Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson Exhibition Fiber  (Read 16159 times)

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
New Epson Exhibition Fiber
« on: November 06, 2007, 05:01:06 pm »

Wow!  what can I say---this new epson paper wins the prize in my book. Just got my hands on a few samples printing both black and white and color on my epson 7800 with K3 ink set.  I have nothing bad to say about this paper except that I don't think it comes in rolls.  This is a beautiful heavy weight bright white paper with a soft gloss (not as glossy as the Harman and Hahnemuhle latest offerings) and a texture to die for!  Epson has a winner with this texture...subtle and smooth, yet more pronounced than the harman or hahnumuhle texture.  I'm a super compulsively particular former silver printer that's always looking for something in digital media to match or exceed the best qualities of my silver papers.  Of the latest three offerings (Harman, Hahnemuhle, and now, Epson) this paper "feels" the most substantial---meaning it will "corner" mount the best without buckling. It is also brighter white than the harman (can't remember about the Hahnemuhle).  The epson has no gloss differential (or none of any consequence) and no bronzing (again, using my K3 inks and Imageprint).  Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 05:03:07 pm »

Is this paper actually available somewhere now? I thought it was going to be out at the end of the month.

eleanorbrown

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 05:10:01 pm »

To my knowledge, it is not available.  Jim Doyle of shadesofpaper sent me a small sample pack to test. eleanor

Is this paper actually available somewhere now? I thought it was going to be out at the end of the month.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150978\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 06:19:30 pm »

I got a sample pack at PhotoPlus.  Also love the weight.  It would be nice if they put it on rolls.  The rep at the show said he did not think it would be a problem to do so but said nothing about any immediate plans for it.  I guess they are trying to determine the demand.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 06:20:55 pm by Craig Murphy »
CMurph

eleanorbrown

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 06:26:17 pm »

The paper weight is fantastic.  I would buy it in rolls in a heartbeat.  I have no problem with the Museo Silver Rag(heavy and stiff)  in rolls, this epson paper shouldn't be a problem. eleanor

I got a sample pack at PhotoPlus.  Also love the weight.  It would be nice if they put it on rolls.  The rep at the show said he did not think it would be a problem to do so but said nothing about any immediate plans for it.  I guess they are trying to determine the demand.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150990\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 06:32:26 pm »

I got some early samples to print on my 3800 and its now my favorite paper. It makes Luster look sick in comparison. Should be available very soon (next few weeks or less).

When you do get the paper, there's this:

http://pixelgenius.com/epson/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

JesseSpeer

• http://www.jessespeer.com
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 01:51:29 am »

Epson, please make rolls!
The 24x30 sheet size nearly kills the paper option for me.

eleanorbrown

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 09:57:47 am »

Totally agree.  If epson decided not to make rolls this is going to be very very problematic for me too.  I'm ready to make this my standard fine art  paper for both color and black and white but I need rolls---24 inch rolls and I know those who own larger printers than a 24 inch one, will definitely want rolls.  Shipping 24X30 paper without any damage whatsoever, is again, problematic in itself. The Crane Museo and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl go through my printer and cut with no difficulty---this epson paper should do the same.

Please Epson, make us roll paper in this weight paper! eleanor

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown

01af

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 10:13:52 am »

It makes Luster look sick in comparison.
Umm---Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper will always look sick even with nothing to compare it to. Still some customers like it so I'm keeping a small stock of it handy ...

-- Olaf

hubell

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 10:21:07 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There have been reports from "reliable sources" that the Innova Fibaprint Ultra Smooth Gloss paper is essentailly the same paper as the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. (Epson does nto make its own papers, and Innova probably does not either.) I have tried the Innova paper and it is superb. It is also available in rolls. I have not been able to obtain any samples ofthe Epson paper yet to compare side by side with the Innova, but I have tried the new Epson profiles for the Exhibition Fiber paper with the Innova on my 9800 and they do work quite well.  Innova's own profiles for the Ultra Smooth Gloss paper are NOT identical to Epson's but I would expect there to be some differences for profiles for the same paper depending upon how they were created.

eleanorbrown

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 10:36:45 am »

I did a quick comparison of this Innova paper 285 and the new epson exhibition gloss.  Used the Innova Imageprint profile for both papers and printed an identical file.  Surface is very very similar but these two papers are in different worlds as far as I'm concerned....the Innova 285 is flimsy, and lightweight and personally I would never use this paper for a client and it is horribly expensive for a paper that lightweight.  This epson is quite heavy and much stiffer, lays flat, feels substantial in hand, looks like a first rate fine art paper.  Keep in mind, however, that I have a strong personal preference for heavy weight papers.  eleanor

There have been reports from "reliable sources" that the Innova Fibaprint Ultra Smooth Gloss paper is essentailly the same paper as the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. (Epson does nto make its own papers, and Innova probably does not either.) I have tried the Innova paper and it is superb. It is also available in rolls. I have not been able to obtain any samples ofthe Epson paper yet to compare side by side with the Innova, but I have tried the new Epson profiles for the Exhibition Fiber paper with the Innova on my 9800 and they do work quite well.  Innova's own profiles for the Ultra Smooth Gloss paper are NOT identical to Epson's but I would expect there to be some differences for profiles for the same paper depending upon how they were created.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151089\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 12:09:48 pm »

There have been reports from "reliable sources" that the Innova Fibaprint Ultra Smooth Gloss paper is essentailly the same paper as the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper.

