Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 V6 odd behavior  (Read 8557 times)

rdonson

Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« on: November 04, 2007, 08:59:45 pm »

I'm experiencing some odd behavior with the latest firmware, driver and print utility that I didn't have with the previous versions.

My system is Windows XP Pro SP2 with all the latest updates.  Connection to the printer is via ethernet.

I'm printing from Qimage Studio - latest version

I can print a job or two just fine then the weirdness begins.  Here's the scenario:

I wake the printer up by pressing the button under the "X" on the printer console because it doesn't wake up on its own when you print to it.

I then setup the print job in Qimage and driver and tell everything to print as usual.  Qimage does its thing and the print job is delivered to the Windows print spool.

The job never makes it to the printer.  It just sits in Windows and says "printing".  I use the print utility to see if it can talk to the printer and everything seems just fine.  After about 10 minutes I give up and "cancel" the print job.  It doesn't cancel the print job so after about 5 minutes I shut the machine down.  In these examples the typical print job is around 185 MB, hardly a taxing size for this system.

Upon reboot I "delete" the print job that Windows has remembered.  It deletes it but now the print driver has lost its marbles.  I've lost all my custom print sizes and it won't take any new ones.

I delete the print driver, re-install, re-sync the papers and everything seems fine for a day or two and then the whole thing starts over again.  

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 09:19:19 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 10:14:31 pm »

Next time you need to cancel a print job in Windows, after Purging the Print Queue, open a command prompt (Start Button | Run | 'cmd" ) and type:

net stop spooler

You'll see the print susbsystem shut down, when the prompt returns type:

net start spooler

This should allow windows to succesfully delete the pending job in the c:\windows\system32\spool\[specific printer queue] folder.  The reason things can get stuck, is the printer driver has the file "open", windows is unable to delete any file held open by another process.  

Hopefully this will save you a few reboots . . .  -John

rdonson

Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 06:25:44 am »

Thank you so much, John and George.  I will add this to my repertoire for dealing with the spooler.  It is heartening to know that others have experienced this as well.

It would seem that this is the HP driver misbehaving rather than Windows or does it take two to tango?
Regards,
Ron

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 09:10:05 am »

Exact same issue with me as well, except that I do not use Qimage.  I also experienced this issue with the previous driver as well. I'm on XP Pro SP2.

After a reboot to clear the "remembered" print job, and subsequent custom paper size losses, I would resort to deleting the printer and reinstalling the driver.

This has happened to me twice already with the new driver.

Thanks to John and George for their suggestions on clearing the print spooler. I hope it saves a lot of time and frustration.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 10:09:26 am »

To cancel a job I use the X button on the printer. In practice I have seen that that usually clears the spooler better and gives no problems for the next job. Other ways of ending a print job and spooling especially with Qimage input seem to give more residue in the spooler.

Is that related to what is described in the other messages ?

Ernst Dinkla

try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 10:48:44 am »

I've had this problem as well, Z3100ps, XP Pro, printer wouldn 't wake up.I called HP tech support and it was an issue with the network setting of the printer.

What he had me do:

1) Under Printer and Faxes, right click on the Z3100 and select Properties
2) Select the 3rd Tab, "Ports"
3) Select "Add a Port" then Select Standard TCP/IP, click add port
4) A wizard comes up for the TCP/IP port.  You'll need to know what the TCP/IP address is of your printer, easily seen on the printer's front panel.
5) Follow the wizard.

It's cured my problem.

Stu

rdonson

Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:48:47 am »

To cancel a job I use the X button on the printer. In practice I have seen that that usually clears the spooler better and gives no problems for the next job. Other ways of ending a print job and spooling especially with Qimage input seem to give more residue in the spooler.

Is that related to what is described in the other messages ?
Ernst Dinkla

try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150675\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Ernst.

I'll give the X button a try the next time this happens.  HP is a little cryptic on what that button actually does.  "Cancel key - To abort a procedure or interaction."

If that doesn't work then I'll use the spool procedures described above.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 08:37:27 pm »

I've got the same problem quite often with Windows Xp and my Z3100 so what I did was a batch file to stop, clear and start the spooler in one click. I named it refresh spooler.bat and here is the code

net stop spooler
del %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.* /q /s
net start spooler

Hope it helps

Best
George
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150643\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Works like a champ, George.  Thanks so much for the tip!!!
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:55:52 am »

I've had this problem as well, Z3100ps, XP Pro, printer wouldn 't wake up.I called HP tech support and it was an issue with the network setting of the printer.

What he had me do:

1) Under Printer and Faxes, right click on the Z3100 and select Properties
2) Select the 3rd Tab, "Ports"
3) Select "Add a Port" then Select Standard TCP/IP, click add port
4) A wizard comes up for the TCP/IP port.  You'll need to know what the TCP/IP address is of your printer, easily seen on the printer's front panel.
5) Follow the wizard.

It's cured my problem.

Stu
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150685\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Stu, there are options/choices when creating a new port for the printer.  Did you just take whatever the default settings were?
Regards,
Ron

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:01:06 am »

Stu, there are options/choices when creating a new port for the printer.  Did you just take whatever the default settings were?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151501\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, I made sure to specify "Standard TCP/IP Port" then keyed in the IP address of the printer on my network.

S.

rdonson

Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 12:57:04 pm »

No, I made sure to specify "Standard TCP/IP Port" then keyed in the IP address of the printer on my network.

S.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151510\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Stu.  I must be brain damaged today but its not going as well as I expected.  Here's the screen sequences I'm encountering.

Regards,
Ron

rdonson

Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 01:28:31 pm »

Ron, are you sure this is the IP address of the printer?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151539\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes.  It's what's on the printer front panel and what the print driver is currently using.  It does talk to the printer, it just doesn't wake the printer up when its asleep.

The printer utility is successfully reporting info on the printer

The odd thing is that a ping of that IP address fails.

I wonder if my firewall is getting in the way.  I'll have to test that.

edit:  it appears to have been a firewall issue.  I changed firewall settings and things seem to be working normally.  More testing is in order but a ping works and the setting up the TCP/IP port works as it should.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 01:45:51 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

casterle

Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 07:21:24 pm »

Yes.  It's what's on the printer front panel and what the print driver is currently using.  It does talk to the printer, it just doesn't wake the printer up when its asleep.
Ron, your printer’s IP address looks strange. Generally, your private network will have an address starting with 192.168.0 rather than 192.168.2 (assuming a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0).

Take a look at your computer’s IP address and see if it starts with 192.168.0 or 192.168.2, and check your subnet mask as well. The quickest way to find this info is to type:

ipconfig /all

at a DOS prompt. Your net address and subnet mask will be among the info listed.

What do you find?

-Leroy

rdonson

Z3100 V6 odd behavior
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 01:48:06 pm »

Ron, your printer’s IP address looks strange. Generally, your private network will have an address starting with 192.168.0 rather than 192.168.2 (assuming a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0).

Take a look at your computer’s IP address and see if it starts with 192.168.0 or 192.168.2, and check your subnet mask as well. The quickest way to find this info is to type:

ipconfig /all

at a DOS prompt. Your net address and subnet mask will be among the info listed.

What do you find?

-Leroy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151608\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Leroy,

Its correct.  I make my living as a computer geek and I'm a bit paranoid since I'm running Windows machines so I have a few subnets set up.  Its not the standard Mom and Pop out of the box home network.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up