Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New XZ3100 Firmware Annoyance  (Read 5863 times)

marclw

New XZ3100 Firmware Annoyance
« on: November 07, 2007, 03:44:32 pm »

I'm running the latest version of Tiger on a dual 2.3 gig dual mac and upgraded to the latest z3100 drivers and firmware a few days ago. I removed all the previous drivers & software before installing the new software. While my prints seem to be coming out fine, I keep getting the alert, "New revision to media list" OVER AND OVER again. I keep "solving" the issue only for it to keep appearing! To reduce the occurrence of the alert, I've made it only come up daily. Have any of you experienced anything like this and, if so, how can I get a rid of it! Thanks in advance.

Marc

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 06:46:38 pm »

I keep getting the alert, "New revision to media list" OVER AND OVER again.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151136\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hello Marc,
I also work on about the same apple system
I just installed a week ago the driver( 3,1) and firmware ( 6.008) without removing anything and here it works fine - although I see some new little problems that I did not have before- but they are not that important.
Did you update the paperlist in the HP Printer Utility/ manage papers?
( I guess you already did- but that is all I could think of)
Kers
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

mvandenbos

• www.mehdivandenbos.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 07:07:51 pm »

Hi I've got the same problem as yourself and have had so since the previous firmware/driver update. It becomes a problem whenever i link up with the printer either through USB or wirelessly ... hence in general I have disabled the alerts through the preferences menu. Needless to say though this is a practical solution to the annoyance it is not a working solution to the problem.

Would love to hear of any more realistic solutions also!
Mehdi van den Bos
www.mehdivandenbos.com

deelight

• http://
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 04:08:34 am »

Hi I've got the same problem as yourself and have had so since the previous firmware/driver update. It becomes a problem whenever i link up with the printer either through USB or wirelessly ... hence in general I have disabled the alerts through the preferences menu. Needless to say though this is a practical solution to the annoyance it is not a working solution to the problem.

Would love to hear of any more realistic solutions also!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have the same problem, I am on OSX 10.4.10 - did not have it before upgrading to 6008. Refreshing the paper list does not help.

Anyone with a solution?

Best,

Clem
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 04:11:42 am by deelight »

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:18:31 pm »

I have the same problem, I am on OSX 10.4.10 - did not have it before upgrading to 6008. Refreshing the paper list does not help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151252\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi All,
I am on the Mac OS X.4.10 and using the Z3100ps GP model, and it happens to me too, on both installs of the printer driver (PS or PCL3) on more than one computer, and is very annoying. More or less very repetitive nag about updating. HP please fix this!

Also, I am experiencing problems with "Installing Profiles" that I have made with a different spectrophotometer. I used to be able to install them and since the upgrades, this feature appears to be broken.

Sigh! Are we having fun yet?

If you get the answer let me know!

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

marclw

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 01:03:05 pm »

Thanks all! It's so good to know that I am not alone! I guess until someone comes up with a solution, I'll disable the stupid alerts. I'll turn them on only just before I print to check if there are any problems. . . . Rats.

Charles Gast

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 04:56:25 pm »

I am running windoze and it is always telling me that the printer profiles need to be updated to the ones inthe computer. Updating does not make the warning go away.  There are always problems with hastily compiled softward "updates". I suppose we are lucky it works at all.
Management is going to be making the engineers spend most of their time working to get the next version of the printer to market. I don't think much time is allowed to kick this "old" printer around by the engineers at this point.
The driver still wants to print every image in sRGB mode and I have to tell it each time to use the profile instead. It was that way with the last release too. HP is doing a lame job on the software

jpmulligan

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 07:42:17 pm »

I've actually found that with the new driver (under Vista 64) that the warnings now do clear after synchronizing, which never happened prior to this version of the driver and firmware.

jmvdigital

• http://www.jmvdigital.com
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 01:14:40 pm »

I too am having this problem. No matter how many times I try to "solve" the alert issue, it keeps on coming back. I can't say exactly what started this rash of annoyance, as I updated the printer's firmware and I switched to Leopard (OS X 10.5) last week.

Also of curious note, when I click "Solve" and the HP Printer Utility starts up automatically, the Color Center portion is lacking the ICC calibration and Manage Papers menu options. But if I start the Printer Utility on my own, those items are there. Also of interesting note, if I have the Printer Utility open (and those ICC, calibration, and paper items are listed), and that alert pops up... hit Solve, and focus switches to the Printer Utility, but those Color Center options magically disappear, while it's open. Strange!

-J
--
Justin VanAlstyne [url=http://www.jmv

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 01:54:10 pm »

Also of curious note, when I click "Solve" and the HP Printer Utility starts up automatically, the Color Center portion is lacking the ICC calibration and Manage Papers menu options. But if I start the Printer Utility on my own, those items are there. Also of interesting note, if I have the Printer Utility open (and those ICC, calibration, and paper items are listed), and that alert pops up... hit Solve, and focus switches to the Printer Utility, but those Color Center options magically disappear, while it's open. Strange!

-J
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
jmvdigital-

The problem you describe, with the missing items from the Printer Utility window (ICC, paper, etc.) is a know problem that can be solved by clicking the little button in the lower left corner of the Printer Utility.  A solution to a problem that will hopefully be fixed with the next release.

