Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: It's Shipping: RWCR CS3  (Read 26328 times)

papa v2.0

It's Shipping: RWCR CS3
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 08:38:03 pm »

Schewe
hello

what are you thoughts on DC RAW
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:38:28 pm by papa v2.0 »

KeithR

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 11:04:44 pm »

Jeff, if the book is "shipping" it damn-well ain't shipping from Amazon.com, the place from which *most of the world* orders their books - I have a new delivery estimate of late December-early January. Another poster here just mentioned the same thing. "Sumting ain't right."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152865\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also got a note from Amazon that they expect to ship the second half of December! That came two days after they sent a message that I would receive it the 15th of November!
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 11:41:28 pm »

but really Jeff, one wonders specifically what's going on - whether Amamzon ordered enough copies, whether Peachpit shipped them all, whether there are transport delays, whether the problem is Amazon receiving and cataloguing their inventory for release, etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152906\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It ain't just Peachpit...there were similar problems with O'Reilly's Photoshop Lightroom Adventure...it's all an Amazon problem and an automated system that once enabled, takes over....the problem is that if the data entry is faulty (as it was with the REAL ship date of RWCR CS3-Peachpit ALWAYS said "Fall 2007") everything else happens with no human intervention including the sending of bogus emails...and it ain't only Peachpit that is clamoring for Amazon to get their act together...

Course, once it actually ships, people tend to forget about the initial problems..but not me. I don't get mad, I get even.

Schewe

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 11:44:05 pm »

what are you thoughts on DC RAW
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152914\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have no thoughts on dcRAW...other than Dave Coffin has done the industry a service but I have no need for a conversion tool that results in linear files.

Jeff Kott

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 01:56:55 am »

OK, if it is an Amazon problem, can anybody recommend a retailer where we can purchase the book now or in the near future?

PS to Jeff S. - see how excited we are to get your book.  

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 08:36:17 am »

It ain't just Peachpit...there were similar problems with O'Reilly's Photoshop Lightroom Adventure...it's all an Amazon problem and an automated system that once enabled, takes over....the problem is that if the data entry is faulty (as it was with the REAL ship date of RWCR CS3-Peachpit ALWAYS said "Fall 2007") everything else happens with no human intervention including the sending of bogus emails...and it ain't only Peachpit that is clamoring for Amazon to get their act together...

Course, once it actually ships, people tend to forget about the initial problems..but not me. I don't get mad, I get even.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hear you - I have enough experience ordering books from Amazon.com to relate to that. But I have to say, it wasn't always like this. Back in the 90s when they started-up and introduced to the world the concept of large scale e-commerce in books - and they were losing money hand-over-fist - their merchandising control and service were excellent. Things happen over time. Perhaps they've gotten too big and diversified and too short on properly qualified staff to manage it all correctly.

I also got one of those emails announcing delivery this week, and I had to go into my account to see it is even further delayed. But like you, I'm not *angry* - just disappointed. And as for getting "even" - Jeff - do tell us - how does one "get even" with Amazon.com? Should I have visions of you driving your bike straight into the CEO's office, revving the engine and telling him to get his act together?   Back to reality, I'm going to write them this morning - sometimes when a customer pitches the right kind of message to the right level it gets listened to and things happen.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

KeithR

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 09:52:48 am »

OK, if it is an Amazon problem, can anybody recommend a retailer where we can purchase the book now or in the near future?

PS to Jeff S. - see how excited we are to get your book. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152977\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can order it directly from Peachpit at www.peachpit.com.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

bjanes

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 09:58:49 am »

I have no thoughts on dcRAW...other than Dave Coffin has done the industry a service but I have no need for a conversion tool that results in linear files.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152962\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DCRaw can output linear files (gamma = 1.0), which is not something that can't  be done with ACR to the best of my knowledge. Setting contrast, brightness and black point to zero in ACR will produce a linear tonal response curve, the the resulting file is still gamma encoded. DCraw can also render into aRBG, sRGB, and ProPhotoRGB. However, its command line interface is not conducive to large volume work.

In a recent test where I calibrated ACR with the Fors script for my Nikon D200, I found that DCRaw produced a smaller ΔE*94 than either ACR or Nikon Capture NX. Since DCRaw uses the Adobe coefficients for converting from the camera space to the working space (at least when I last reviewed the source code), the smaller ΔE*94 is somewhat surprising.]

