35mm format with your crop) or 55 (37mm in 35mm format with your crop)
For my taste I would go with the 45mm it's close to the Pentax 75mm in 6x7.
But I don't know the lens yet.
Again just my taste. Actually a 50mm would be really perfect to me.
The 28mm could be good but I think it would give a kind of "pot luck" image for interior. Again to my taste. For landscape I would have no pb.
 my 2c.

update : looking at haefnerphoto sample the 28 looks really good in term of sharpeness but it wouldn't fit my need in 90% of my frames... Though haefner I think you have a good control of that lens. On the living/kitchen shot, on the left on the column is a good example of where you can mess up with the line and proportion. but again really good control.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:04:55 pm by david olivier »

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:02:26 pm »

Tim, no, I really haven't missed a polarizer. As you say, the sky is not an issue. I have been using the lens for Fall colors where admittedly one would be useful, but I'm usually doing "intimate" landscapes and boost the saturation/punch in LR. Not the same, of course - but pretty close.
Bill

Bill:

Do you miss not being able to use a polarizer with this lens (not for photos with sky obviously since it would be too wide anyway, but rather for use on misty and other days in a deep forest where a polarizer helps a lot)? I use a polarizer quite a bit for wilderness work and wondered if I could live without it with this lens...

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
www.Cloudland.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151431\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 02:56:00 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151396\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No one has mentioned the 55 shift manual lens

I havnet tried it but that would def be on my list if I used mamiya

I would want also the 35 or 28 dependant  on my budget

also arent there some russian shift lenses to consider ?

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

amsp

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 07:07:06 am »

I'm afraid the 28 is not within my budget, and as much as a tilt/shift lens would be nice the russian "super rotator" just doesn't seem to deliver the quality needed for commercial work. Thanks for the thoughts so far.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 08:27:37 am »

I'm afraid the 28 is not within my budget, and as much as a tilt/shift lens would be nice the russian "super rotator" just doesn't seem to deliver the quality needed for commercial work. Thanks for the thoughts so far.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151481\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is also a mamiya manual lens

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 08:53:25 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151481\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
mamiya does make a shift lens for the 645 manual cameras which can be used on the afd/afd2. the mamiya shift lens is actually 50mm not 55mm. the lens can be found in great condition in the $600-700 range.  you might try keh and/or adorama if you are interested in one.

jonstewart

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 05:48:53 pm »

mamiya does make a shift lens for the 645 manual cameras which can be used on the afd/afd2. the mamiya shift lens is actually 50mm not 55mm. the lens can be found in great condition in the $600-700 range.  you might try keh and/or adorama if you are interested in one.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151489\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have it, and am not stunned by it. It's slightly better than the Hartblei, not as soft when shifted, as far as I can see, but I'm trying to decide between the 28mm lens, and whether there would be some advantage in the longer term to something like a Silvestri / Schneider 24XL, which would just require the adaptor plate for the P45 back I have (or indeed any P back). The cost of the 28mm lens makes this alternative financially possible, and might give better movement.

If anybody has insights on that idea, please share.

My other thought is that neither the Hartblei or the Mamiya Shift 50 has as much movement as is desirable at that focal length, especially for interior work.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:15:12 pm by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

pixjohn

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 05:55:36 pm »

Personally go for the 24xl, Its a great sharp lens.

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 10:30:03 pm »

you guys probably have huge homes over there, over here in asia, you'll need wider lenses, it is not uncommon to see shots with the 12-24 sigma being plastered over the magazines.

jonstewart

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 06:05:03 am »

you guys probably have huge homes over there, over here in asia, you'll need wider lenses, it is not uncommon to see shots with the 12-24 sigma being plastered over the magazines.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151645\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the problem here in Northern Ireland as well. Many of the houses I would shoot (for example, staircases) in are very small compared with a lot of what I have seen from the very good shooters in the US. Yes, there are bigger houses here, but much of the time space is very restricted, hence the need for a very wide lens and a reasonable amount of movement. This is why I'm thinking of the Silvestri, or similar solution (sorry, that's a bit OT)

I have the Mamiya 35, and it's wide, but requires correction! (I have the 24 Fisheye as well, and if you're going to have to do correction, I wonder might it correct better using software than the 35? (Sorry, I don't yet know enough of the fine detail about these lenses to give an opinion on that - no time atm!))
Jon Stewart

amsp

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 08:27:28 am »

Is there a cost-effective option for a large format solution with full movements? The Silvestri are really expensive if I'm not mistaken?

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 09:14:20 am »

I'm currently using an aptus with the 69 arca swiss and the 35mm digitar.

cheers

amsp

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 11:37:38 am »

What kind of money are we talking for that setup?

jonstewart

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 11:51:45 am »

Is there a cost-effective option for a large format solution with full movements? The Silvestri are really expensive if I'm not mistaken?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151700\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I suspect the Silvestri is one of the cheaper solutions... hope I'm wrong.
Jon Stewart

amsp

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 12:17:11 pm »

Silvestri is hardly cheap, we are talking something like at least 5000 euro for a complete kit w. lens.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up