Oddly, I do not have the same problems with the "revise media list" error, runninng a 44" Z3100ps GP under Leopard.

Are any of you running Macs finding that the HP Printer Monitor is failing to quit?  Every time I restart, I get a message that the Printer Monitor needs to be force quit.  
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 02:23:28 pm »

jmvdigital-
Are any of you running Macs finding that the HP Printer Monitor is failing to quit?  Every time I restart, I get a message that the Printer Monitor needs to be force quit. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153126\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi -Ron H.,
I'm on the Mac and haven't experienced this, but I seldom shut down or restart, so that might explain it. Also, I am very regular about Disk Maintenance, running Cocktail about once a week.

So long for now, TOM

jmvdigital

• http://www.jmvdigital.com
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 03:26:12 pm »

Are any of you running Macs finding that the HP Printer Monitor is failing to quit?  Every time I restart, I get a message that the Printer Monitor needs to be force quit. 
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153126\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ron- I was getting that Printer Monitor opening on startup, but it has stopped doing that, though I'm not sure why. When it would start, it would bounce in the dock for a long time, then stop bouncing, but the app would never really start. I would have to Force Quit it.

-J
--
Justin VanAlstyne [url=http://www.jmv

Edhopkins

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 01:37:42 pm »

Oddly, I do not have the same problems with the "revise media list" error, runninng a 44" Z3100ps GP under Leopard.

Ron

You are running the Z3100ps GP under Leopard? I tried that and finally gave up. I was told by HP that the APS software (Advanced profiling system) did not run under Leopard wand would not for months and months. I was also told that he PS driver did not work under Leopard.

Do you have all of this working under Leopard?  

(I fell back to 10.4.11 and am struggling to get anything working again.)

thanks

ed

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 03:54:22 pm »

Ron
You are running the Z3100ps GP under Leopard? I tried that and finally gave up.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157689\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, I have a Z3100ps GP and I'm running it with no issues in 10.5.1 EXCEPT for APS.  APS will not even launch, so when I need to create a new paper profile or calibrate my monitors, I need to boot from 10.4.11 to do it.  

If HP actually told you that it will be months until they release a Leopard compliant version of APS then they were much more forthright with you than they have ever been with me about a timeline for any sort of update.  They always tell me that they have no idea about timing of anything in the pipeline.  I did speak with X-Rite, though, who has pretty good customer service, and they said that they are very close to having it nailed down and that they expected HP to release it early in 2008.  I wonder what HP has to do on their end except slap their name on it?  Presumably it is just testing, which to date seems a bit suspect.

-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

macdaddyv

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 02:43:22 pm »

Yes, I have a Z3100ps GP and I'm running it with no issues in 10.5.1 EXCEPT for APS.  APS will not even launch, so when I need to create a new paper profile or calibrate my monitors, I need to boot from 10.4.11 to do it. 

If HP actually told you that it will be months until they release a Leopard compliant version of APS then they were much more forthright with you than they have ever been with me about a timeline for any sort of update.  They always tell me that they have no idea about timing of anything in the pipeline.  I did speak with X-Rite, though, who has pretty good customer service, and they said that they are very close to having it nailed down and that they expected HP to release it early in 2008.  I wonder what HP has to do on their end except slap their name on it?  Presumably it is just testing, which to date seems a bit suspect.

-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157708\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What ever you do don't call Tech Support.
I have been down this path and it is ugly. I have tried to upgrade my firmware since I bought my printer last June. I always get the message resource not available after a very long URl is listed.
I called tech support b/c my printer keeps telling me to upgrade the firmware 6.0.0.8, and driver 5.1 for my MAC PRO. I spent well over 2 1/2 hours on the phone (hold, menu problems, transfers to other people). My tech support person who was very nice couldn't think of anything else to try (and we tried a lot) finally told me to "reboot" the printer to factory defaults and then we could try a firmware upgrade. What he didn't know is that requires the startup print-heads that ship from the factory in new printers. Those get disposed of after the first boot-up (June 07 for me). The printer will not go past that step. I was told a technician would come out the next day with print-heads and also perform my firmware upgrade (via new mother board if necessary). The technician called and said they don't have the part, don't know when they will get the part and he was going out of town for vacation. So now I have a printer with ink in the lines and it is shut down. It can't perform its usual maintenance b/c it is stuck in boot-up. I have missed a print deadline for a competition, and had to cancel print-jobs I was going to get paid for. HP response is well we can't help you b/c we don't know if we can find the part today, tomorrow, next week.
I am outraged and don't have a next step. Customer service suporvisor said I'll get an estimate, expedite your case and call you back. No call. This started last Wednesday.

Macdaddy

Charles Gast

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 10:43:58 pm »

I had this problem too. I did not bother to call tech support only to hear them treat me as an imbecile. "Is your printer plugged in? Did you profile the paper?"
What fixed it is that the new papers calibrations expired and when I recalibrated them the nonsensical message went away. Who knows why but then who cares. This is life in the compter age  
My suggestion is if you see this message redo the paper calibrations -don't reprofile just recalibrate.  I can't recall which one it was but recalibrating one of the three papers the machine is set up to use made the message go byebye.

Charlie
Pages: [1]   Go Up