Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ZD Back Test  (Read 38859 times)

Snook

ZD Back Test
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 10:04:21 am »

Hey Bob I thought you were shooting with an Aptus or Some kind of leaf? Are you shooting with both leaf and ZD?
Just wondering as I have seen many threads of yours. And was wondering why you would be shooting the ZD if you have a Lwaf system and Leaf is surely better than the ZD.
By the way like your shot's a lot.. very nice.
I have been offered a pretty great deal on an Aptus 22 or 65 and have been deciding between Leaf 22 and a P30.
AS i have stated I CAN NOT GO TEST ONE!!!
Actually going to New York next week and am trying to get some time to test out both the Aptus 22 and P30? Just by chance I got a gig to New York..
Thanks for any more information.
Snook

Henry Goh

ZD Back Test
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 10:06:20 am »

Spend your time shooting with your back rather than doing tests for others.  If they have flawed eyesight, that's their own problem, not yours.

Enjoy your gear.

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
ZD Back Test
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 10:47:31 am »

Snook

I'm now shooting with the ZD only. I did own a Valeo 22 but it's long gone.

IMO the Aptus 22 is NOT a better deal unless you can find one for under 10k.

I just posted a ton of test images from the ZD in my mini review thread.

One more thing - since you'll be in NYC next week why not make a phone call to test a ZD back as well?
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

Snook

ZD Back Test
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 11:05:47 am »

That actually is a good idea.. You have any contacts in New York?
I see B&H never has any in Stock. And not sure who reps Mamiya in New York..
I would appreciate and Information.
The Aptus I am Looking at is around that price.. A little more but to where I live which is a pain in the Butt...:+]
I have seen a couple of Aptus 22's but it is difficult to find in AFDII format and they are usually used from Non-dealers so not sure about warranty and the state of the actual back? You know what I mean.
The price I am getting is with a Dealer for Leaf and it is refurbished with one year warranty.
I often wonder about the ZD because I would like to have a back, that supposedly has the same chip as the Aptus for 7,000$. That is a no brainer. But the Screen plus continuos shooting speed at 1.2 FPS Until you want, Unlike the ZD is worth the Extra $$ in my find. Not to mention the Aptus tethers "better" Supposedly..
I am not knocking the ZD, Only making an observation on what I see. And I have good eye sight:+}
I did not want to comment on your studio shot, because I respect your opinion and it sounds like a lot of people are getting irritated with my post,mostly ZD owners logically, But I am not trying to BASH for the heck of it.. I have better things to do with my time , believe me!
But maybe some of the Purple stuff could me some mix of Moire also.
In your studio shot close up crop of the Black shirt.. There is something going on there but looks more like a moire problem.. Maybe?
Look at it real quick and there is some purple stuff on the shirt.
I appreciate your post and information a lot, so do not take my comments so personally, because they are in no means meant to offend anybody..
After all, in the end it is just a Picture...:+}
I just get paid pretty good for my work and always want to provide 100% to my clients and do not want to play the sending back game to get a good back no matter what Brand it is.
A lot of people in here are in the states or where they can try, send back, whatever they want to decide on a back,
I cannot, so I am in a different boat.
Thanks
Snook
PS. Nice shot's on your web, I like your pronounce style.. Very Unique..

John Schweikert

ZD Back Test
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 11:34:19 am »

Snook,

Not sure why you have found it difficult to find Aptus 22's in the Mamiya mount. In the last 4-8 weeks, they have been abound. Mpex.com has had 8-10 of these as cast off from one of the large photo schools. They are brand new, mine started with 0 shot count. They just have to sell them as demo status so that Leaf promotions (reduced extended warranty, free AFDII bodies with purchase) are not eligible for those purchases. They had one that just ended a few days ago that didn't sell. Call them up and get a "new" unit for a great price.

Here is the best little free app for the Mac that lets you keep track of any search you want to create for ebay auctions: http://www.iwascoding.com/GarageBuy

I have about 50-60 saved searches in this app and never go to ebay unless I need to. Saves a huge amount of time and you get constant updates. You have to be clever with search strings to get variations of how people post items for sale, but I have seen many digital backs on ebay for months in the AFD mount, Aptus 22, the highest.

