Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson Exhibition Fiber  (Read 16160 times)

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
New Epson Exhibition Fiber
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 09:53:35 am »

Ok, isn't the Innova paper the one that is 285 grams?    I had a box left with 2 sheets in it that I'd ordered to try---the box said Innova fibaprint ultrasmooth glossy 285.  the paper I had in that box curled on the edges--didn't lay really flat, and felt too floppy for me.  I remember thinking it was very expensive for such a light feeling paper.  Paper "feel" (important to me) doesn't necessarily parallel listed weights---I commented that I liked the new Epson because it "feels" heavier, thicker, and stiffer and more substantial (than even the Harman baryta that I also like that I think is about the same 'weight".)

Speaking of high pricing, this new Epson Exhibition listed prices are very high but Epson allows unadvertised discounts---I know shades of paper discounts this Epson paper but you have to email or call for prices because the lower prices can't be listed on the site. eleanor

We must be talking about different papers. The Innova Ultra Smooth Gloss is hardly "flimsy". It's weight is about 10% less than the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. And it IS available in rolls. I spoke with the Epson Pro Graphics manager in NYC at Photo Expo last month and he confirmed that Epson will NOT be offering it in rolls, so it is a non-starter for anyone who prints large. (Most of the prints I sell run between 24x30 and 30x40.) I also find that the Epson and Innova papers have more of a lustre like surface than I prefer. The Harman version is smoother and, IMO, gets in the way less of looking into the image.
I do agree, BTW, with another poster about Epson's quality control. It is excellent. I have used Epson Premium Semi-Matte in rolls for years and it has been flawless. Not ideal because that paper is somewhat "flimsy", but I have been unwilling to accept the trade-off that we had to make until recently of deep blacks and a broad color gamut for a paper that feels better in the hand.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151291\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

gehle

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 12:03:18 pm »

Jesus tap dancing christ.  I'd have to call my banker.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151238\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I checked the price at itsupplies. Lists the same as the  source referred to in this thread but once you add it to your cart it gets discounted - the 379 price changes to 294.00 - but that is still about 12 bucks a sheet for a 24x30! OOUUCHHHH.

I saw the paper at Expo (along with many others from other makers) and though it is nice I personally was not totally "wowed" by it. I sort of see all of this hype like we have found the holy grail yet I can see in a year or two we will all be crowding around something else.

Yes, Epson has great QC on the media.

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 12:46:27 pm »

Anybody use this paper?  Could well be the Epson Exhibition under a different name?  Less expensive.  $9 for a 24x30 as opposed to $12.  Come in rolls also.

http://premierimagingproducts.com/pm_platinumrag.php
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:48:31 pm by Craig Murphy »
CMurph

eleanorbrown

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 02:04:24 pm »

IF this is the "original" stuff that inkjetart carried about a couple of years ago it is the absolute worst paper I've ever tried.   The paper I'm thinking of was, I think, the first "attempt" to bridge the gulf between plastic "luster" papers and rag fiber luster papers. eleanor

Anybody use this paper?  Could well be the Epson Exhibition under a different name?  Less expensive.  $9 for a 24x30 as opposed to $12.  Come in rolls also.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151528\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown

dealy663

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 02:40:18 pm »

There is no way that Platinum Rag is the same paper as EEF (exhibition fibre). The platinum rag does indeed print with the MK ink while I'm pretty sure that EEF is PK.

Not to mention that the Platinum Rag is a pretty bad paper IMHO. There is some sort of low resolution/grainy quality to it that is simply unattractive.

Anybody use this paper?  Could well be the Epson Exhibition under a different name?  Less expensive.  $9 for a 24x30 as opposed to $12.  Come in rolls also.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151528\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Derek
[url=http://www.grandprixsw.com/Wo

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 04:44:09 am »

Wow!  what can I say---this new epson paper wins the prize in my book. Just got my hands on a few samples printing both black and white and color on my epson 7800 with K3 ink set.  I have nothing bad to say about this paper except that I don't think it comes in rolls.  This is a beautiful heavy weight bright white paper with a soft gloss (not as glossy as the Harman and Hahnemuhle latest offerings) and a texture to die for!  Epson has a winner with this texture...subtle and smooth, yet more pronounced than the harman or hahnumuhle texture.  I'm a super compulsively particular former silver printer that's always looking for something in digital media to match or exceed the best qualities of my silver papers.  Of the latest three offerings (Harman, Hahnemuhle, and now, Epson) this paper "feels" the most substantial---meaning it will "corner" mount the best without buckling. It is also brighter white than the harman (can't remember about the Hahnemuhle).  The epson has no gloss differential (or none of any consequence) and no bronzing (again, using my K3 inks and Imageprint).  Eleanor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150976\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Eleanor for starting this thread and for your and others' comments on this paper. By chance I managed to get a box yesterday(for some reason it is called Tradition Photo Paper in continental Europe). So far it does meet the expectations that were raised by the postings above, and then some. And also many thanks to the PixelGenius mafia for their profiles -almost as good as their software!.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 04:44:53 am by Ralph Eisenberg »
Ralph

Photolandscape

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 11:25:56 am »

I too got samples of this paper at PhotoExpo in NY. Haven't opened it or tried it yet. I have an Epson 3800. Has Epson posted a good profile for it that I can use to do some testing? Thanks.

