Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: door with leaves  (Read 4372 times)

vin

door with leaves
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:38:26 pm »

here is a new picture. what do you think of it?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:04:45 pm by vin »

spidermike

door with leaves
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:25:27 am »

here is a new picture. what do you think of it?

I quite like it. The contrast in textures and shades works well to my eye and creates the sort of abstract I like.

The only thing that struck me was that having the focus right at the front of the picture with a relatively shallow DOF almost stops me being invited through the door. Moving the point of focus between the door and the second upright (and with maybe a couple of leaves further back as well) may 'pull' me through the door with the windblown leaves.

A nice picture

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
door with leaves
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 04:56:42 pm »

I like the feel the photo gives, I have to agree though, that the leaves behind the door loose focus quickly, which frustrates me a little as an observer, as I'm drawn immediately into the handle for the door, and the clumb of leaves just behind it.

The tones a very nice however.

vin

door with leaves
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 05:55:55 am »

thank you, guys. you are both right.

I wasn't in a perfect situation: the light was not much, and I didn't have a tripod. So I had to choose a shallow depth of field. But spidermike's suggestion is probably right: I should have tried to focus on other points...

There are many interesting images, in that place, and I'll probably return there soon.

Thanks!

popnfresh

door with leaves
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 02:13:06 pm »

There's an interesting photo here that can brought out with a little judicious cropping. There's too much out of focus background and doorway in the shot. The picture's subject is really the leaves on the floor in the foreground and the composition needs to revolve around them. The shot as you posted it contains too much that detracts from the image's potential.

I've taken the liberty of cropping your photo, and here's what I came up with. I think the composition is stronger. What do you think?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 02:18:31 pm by popnfresh »

popnfresh

door with leaves
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 02:24:03 pm »

Or maybe even this:

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 02:24:48 pm by popnfresh »

vin

door with leaves
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 06:31:21 pm »

mmmh, I don't know. I prefer the first one, of the two you posted. but I think that my version has something more. that feeling of something that goes on even out of the frame, given by the doors on the opposites...

But your cropping is nice indeed, and really focuses on the leaves.

Thank you for your suggestions!

papa v2.0

door with leaves
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 08:45:40 pm »

maybe it should be called
floor with leaves

the door is not apparent that it is a door!
and as the leaves take the eye across the floor the picture becomes out of focus, very fustrating

2/10

DarkPenguin

door with leaves
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:57:30 pm »

It has a great feel but my eye wanders all over the image.  I think this would be great with a tilt shift or lens baby.  Run the focus from the leaves in front right through the doors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up