I still agree that you should test for your style of shooting and user experience, but if you were originally interested in the ZD back and now looking for an Aptus, they are out there with no strings attached.

I commend Bob for posting some simple samples of his recent ZD back, because it does show that the file quality is there. Basically what I am seeing from my Aptus. The huge difference between the two backs comes down to speed, the screen and tethering.

LC11 for Leaf tethers flawlessly to my Macbook. Lightroom makes beautiful conversions of the Aptus files and the back itself on my AFD (non II) works with no errors or hiccups. I have 6 batteries, found a cheap source online for good L-ions and some faster CF cards.

I like easy to use items. I don't like to jump through hoops to use gear.

Caveat to the warranty for my back, it has a full one Leaf warranty which Leaf America would handle with very quick turnaround of a few days. But because of where I purchased the back, I can't expect 24/7 tech support as Steve Hendrix provides to his clients. But at the same time, I consider myself skilled enough at all the tech side, it shouldn't be too difficult to solve issues barring major service repairs.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 11:38:10 am by John Schweikert »

Snook

ZD Back Test
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 11:45:20 am »

Thanks Jon...:+}
I have been and actually before I posted today checked Mpex but they do not have any Aptus 22's on their site? Maybe they are just throwing them on e-bay.
I did see some one win one for 10,000, A while back, but I was not so sure on Aptus 100% to jump the gun... And it did go for 10,000..:+}
Saw another guy but private individual who sold is aptus 22 and a WHOLE lot of gear for 16,000 but I e-mailed him and he said it had no warranty on the back so that through me off...
Thanks for you info.. I do think the aptus is worth a couple of k$ more for it's features.
But have no hands on experience...
You actually influenced me towards Leaf with some of your post as I was battling between it and the P30 which I know is  a great camera back also.
Does the bulky battery position bother you at all? And Do you have have a special plate for tripods so that is does not touch the tripod below....? Like the old plate for the polaroid back for mamiya. I had one of those also...
Thanks for any further info..
Have any recent shot's of your Aptus 22? I think you shoot mainly products if I remember correctly?
Snook

bcroslin

ZD Back Test
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 11:52:54 am »

Snook,

Call Calumet about a ZD back. I spoke to them 2 months ago and they were planning to carry them.

Also, why not just pick up the phone and call MPEX about the Aptus 22? They had one on ebay just a few days ago for a buyit now price of $10.5k.

John Schweikert

ZD Back Test
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 12:38:10 pm »

Snook,

Bob's right, be aggressive by calling them up. Don't rely on what is shown on their website. Talk to Stu at Mpex.com, he's the 'man' to work with.

The battery is not an issue when mounted to the tripod. I use two different tripods, ball head and standard three way head, all Bogen/Manfrotto with the hex plates. I use a flat hex plate (type you need a coin to screw in) which helps in having a flat botton for laying the camera down and with that the battery is almost flush when on a table.

When tethered, the Aptus runs off the computer's power via firewire. On my Macbook, works great. I just plug in the laptop every so often during the day to get the charge back up if doing location work.

I find I can get close to two hours on a standard SB-L160 type battery. I also bought the Impact dual bay recharger from B&H to get more batteries charged at once. The single charger from Leaf just won't cut it when you have a bunch of batteries.

When looking for batteries for the Aptus, search with 'Samsung SB-L160' or the larger capacity versions of SB-L320 and SB-L480.

I love Capture One having used it for four years now with my Canons, but I just didn't 'connect' with their digital backs. The screens of the non plus backs were not good for judging an image at all. The Leaf screen is good not great. It does give a respectable view of the image. Zooming shows 100%. The touch screen works quite well with a finger or the stylus. The custom scroll button on the side is great, set from factory for scrolling through shots and seeing the info/histogram with your thumb on your grip hand. Makes for very easy use. The screen is completely unviewable in daylight. But I use A Hoodman screen loupe for my Canons and it works great for the Aptus outside. Like looking at a slide on a light table.

