Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink is low - to print or not to print?  (Read 1646 times)

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
Ink is low - to print or not to print?
« on: November 06, 2007, 12:51:19 am »

Just wondering how to evaluate whether or not to print a largish print with my z3100, 40x50 inches, when the ink indicator says that the light gray cartridge is low. Can I change cartridges in mid print if necessary or will it eject the thing unfinished with 1 centimeter to go. There's a lot of black in the print I'm making.

thanks
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:52:49 am by sloow »

namartinnz

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 01:53:44 am »

Just wondering how to evaluate whether or not to print a largish print with my z3100, 40x50 inches, when the ink indicator says that the light gray cartridge is low. Can I change cartridges in mid print if necessary or will it eject the thing unfinished with 1 centimeter to go. There's a lot of black in the print I'm making.

thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150843\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you're unsure, change the cartridge as the Z3100 just stops.  You have to restart. What is your percent left?You can always put the old cartridge back in when you have small/non critical prints to do. One of the few annoying features with this printer. Seeing as it's so frugal with the ink I can live with it.

Neal
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 01:54:24 am by namartinnz »

Bob Walters

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 06:12:09 am »

thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150843\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeah..... I'm a bit disappointed with how my Z3100 handles low ink, especially since my DJ-130 does mid-print cartridge changes so beautifully.

With the Z3100 I usually continue to print with a low ink warning, but when it gets to "very low" who knows what's going to happen.  I have continued to do LOTS of printing with "low" warnings on several cartridges.  

It's frustrating to have the thing come to a stop just before finishing a big print and I reckon it's hard to figure out the cost of ink vs the cost of wasted media and then factor in some sort of an odds of running out early or late in the print. I'm trying to develop a feel for this, but it ain't easy.

Checking the ink volume in Color Center gives a clue, but it's based on a calculation, not a real "float gage" inside the cartridge.  It seems to be conservative, and I've been able to push the cartridges for many prints after the "low" warning is displayed.

My tendency is to keep printing and accept any paper/ink loss and cross my fingers that bad stuff will happen right away.  Yesterday a cartridge shot craps after 2" of a 36" print, so I'm running on good luck at the moment.
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up