Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you hate HDR too?  (Read 345296 times)

Professional

Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2009, 10:16:58 pm »

Some of my bad examples HDR

Professional

Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2009, 10:47:06 pm »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2009, 09:13:40 am »

Quote from: GLuijk
This is a very high dynamic range scene (about 12 f-stops from the ceiling to the chair shadows), it looks natural, and it was achieved just with 3 shoots of the camera and a couple of curves in Photoshop. No need for any piece of software containing the word 'HDR':
Nice shot.
Is that the 'old fashioned' way of masking off areas of the three images corrected to look the same?
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2009, 02:28:44 am »

This is a great thread with many spectacular illustrations, tips and a lot of technical nuances and software comparisons.

I hadn’t head of HDR before I started reading. It provides a means of getting a richer and more complete range of tones and enables pushing some limits of the media. It can be over used (easily, because it is so cool), but when used with restraint the end result is well worth the effort. It amounts to a great set of tools. I know of many instances of shooting snowy winter-scapes that this would help to keep the details of snow from being clipped while showing features in dense forest.

The article referenced b Jonathan Wienke (above) was an excellent read

Now to find time to experiment….

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2009, 09:20:43 am »

Quote from: jjj
Nice shot.
Is that the 'old fashioned' way of masking off areas of the three images corrected to look the same?
It was the same as you mention, but automated with Zero Noise. Then the resulting underexposed image had the shadows lifted and contrast enhanced using 2 curves in Photoshop.

This was the blending scheme:

And here is the resulting image with the 2 curves.

BR

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2009, 02:31:36 pm »

Fascinating! But here's the kind of subject for which HDR really was designed. With LDR it simply wouldn't have been possible to hang on to important details like the smudges on the seats or the crusty-looking screen decaying at the back of the right stall. Used correctly, HDR can transport you to a whole new world of smudges and crusts.

[attachment=13140:Center_Hill_John.jpg]
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2009, 10:10:32 am »

I loved it so much that I was going to make an eBook on it but then the buzz got way to much and it wasn't unique anymore. Anyone with a point and shoot could take photos that looked like everyone elses.

Dusted off my Singh-Ray grad ND filters and never looked back.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2009, 02:15:16 pm »

I find your approach fscinating, but I was never able to figure out how to use your program. Heck, I can't even get your web link in your signature to work. Has Zero Noise gotten any easier to use?

Quote from: GLuijk
It was the same as you mention, but automated with Zero Noise. Then the resulting underexposed image had the shadows lifted and contrast enhanced using 2 curves in Photoshop.

This was the blending scheme:

And here is the resulting image with the 2 curves.

BR
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

semillerimages

• http://www.semillerimages.com
Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2009, 07:08:12 pm »

Kirk,

I just barely got an image to work from Zero noise today and it was a big pain!
I almost gave up, but then finally after rereading the instructions a couple of times I was able to piece together the final workflow. I will try it on another image to see if I can come up with similar results and if I do, I will try to make out a little easier workflow tutorial than what has been seen so far.

Cheers,

*steve

Quote from: Kirk Gittings
I find your approach fscinating, but I was never able to figure out how to use your program. Heck, I can't even get your web link in your signature to work. Has Zero Noise gotten any easier to use?
semillerimages.com

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #171 on: June 15, 2009, 07:46:52 pm »

Thanks I would appreciate that.

Quote from: semillerimages
Kirk,

I just barely got an image to work from Zero noise today and it was a big pain!
I almost gave up, but then finally after rereading the instructions a couple of times I was able to piece together the final workflow. I will try it on another image to see if I can come up with similar results and if I do, I will try to make out a little easier workflow tutorial than what has been seen so far.