If you want to see some full res Tiffs, I already have some on my FTP that I was showing a friend. Email me and I will send you the links to them. I just don't want to post full res client work here.

I know the 33mp and 39mp backs are much more resolution, but the Aptus 22 has just beautiful files. Plenty of detail. Usable ISO from 25-200, I still need to experiment with what 400 can do.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 12:42:40 pm by John Schweikert »

wilburdl

• http://darnellwilburn.com
ZD Back Test
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 02:38:48 pm »

Bob's right, be aggressive by calling them up. Don't rely on what is shown on their website. Talk to Stu at Mpex.com, he's the 'man' to work with.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151333\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeah, they forget about that site sometimes. I actually brought my 1DsII and lenses from Stu. Only 2 hours away  
Darnell
Editorial Photographer | Cartoon

Snook

ZD Back Test
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2007, 02:59:50 pm »

Thanks A lot John...
My e-mail is:
ekphotography@mac.com
I would appreciate it if I could check one out...
I'll throw it away right after examining it.
You have any with people?
That would great. I am going to Call Midex right now and see if they have anything..:+}
Thanks again
Snook
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 03:00:27 pm by Snook »

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
ZD Back Test
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 05:59:45 am »

Crop of test image, saved jpg level 12.
Also, crop of lower right, DC color checker.
As requested by several.
Remember, some of the noise is from watercolor paper.
DC color checker is smoother.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151281\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jon,

I maintain what I see on your test samples posted seem identical to the problem with my ZD camera. I also see it on these last posts, also in the darker tones on the color checker. Yet by now my eyes are trained on detecting this. It is not the same purple blobs that Frank Doorhof encountered. I do not know if related. In actual shooting it does not usually show up, but it does so on limited number of my photos. It is difficult to say in what situation. It definently does not show up on most samples posted in these forums from the ZD back or camera. That is wrong. Indeed I have some images I am very pleased with from my ZD also   .

Currently I am on visit to Hong Kong and am just back from my agent here. My ZD camera is now going back to Mamiya in Japan for investigation. I am told Mamiya WILL work on this problem to solve and rectify (estimate within one month or shorter).

I can only praise my agent here in their service in handling this case. Currently I have another ZD camera on loan, but their helpfullness extends beyond that. Perhaps when buying this level of equipment that is something to consider as compared from buying from a store or mail order house that does not give service as an agent does and nor has same familiarity with the product. Or can you expect same from Canon or Nikon as a Mamiya agent???

I do like Mamiya. My Mamiya 7II is lovely. I got 6 slide films back from processing yesterday, mostly Fuji Velvia 50. Wow! Awesome. Velvia 50 colors nirvana . Played with the AFDII + ZD back when at agent. Viewfinder is crisper and brighter than ZD camera and it accepts filmback. Of course I also like the ZD camera... neither is perfect, both very good . Looking forward to them solving this problem, meanwhile... I guess still some happy shooting   .

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:32:27 am by Anders_HK »

bcroslin

ZD Back Test
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 09:28:02 am »

Anders,

It's good to hear you're getting the issue resolved. When I had issues with my first ZD back I simply  emailed Mamiya and they got the ball rolling. I have an open dialogue running with a Mamiya tech and Mamiya replaced my ZD back with no questions asked. Email and phone calls have always been answered promptly and Mamiya service rocks IMO.

I've never had the same experience with Nikon or Canon. I have a friend fairly high up in CPS that  I can call on if needed and Canon has hooked me up with loaner gear on occasion but I've never heard of Canon offering to replace a defective camera right off the bat. NPS, in my experience, is a joke. Terrible service, gear sent back broken or sent back months later with a CYA attitude all the way. With that said, I recently spoke to a few Nikon reps and they said NPS had some sort of a shakeup recently and the service is much better.

Anyway - please let us know what happens with your camera.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
ZD Back Test
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007, 04:42:32 am »

Anders,

It's good to hear you're getting the issue resolved. When I had issues with my first ZD back I simply  emailed Mamiya and they got the ball rolling. I have an open dialogue running with a Mamiya tech and Mamiya replaced my ZD back with no questions asked. Email and phone calls have always been answered promptly and Mamiya service rocks IMO.