Bill

Fred Ragland

• http://
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 10:32:17 am »

...can anybody recommend a retailer where we can purchase the book now or in the near future?[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href=\"http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321518675&rl=1]This[/url] is the link Jeff provided readers of PhotoshopNews.com to buy direct from Peachpit at a discount.  I paid $31.49 plus state tax and it shipped free.  Its scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Thank you Jeff.

Fred

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 10:45:40 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jeff,

I hope somebody gets some good photos of you biking up to Amazon with your sledge hammer in hand.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 12:06:39 pm »

Is anything in the book not covered in the LL C2P vids?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 12:16:20 pm »

Congrats, Jeff - Loved your writeup on the printing process!

Mike
(who researches book titles 'n' things on Amazon but orders them through a local independent bookshop)
If your mind is attuned t

Schewe

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 12:35:18 pm »

Is anything in the book not covered in the LL C2P vids?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153094\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Uh, YEAH....the C2P was really about printing and optimizing for print. But in the case of the RWCR CS3 book, it's _ALL_ about Camera Raw, Bridge CS3 and Photoshop CS3...Check out the TOC to grok the topics covered...

But I will also say that Michael and I are discussing the possibility of doing a RWCR vid tut as well. More on that if/when...

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 12:38:51 pm »

Great!  Ordering a copy.....

interpolator

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 06:15:47 pm »

This is the link Jeff provided readers of PhotoshopNews.com to buy direct from Peachpit at a discount.  I paid $31.49 plus state tax and it shipped free.  Its scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153064\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ditto here.  Preodered from Amazon early August.  Latest Amazon proposed ship date Dec 28.  Cancelled amazon and on board with Peachpit.  Peachpit ships out tomorrow.  

There is a serious sickness at Amazon

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 10:32:34 pm »

I just received a response to my complaint to Amazon.com. They tell me the book is back-ordered but they do not know when it will become available. This of course is complete rubbish, therefore I shall escalate the issue and see where that gets me. As well, I tried to order the book from Peachpit Press. Their website appears to be incompatible with Internet Explorer 7 and Windows XP. I have yet to succeed getting beyond step 1 in their order process before the whole thing gets stuck. Same thing today. I've complained to them about this in the past but they could care less. They have taken no interest in diagnosing where the problem may be. I don't have this difficulty with other websites. So it looks as if I'll just have to do without the book for a while unless I succeed in shaking-up Amazon.com a bit harder. Very frustrating.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 10:55:04 pm »

Follow-up. Tried Peachpit again. The site worked this time. Hallalujah. BUT to ship to Canada they want 18 dollars and only ship on the 19th. Crazy. So I have a choice of sweating it with Amazon for a delivered cost of 36 bucks, or switching to Peachpit for a delivered cost of 50 bucks - even with a 30% discount on the book. I'll give Amazon another several days to get their act together.

interpolator

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 11:49:00 pm »

Peachpit Press. Their website appears to be incompatible with Internet Explorer 7 and Windows XP. I have yet to succeed getting beyond step 1 in their order process before the whole thing gets stuck. Same thing today. I've complained to them about this in the past but they could care less. They have taken no interest in diagnosing where the problem may be. I don't have this difficulty with other websites. So it looks as if I'll just have to do without the book for a while unless I succeed in shaking-up Amazon.com a bit harder. Very frustrating.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153229\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I experienced the same issues as you.  Either enable cookies in your IE tools menu or specifically enter the Peachpit web page into your allowed sites in IE under tools/Internet options/privacy/sites - allow.   Worked great for me.

interpolator

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2007, 11:52:31 pm »

Follow-up. Tried Peachpit again. The site worked this time. Hallalujah. BUT to ship to Canada they want 18 dollars and only ship on the 19th. Crazy. So I have a choice of sweating it with Amazon for a delivered cost of 36 bucks, or switching to Peachpit for a delivered cost of 50 bucks - even with a 30% discount on the book. I'll give Amazon another several days to get their act together.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It cost me a few bucks to abandon Amazon to; but at least I know I am getting the book in a few days rather than the end of next month and do not have to waste time and effort sleuthing around about Amazon's availability and delivery problems.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2007, 08:00:32 am »

I experienced the same issues as you.  Either enable cookies in your IE tools menu or specifically enter the Peachpit web page into your allowed sites in IE under tools/Internet options/privacy/sites - allow.   Worked great for me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153243\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I do accept their cookies. I think they have inadequate server capacity and their site simply gets overwhelmed. Must be Jeff Schewe's popularity doing it to them  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up