Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP z3100 prints too dark  (Read 4775 times)

Natermo

• http://www.suncrestdigital.com
HP z3100 prints too dark
« on: November 05, 2007, 02:52:19 pm »

I am printing with the HP z3100 44" printer standard version.  I am printing from either PSCS3 or Qimage and using the Application manage color settings in the z3100 driver and using the appropriate profile.  I have seen dark prints on both the HP pro matte canvas and Epson Luster roll 250 and others, so it seems to be a global thing.  I have a calibrated monitor and color seems to be really close.  The problem I am having is the prints are too dark.  What I have done that seems to work so far is to go into the advanced color settings in the driver and increase the brightness to +10.  I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it but would like to know if anyone else has experienced this.  

Nathaniel
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 02:52:36 pm by Natermo »

rdonson

HP z3100 prints too dark
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 03:26:05 pm »

I am printing with the HP z3100 44" printer standard version.  I am printing from either PSCS3 or Qimage and using the Application manage color settings in the z3100 driver and using the appropriate profile.  I have seen dark prints on both the HP pro matte canvas and Epson Luster roll 250 and others, so it seems to be a global thing.  I have a calibrated monitor and color seems to be really close.  The problem I am having is the prints are too dark.  What I have done that seems to work so far is to go into the advanced color settings in the driver and increase the brightness to +10.  I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it but would like to know if anyone else has experienced this. 

Nathaniel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150738\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What do the images look like when you softproof them with the appropriate printer profile in CS3?
Regards,
Ron

Natermo

• http://www.suncrestdigital.com
HP z3100 prints too dark
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 03:54:28 pm »

What do the images look like when you softproof them with the appropriate printer profile in CS3?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150744\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Softproofing is still much brighter than the print.  I used gamma 2.2 with the Monaco EZ color setup.  I'm not sure what luminosity I am using unless this is the gamma setting.

Nathaniel

rdonson

HP z3100 prints too dark
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:32:40 pm »

Softproofing is still much brighter than the print.  I used gamma 2.2 with the Monaco EZ color setup.  I'm not sure what luminosity I am using unless this is the gamma setting.

Nathaniel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150750\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nathaniel,

Luminosity is not the gamma setting.  Its usually expressed in cd/m2.  It's possible that your monitor is simply too bright.

When calibrating and profiling my monitor I choose the settings shown below.  I don't have the Monaco product so I'm showing what it looks like in my X-Rite/Gretag software.

The end result should provide information on how linear the calibration/profiling turned out.  Something like this:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 05:33:12 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Geoff Wittig

HP z3100 prints too dark
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 05:36:21 pm »

There are a few older threads mentioning the same issue. If your monitor is accurately calibrated and your profiles good, your prints should be in the ballpark. The biggest problem may simply be the disparity between a reflective CMYK print and a transmissive RGB monitor. My experience has been when a print from my Z3100 is well lit, the shadow detail is there, but it's difficult to see it in dim or casual room lighting.

I picked up several relevant pointers from the Atkinson/Cramer printing workshop in Toronto. First, run the eyedropper over your image before you hit the print button, and see what kind of L numbers you get in the LAB panel. If your detailed shadows are running L values in the less than 20 range, they will print so dark you won't be able to perceive detail unless the print is (very) brightly lit. You may want to "lift" the shadows a bit with a curves layer. Second, try hitting the "f" key a few times in Photoshop to switch between screen modes. If you keep a grey border around the image on screen, it may look "brighter" to your eye than it should. If you study it with a wider white border (like a matte) around the image area, it will look a little darker to your eye, and closer to the appearance of the eventual print.

If all else fails, I find it useful to keep a "reference print" handy, one with decent shadow detail. I bring up the same file on screen and look at the perceptual difference in the shadows, so I have a better idea of how another image will translate, before wasting another $10 sheet of paper.

This works for me; as always, YMMV.

dkeyes

• http://
HP z3100 prints too dark
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 06:25:29 pm »

I've heard from many people that the newer Mac lcd displays are too bright to be accurate. If your using one of these, that may be the problem. Seems some LCD makers are pumping up the contrast and brightness at the expense of accuracy.
- Doug

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
HP z3100 prints too dark
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 11:38:54 am »

You can calibrate a LCD from 120-140 cd/m2 without problem.
If you calibrate less than this you will have some bias or banding in the highlights. Depending on the monitor, you will also find artifacts in the shadows too.
Since the scaling is going to be relative, your prints will look darker unless you use a pretty strong light.
If you calibrate to 5000 K you will force a less bright screen, but truth is , LCD screens like native temperature better.
The most recent screens at 14 bit though are a lot more tolerant to adjustments at the user end.
Also if you print with relative and without BPC the print should be lighter too on Satin type of papers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up