I've never had the same experience with Nikon or Canon. I have a friend fairly high up in CPS that  I can call on if needed and Canon has hooked me up with loaner gear on occasion but I've never heard of Canon offering to replace a defective camera right off the bat. NPS, in my experience, is a joke. Terrible service, gear sent back broken or sent back months later with a CYA attitude all the way. With that said, I recently spoke to a few Nikon reps and they said NPS had some sort of a shakeup recently and the service is much better.

Anyway - please let us know what happens with your camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151495\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bob,

Will post the outcome when I get it .

Regards
Anders

JDBFreeheel

ZD Back Test
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2007, 12:50:53 pm »

All,

After reading through most of these threads regarding the performance of the ZD back, I've decided to accept the apparently obligatory photo criticism to share some shots using my AFD and ZD so that others can look into the quality of the image reproduction of the ZD Back.

I'm curious if those of you familiar to these files or these backs see the same issues or concern in my files as you've seen in others.  I bought my back in August when they first appeared in the US market and have slowly become accustomed to its behavior, strengths and weaknesses.  

I've had a few issues with the back locking up and some potential purple fringing, but my call to MAC group in NY and conversation with tech support yielded the response that "if the AFD goes to sleep, sometimes the back and the camera miscommunicate and you'll need to reset the AFD and ZD back by opening the battery door," and "the color cast you may see could be a result of not getting the exposure right and therefore the sensor not processing the image correctly."  

While I am open to these two issues being the case, I hope that this community might be able to view my files in order to help me discover whether my ZD back is operating as expected.

Thanks,

Josh

(I'm hoping the file comes through ok, if not, I'll repost)[attachment=3840:attachment]

JDBFreeheel

ZD Back Test
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 01:10:29 pm »

Let's try again on posting a larger image...

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
ZD Back Test
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 01:58:20 pm »

Let's try again on posting a larger image...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152766\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
you should post your jpeg with less compression, its not a problem if they have some mb more. if not its pretty worthless to see an image in the quality you provide them here. lots of banding and very strange artefacts in the grass,- which are not made by the back.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 01:58:59 pm by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

JDBFreeheel

ZD Back Test
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 03:31:24 pm »

you should post your jpeg with less compression, its not a problem if they have some mb more. if not its pretty worthless to see an image in the quality you provide them here. lots of banding and very strange artefacts in the grass,- which are not made by the back.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152773\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rainer -

Thanks, I noticed the same.  The jpg compression doesn't allow folks to view these at the same quality.  Does anyone have recommendation for a workflow/compression scale so that it allow us to accurately post images (at least close enough) while at the same time not clogging the internet?  I tried to post a larger file and it timed out.  

I will try again this afternoon when I'm not posted via my mobile.

-Josh

John Schweikert

ZD Back Test
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2007, 03:41:23 pm »

Josh,

Do you have a website that you can upload files to? That is what I do. I upload to the back end of my site/ftp and then just post the full URL to that image using the http tag above the reply box.

If you are worried about bandwidth, then just post a 100% portions instead directly using the IMG tag with your uploaded image URL.

Rainer -

Thanks, I noticed the same.  The jpg compression doesn't allow folks to view these at the same quality.  Does anyone have recommendation for a workflow/compression scale so that it allow us to accurately post images (at least close enough) while at the same time not clogging the internet?  I tried to post a larger file and it timed out. 
I will try again this afternoon when I'm not posted via my mobile.

-Josh
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

bcroslin

ZD Back Test
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2007, 04:23:32 pm »

You might want to also make some full rez crops with the areas of concern and post those.

If you're seeing a purple fringe along the edge of your image or any strange noise in the shadows at ISO 200 you have a bad back and Mamiya will replace it.

The older backs had a little note in the box talking about some sort of reset procedure that sounds like what the person at Mamiya told you. The newer backs with the hardware/ firmware fix do not have the note in the box.

espressogeek

ZD Back Test
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2007, 05:47:39 pm »

I would like to see the full rez copies of these too. I was going to buy a back from BH today but they sold out before I got the chance. Once again I watch the site.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up