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 11:43:35 am »

I too got samples of this paper at PhotoExpo in NY. Haven't opened it or tried it yet. I have an Epson 3800. Has Epson posted a good profile for it that I can use to do some testing? Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151728\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They can be downloaded at the PixelGenius website - as recommended by Epson on their Professional Imaging website.
Ralph

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 11:56:28 am »

For those of you who print on the 3800 via the ABW driver, I've posted an ICC profile for EEF here:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep...bwprofiles.html

I also feel that EEF is very similar to Innova FibaPrint USG, except the weight. Paper white and surface texture are nearly identical. But I do prefer the thicker base of EEF. EEF is a bit whiter and brighter than Harman Gloss (HG), not quite as smooth. Of these three papers HG is the sharpest, with the tightest dot pattern; the tradeoff is that the dot pattern is more visible to the naked eye with HG. For B&W images I do not find this objectionable, but EEF is definitely smoother than HG in this regard, esp. with flat areas of subtle tonal transition. I do think the EEF coating is probably different than USG, because (1) I see less gloss differential with EEF and (2) fewer pizza wheel marks with EEF; i.e., the pizza wheel ejection mechanism on my 3800 doesn't "dig into" the EEF surface as much as with the Innova USG paper. (All of the Innova FibaPrint papers I've tried -- i.e., all of them -- show significant pizza wheel marks ...)
Eric Chan

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 02:11:55 pm »

For those of you who print on the 3800 via the ABW driver, I've posted an ICC profile for EEF here:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep...bwprofiles.html

I also feel that EEF is very similar to Innova FibaPrint USG, except the weight. Paper white and surface texture are nearly identical. But I do prefer the thicker base of EEF. EEF is a bit whiter and brighter than Harman Gloss (HG), not quite as smooth. Of these three papers HG is the sharpest, with the tightest dot pattern; the tradeoff is that the dot pattern is more visible to the naked eye with HG. For B&W images I do not find this objectionable, but EEF is definitely smoother than HG in this regard, esp. with flat areas of subtle tonal transition. I do think the EEF coating is probably different than USG, because (1) I see less gloss differential with EEF and (2) fewer pizza wheel marks with EEF; i.e., the pizza wheel ejection mechanism on my 3800 doesn't "dig into" the EEF surface as much as with the Innova USG paper. (All of the Innova FibaPrint papers I've tried -- i.e., all of them -- show significant pizza wheel marks ...)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll have to bookmark that page (your site for the 3800 is already). It looks like you've covered all the bases from all the angles. Good to have your viewpoint on these papers. I'm  liking the EEF more and more as I begin to learn to print to it. Beautiful detail, luscious colors, sumptuous feel to it. Impoverishing cost, but exhilarating.
Ralph

eleanorbrown

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2007, 10:16:45 am »

Re: EEF in rolls---apparently the folks at Epson are not making this available in rolls because they are afraid it will not stay flat after printing because of the composition of the base.  Personally I would still like it in rolls---I can always cold mount the larger prints on foam core or whatever.  As someone mentioned earlier however, Epson is very particular about quality control.  eleanor
Eleanor Brown

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 03:44:22 pm »

If you're ok with cold mounting, you could instead get the Innova FibaPrint Ultra Smooth Gloss, which is available in rolls. Once cold-mounted the differences in paper thickness & weight between USG and EEF become immaterial.
Eric Chan

Paul Sumi

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 05:28:26 pm »

For those who have already tested samples of the EEF, I am wondering how susceptible it is to surface damage (dings and scratches) in the course of normal handling.

I have been testing the Harman Gloss fiber paper.  While I like the paper quite a bit, I am definitely put off by how easily the paper accumulates scratches.

Thanks for any insight.

Paul

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2007, 04:24:06 pm »

For those who have already tested samples of the EEF, I am wondering how susceptible it is to surface damage (dings and scratches) in the course of normal handling.

I have been testing the Harman Gloss fiber paper.  While I like the paper quite a bit, I am definitely put off by how easily the paper accumulates scratches.

Thanks for any insight.

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152005\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You might wish to refer to the link above to Eric Chan's site, where he briefly discusses how these papers hold up to surface damage. My initial impression is that the surface of the Epson paper is really  very good in this respect, although it is still early days.
Ralph

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007, 04:31:30 pm »

EEF is also susceptible to scratches, scuffs, and dings. But the surface is inherently less smooth than HG so the artifacts on EEF will generally be less noticeable.
Eric Chan

Paul Sumi

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2007, 05:03:44 pm »

Ralph, Eric,

Thank you both for your replies.

Regards,

Paul
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up