Cheers,

*steve
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2009, 09:42:45 pm »

I use Photomatix as part of my workflow regularly.  I expose very similiarly to how GLuijk works then run an exposure blend of two or three exposures.  It serves as a base for my imaging.  Here's the result of the three exposures posted earlier using Photomatix.  I really like how Gluijk's program looks but I work on Mac's and unless the program has evolved it's my understanding that it's a Windows based application.  Jim
[attachment=14832:fus_copy...adjust_1.jpg]

semillerimages

• http://www.semillerimages.com
Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2009, 12:31:42 pm »

I tried my best to duplicate the fantastic results that have been shown by zero noise's author and I was able to see the benefits of the technique, but my photoshop skills just are not up to creating the final image as well as has been shown.
I was hoping for a little less photoshop work, but alas that does not seem to be the case here with zero noise.

*steve

Quote from: Kirk Gittings
Thanks I would appreciate that.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:32:05 pm by semillerimages »
semillerimages.com

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2009, 06:47:43 pm »

Quote from: semillerimages
I tried my best to duplicate the fantastic results that have been shown by zero noise's author and I was able to see the benefits of the technique, but my photoshop skills just are not up to creating the final image as well as has been shown.
I was hoping for a little less photoshop work, but alas that does not seem to be the case here with zero noise.
In fact Zero Noise does not any post processing at all, it's just an optimum (in terms of noise and sharpness) RAW merger. But all the tone mapping PP work has to be done by the user or other application.

I do it with curves, and it doesn't take too long to obtain good results. But you must preserve in the use of curves, people usually give up quickly (not knowing what they are loosing when doing so).

Find here some samples of images straight from ZN with the curves in layers to process them:
- Meeting room
- Office
- Rest room

They don't intend to be perfect, just samples of the use of curves done from a laptop.

Regards.

RomanJohnston

Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2009, 02:12:30 pm »

Hate is kinda harsh. I see HDR growing but I dont think we have realized its potential yet. Most people are a bit hamfisted with the controls and it takes out the microcontrast in the pictures making them look flat.

For me...not viable yet as an option, but I eagrly await advances as it is a very promising idea.

Roman

Stephane Desnault

Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2009, 03:20:04 am »

Photomatix does HDR but also exposure blending. The "HS Adjust" method they have uses the same algoritms as enfuse, and will usually bring the most natural results.

I use exposure blending or HDR routinely for 360 panoramas, where the dynamic range of the full pano is way over the dynamic range of a DSLR. Jacques Joffre, the inventor of Photomatix is a talented panoramist, and created it out of his frustration with manually blending exposures in Photoshop (that was before CS2 of course).

Also, in real estate photography, exposure blending is usually required when there's a nice vista you want to show along with the interior - either that or spend 45mn adjusting strobes to light the room to the level of the outside without creating too many tell tales shadows.

TimG

Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2009, 04:51:25 pm »

Quote from: RomanJohnston
Most people are a bit hamfisted with the controls

It's like a lot of things these days; a little goes a long way.  Whether it is HDR or a plugin like Nik Color Efex, there's always going to be people who "punch it to 11".

I still prefer the "old" method of digital blending.  Layer masks offer incredible flexibility and control once you get the hang of it.

sbunting108

• Simon Bunting Photography
Re: Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2010, 04:32:53 pm »

I don't hate HDR I just don't like it when it's really surrealist. I like HDR when its subtle and the viewer cannot even tell that is HDR. Generall if I use HDR I just keep the setting on Photorealistic in CS5

sailronin

• David Reams Photography
Re: Do you hate HDR too?
« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2010, 08:30:40 pm »

Overdone HDR is way too popular right now.  Too many people doing something that has gotten a lot of attention and they haven't learned to control the technique.

On the other hand, all of us old enough to remember the Zone System and actually practiced expanded and contracted development were doing exactly the same thing on film. Expanding the dynamic range of the medium through water bath/compensating development (I used D-23 and water bath), burning and dodging, etc to allow 11 zones of contrast to be compressed into an 8 zone latitude of film. Same thing, just more complicated and more difficult to execute so not so many people were doing the same thing.

Dave
Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17   Go Up