Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpa and a digital back..?  (Read 19497 times)

pixjohn

Alpa and a digital back..?
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2007, 02:19:02 pm »

i shoot with the schneider 35xl and according to Leaf the 35HR lens is better with the Leaf back to reduce centerfold. I never tested it myself.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2007, 02:38:01 pm »

Yesterday I was working with a Horseman SWPRo and a phase one DB.
Really had to get used to  working this way.
Before i had a day experience with the Cambo wide DS and a Leaf back.

The Horseman to my taste is not a good camera at least for architectural work.
It is not geared, and if the screw is openend just a little to much the Phase back just slides down because of its weight.  I would never want to switch lenses in the cold with four of those little screws  that hold the lenspanel.
So Alpa defenitly is a good choice.
The other thing is that I couldn't get used to the wake up call of the back.
I even had a capture group cable that serves the back wake-up call and the lens shutter, but frequently made a mistake, waited to long.....
The shots are really nice... altough you really need the white-ref. final with every shot !
I was astounded by the fact that after taking a dark light shot of 19 minutes I had to wait 19 minutes for a processed file? the hours will fly by in the nighjt that way?!?!?!?
It's not my favorite back, but the software is nice! clean and crisp!
And the Lcc files are easy to handle.
Although as eric pointed out it is great as well when the colour correction is writen in the Raw File.

But I dislike the screen, this on ewas not a + series yet and it's suposed to be better.
Since I dislike working tethered with the laptop and avoid it as much as possible this is a good plus for the Leaf, to me that back worked easy.

Hopefully next week I'll be able to see a sinar at work.
Another question, rainer told me to go with the Rodenstock 35 MM HR  Lens, and I like the fact that is sharp very with open F-stops, as he wrote before in another post, but how much shift can that lens handle ?

Also when i wanted to write the captured to my macbook, they were tiff files, only when imported with C1 were they imported as RAW???  any light on that?

Thanks for all the great comments so far,

Maarten
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

centerfold does not exist with the sinar emotion75 backs,  
with the dalsa 22mp back ( sinar + leaf ) there should not be centerfold in any case.

the rodenstock 28 + 35HR have a shift of 13mm horizontal on the dalsa sensor,- app. 1 mm less on the kodak sensor. this does not sound much, but in practice its not so less,- at least its 33% of the image height or an equivalent of 1,3" on a 4x5" camera.  and i dont like shifting much more if the image quality decrease significant, and this was the case with the 35mm lenses i tested ( rodenstock digital ), after  shifting more than 15mm.

the reason why i asked eric if there is written a black reference file after the long time exposure is exactly that you have to wait the same time than the exposure again till the files are finished. you should be clear about your needs here, clearing for yourself if you will use so often this extreme long times that its a worthy point for the purchase decision.

only leaf and sinar ( with brumbaer ) provide dng files where the lcc file is applied to.

be sure if you try the sinar that you use the brumbaer tools,- and try to figure out the correct workflow ( not difficult but needs some concentration to do it right the first times, you can feel free to ask me  ).  it  can save you many hours in your daily shootings, at least if you use many white files- which will be the rule in architecture shootings.
although not 100% necessary with the dalsa 22 sensors ( in the leaf aptus22 and the emotion22/54 ) its the better way to shoot white files with the 22mp sensor too,- i.m.o..
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 02:38:35 pm by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

meurten

• http://www.maartennoordijk.nl
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2007, 03:26:36 pm »

Thanks for the info rainer.

the black reference is one more question to answer.
I looked up the specs on the Rodenstock. it says the lens has a movement range of 6 and 5mm at F 4, which is not much, considering when stopping down is willen even become less.

http://www.alpa.ch/files/products/154/rode...l_hr_e_2473.pdf

maybe I am not looking at the right specs please so say, if that may be the case.
Although I'm glas to hear that that it'd perfectly workable, and I think your right in not wanting to shift to much.
I will probably not be able tot test that Sinar at home but in their surroundings, at least I will take the files home and work with the Brumbear tools.

Maarten

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2007, 06:13:59 pm »

Thanks for the info rainer.

the black reference is one more question to answer.
I looked up the specs on the Rodenstock. it says the lens has a movement range of 6 and 5mm at F 4, which is not much, considering when stopping down is willen even become less.

http://www.alpa.ch/files/products/154/rode...l_hr_e_2473.pdf
maybe I am not looking at the right specs please so say, if that may be the case.
Although I'm glas to hear that that it'd perfectly workable, and I think your right in not wanting to shift to much.
I will probably not be able tot test that Sinar at home but in their surroundings, at least I will take the files home and work with the Brumbear tools.
Maarten
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152797\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
in  that case you should use the brumbaer reader on yout laptop and read out of the back the raw files and store them to some dvd or hd. alternativ you can copy the files in the back to the cf card and let brumbaer "reader" later to load the files down to your computer.

the sinar software transform the files meanwhile reading it from the back to their .sti format ( as leaf does to .mos ), which means the original raw dat is lost.
this has an effect esp. to the highlight data which is only contained to 100% in all its three channels in the original raw data,- the original raw data of the dalsa sensors persist of the *.IA ( image file ) and the *.BR files ( black reference ) .
to get the full info out of the raw the converter programm ( as brumbaer ) needs to get the full info which is created by the sensor and which is only contained as long the data is not converted to the manufactor specific format.
although brumbaer can read and convert ( to .dng ) the sinar *.sti files as well, the highlight information is about 1- 2 stops higher, if you let the programm work with the original raw data.

this shift claim for the 35mm is very conservativ.
i work since two years with both lenses, the 35+28HR and both allow, without vignetting,  horizontal shifts of 12-13mm and in portrait position around 10-11mm.
for the longer lenses rodenstock claims in their specs the same image circle from 70mm. i own and use as well the 60 + the 100HR.
the 60HR can be moved about 25mm and the 100HR even more,- without vignetting or sharpness decrease. this is the info for the dalsa sensor. the kodak sensor is a little bit larger, so little bit less movement.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up