Its also been reported that while they are very similar the Epson has a coating that is different and optimized for the Epson inksets.
Regards,
Ron

dealy663

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 01:12:58 pm »

I don't think that such reports are reliable at all.

I've heard over the years that Epson doesn't make its own papers, and that this or that is the same thing as the Epson product.

Well if that's the case why are Epson papers almost always free of defects, no bent corners, no paper curl, no uneven surfaces. Their products are remarkably consistent, and actually perform quite well. To date I've only seen one defect in an Epson sheet and that was a 17x22 piece of VFA, and it was a single small blemish.

So far the only 3rd party manufacturer that operates in the same league as Epson is Hahnemuhle. Innova, Premier and Crane all suffer from defects here and there (in my experience).

Epson may very well contract with other manufacturers to produce their papers, but if so they keep very tight quality control over the process, and seem to always make sure that these controls are not applied to papers destined for other manufacturers. Epson Exhibition Fiber (Maybe I'll be the first to use what will be a common acronym here - EFF) sounds like it is going to continue in that tradition.

There have been reports from "reliable sources" that the Innova Fibaprint Ultra Smooth Gloss paper is essentailly the same paper as the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. (Epson does nto make its own papers, and Innova probably does not either.) I have tried the Innova paper and it is superb. It is also available in rolls. I have not been able to obtain any samples ofthe Epson paper yet to compare side by side with the Innova, but I have tried the new Epson profiles for the Exhibition Fiber paper with the Innova on my 9800 and they do work quite well.  Innova's own profiles for the Ultra Smooth Gloss paper are NOT identical to Epson's but I would expect there to be some differences for profiles for the same paper depending upon how they were created.
Derek
[url=http://www.grandprixsw.com/Wo

awofinden

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 05:26:41 pm »

So looking forward to this new paper, I just tried the new Harman Gloss baryta paper and it is the best inkjet paper I've seen by a million miles, it does make epson luster look ill. It's a good time to be a photographer.

eleanorbrown

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 05:56:07 pm »

In my opinion the so called "luster" papers aren't even in the same league as these new papers--no comparison.  The epson samples I've tested of the Exhibition fiber was flawless--not only was attention given to the surface coating and texture, but the paper itself, is, in my book, "ideal"---it's sturdy, lays flat, feels good in hand.  I also like the new Harman paper and have tried the new Hahnemuhle paper but it was too glossy for my tastes and also felt a little "floppy" in hand.  eleanor

So looking forward to this new paper, I just tried the new Harman Gloss baryta paper and it is the best inkjet paper I've seen by a million miles, it does make epson luster look ill. It's a good time to be a photographer.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown

John Camp

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 09:34:18 pm »

To clear up a possible misconception, Epson will produce the paper in four sizes, NOT just the 24x30. I've got a 3800, and you guys had me worried for a moment... 8-)

Gonna try it as soon as I can get it.

JC

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 11:02:56 pm »

Hi Gang

I recieved Pricing on this product today and I posted it on my front page of the website. I am under the impression it will be available the week of the 19th..

My Company Shades Of Paper will be taking pre orders!

If you have questions Call my Office!

Cheers
Jim Doyle
www.shadesofpaper.com
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 11:29:47 pm »

Jesus tap dancing christ.  I'd have to call my banker.

Hi Gang

I recieved Pricing on this product today and I posted it on my front page of the website. I am under the impression it will be available the week of the 19th..

My Company Shades Of Paper will be taking pre orders!

If you have questions Call my Office!

Cheers
Jim Doyle
www.shadesofpaper.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151234\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 07:03:11 am »

I recieved Pricing on this product today and I posted it on my front page of the website.

www.shadesofpaper.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151234\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the list price. I'm sure you'll see that come down a little shortly.

hubell

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 09:40:21 am »

I did a quick comparison of this Innova paper 285 and the new epson exhibition gloss.  Used the Innova Imageprint profile for both papers and printed an identical file.  Surface is very very similar but these two papers are in different worlds as far as I'm concerned....the Innova 285 is flimsy, and lightweight and personally I would never use this paper for a client and it is horribly expensive for a paper that lightweight.  This epson is quite heavy and much stiffer, lays flat, feels substantial in hand, looks like a first rate fine art paper.  Keep in mind, however, that I have a strong personal preference for heavy weight papers.  eleanor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151092\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We must be talking about different papers. The Innova Ultra Smooth Gloss is hardly "flimsy". It's weight is about 10% less than the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. And it IS available in rolls. I spoke with the Epson Pro Graphics manager in NYC at Photo Expo last month and he confirmed that Epson will NOT be offering it in rolls, so it is a non-starter for anyone who prints large. (Most of the prints I sell run between 24x30 and 30x40.) I also find that the Epson and Innova papers have more of a lustre like surface than I prefer. The Harman version is smoother and, IMO, gets in the way less of looking into the image.
I do agree, BTW, with another poster about Epson's quality control. It is excellent. I have used Epson Premium Semi-Matte in rolls for years and it has been flawless. Not ideal because that paper is somewhat "flimsy", but I have been unwilling to accept the trade-off that we had to make until recently of deep blacks and a broad color gamut for a paper that feels better in the hand.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up